• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2014 SNA and NFO Board

Bronco

Lurking Member
While we're on the subject of misinformation. I just had a conversation with a friend who is interested in officer programs... someone that is double majoring in physics AND aerospace engineering with a solid GPA... so long story short, has located and been in conversation with recruiters from different branches and was scheduled for and took the ASVAB(!!) because they were told their only option is to enlist first and then try to become an officer! What!? So what can I do but to share my experience and all of the information I have (part of that being to make sure they are talking to an OR). I pointed my friend in the direction of this and other forums too.

brogdawg32

While we're on the subject of misinformation. I just had a conversation with a friend who is interested in officer programs... someone that is double majoring in physics AND aerospace engineering with a solid GPA... so long story short, has located and been in conversation with recruiters from different branches and was scheduled for and took the ASVAB(!!) because they were told their only option is to enlist first and then try to become an officer! What!? So what can I do but to share my experience and all of the information I have (part of that being to make sure they are talking to an OR). I pointed my friend in the direction of this and other forums too.
When I first became interested in serving, I called a USAF recruiter (this was over a year ago)....The first person I talked to was an enlisted recruiter. He tried to spin me the same BS....Once I got in touch with the OR for them he set it straight. Is your friend talking to an OR or enlisted recruiter?

Bronco

Lurking Member
When I first became interested in serving, I called a USAF recruiter (this was over a year ago)....The first person I talked to was an enlisted recruiter. He tried to spin me the same BS....Once I got in touch with the OR for them he set it straight. Is your friend talking to an OR or enlisted recruiter?

Yup, USAF enlisted recruiter... so I told her to ask to speak with an OR and I also gave her my OR's info to get info for the Navy side of things. I guess the AF doesn't have many recruiters in the area so it can be difficult to locate ORs in particular.

brogdawg32

Bronco is it in our area? because it's literally the exact same thing I went through, could even be the same enlisted recruiter LOL...took me forever to find the OR.

Bronco

Lurking Member
Bronco is it in our area? because it's literally the exact same thing I went through, could even be the same enlisted recruiter LOL...took me forever to find the OR.

Yeah, and kind of weird for a place like Los Angeles... especially when the AF seems to have several big bases and healthy ROTC detachments around.

Mozart

I can tell you the same thing happened to me. I wanted to go Navy but I was talking with AF recruiters. I had multiple tell me there were no AF boards this year and that I had to go enlisted. My uncle is a USAF graduate and my best friend is also, they tried their hardest to get me in touch with someone so that I could at least consider going AF, but they never got a hold of the CO OR and were told the same thing by others. Thankfully, though, because I DO love the Navy.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I deal with applicants all the time who previously considered Air Force or Army but backed out because quotas are full and/or they had to enlist prior to becoming an officer.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I deal with applicants all the time who previously considered Air Force or Army but backed out because quotas are full and/or they had to enlist prior to becoming an officer.

I'm curious why that is. Is it that the AF/Army are suffering bigger reductions in force than the Navy, or is it more that people don't like the idea of deploying on a ship or don't like the Navy's mission so they apply to the AF and Army first?

I'm curious why that is. Is it that the AF/Army are suffering bigger reductions in force than the Navy, or is it more that people don't like the idea of deploying on a ship or don't like the Navy's mission so they apply to the AF and Army first?

I can't speak for the Army but I can tell you that the Air Force has the most ideal way of life. Unless you have a job like mine which has a high deployment rate you will be home with your family for most occasions. The Air Force tends to have the nicest and newest amentities whether it be gear, weapons, or vehicles. All the gear that was issued to me such as NVG's and M-4 were all brand new. They also tend to put you in the nicest hotels when you are TDY or doing training outside your home station.

Facepalm

SNA hopeful
None that I'm aware of.

I'm physically having to stay away from the forums because I don't want my excitement to come off as impatience. I'm so nervous about my kit not making this board, but in the end now that it has all been submitted there isn't anything I can do. So I've been working on PRT, playing some games, studying the gouge, and practicing my ASTB (should I need to retake it, which I recognize is a real possibility).

So... What is everyone else up to to kill time?
You have the same exact scores that I have on the ASTB. The Captian I interviewed with for my app told me that my scores were fine. He actually told me he had the same exact scores as I so I'm not sweating it. With that being said I'd only retake it if you don't get selected and they hint that it was your ASTB that was holding you back. Better take a passing score and go with it than retake it and do worse, because you're stuck with your most recent score, not your highest. Which I'm sure you know, good luck!

As to what I'm doing to kill time. I'm training for a natural bodybuilding show.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

I think you pretty much explained it in a nutshell.

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
You have the same exact scores that I have on the ASTB. The Captian I interviewed with for my app told me that my scores were fine. He actually told me he had the same exact scores as I so I'm not sweating it. With that being said I'd only retake it if you don't get selected and they hint that it was your ASTB that was holding you back. Better take a passing score and go with it than retake it and do worse, because you're stuck with your most recent score, not your highest. Which I'm sure you know, good luck!

As to what I'm doing to kill time. I'm training for a natural bodybuilding show.
Well that is pretty reassuring. I've been on edge this whole time about my scores not being good enough. I'm not retaking it until this board meets... Now just to see if my kit makes it to board status before they meet.

Mitigates

Pro-Rec Y SNA
Well that is pretty reassuring. I've been on edge this whole time about my scores not being good enough. I'm not retaking it until this board meets... Now just to see if my kit makes it to board status before they meet.

Honestly I think you'll be fine, in relation to the scores that were picked up last board provided the rest of your package is solid I wouldn't stress it.

brogdawg32

I'll definitely be doing a retake and signing right up for the next board if I don't get picked up here. I only had about 5 days to prepare for the ASTB -_-