• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2014 SNA and NFO Board

brogdawg32

My understanding is you have to wait a year before you can reapply.
I believe it's 6 months...however if you have a significant change in your packet (such as you get a PPL or you improve ASTB scores)...you can bypass the 6 month wait. That was my understanding

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
I believe it's 6 months...however if you have a significant change in your packet (such as you get a PPL or you improve ASTB scores)...you can bypass the 6 month wait. That was my understanding
Well thats good because in 10 months I'll be 27... And being a non-prior well, we know the rest of the story.

I'll definitely be doing a retake and signing right up for the next board if I don't get picked up here. I only had about 5 days to prepare for the ASTB -_-
I had been studying on and off for the ASTB, 30 minutes here and there for a month or so, but the day before I actually took it my OR called me and said: "I have a slot tomorrow or end of next week, pick one." I chose the tomorrow one (at that time) because I needed my kit done ASAP since this board was coming up.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I can't speak for the Army but I can tell you that the Air Force has the most ideal way of life. Unless you have a job like mine which has a high deployment rate you will be home with your family for most occasions. The Air Force tends to have the nicest and newest amentities whether it be gear, weapons, or vehicles. All the gear that was issued to me such as NVG's and M-4 were all brand new. They also tend to put you in the nicest hotels when you are TDY or doing training outside your home station.

Yeah I've heard that, it has to be a pretty nice lifestyle. Personally I'd choose getting to see the world and live in places like SD and Pensacola over than living in Montana or Alaska with the newest toys, but that's just me. I guess as with everything in life, every option has it's pros and cons.

exNavyOffRec

I'm curious why that is. Is it that the AF/Army are suffering bigger reductions in force than the Navy, or is it more that people don't like the idea of deploying on a ship or don't like the Navy's mission so they apply to the AF and Army first?

Don't forget the CG, I have talked to many who said they wanted to go into the CG so they didn't have to deploy overseas, met a few CG recruiters that would spout that same info to applicants.

cb812

SNA
Just trying to stay active and busy while I wait. Got a duathlon that I'm running/biking this weekend, then heading down to Moab for some camping and hiking next weekend. A lot to look forward to right now!

Mozart

Im running the Bolder Boulder next month. 10k in Boulder, CO. I have my 1.5 mile down to an easy 11.30 min at 6000 ft. At sea level a couple weeks ago it was 10.45 with medium effort. I think my 10k is at about 58 minutes.

Need to work on those pushup though. I seem to have maxed out at 55, Luckly theres alot of time to work at it.

brogdawg32

Once a week a long slow distance run of 5.5 miles (increasing by .5 miles weekly). Then twice a week interval sprints (2 x 1/2 mile, 4 x .1/4 mile, 6 x 1/8 mile). Once a week run at 80-90% of max speed for 15-20 min, and test my 1.5 mile on sundays.

I also have a weight vest and occasionally mix that into my runs when I'm feeling up to it. I use about 30lb

varlogkern

If Navy plans didn't exist I would like to be at a half marathon by Christmas. Right now I am at about a 29 minute 5k. (And 12:07 1.5mi). I was running 6x a week but that has been slowed way down, as I tweaked my ankle last week so I'll be doing maintenance runs until it gets back to 100%.
But since Navy plans do exist I'd like to be sub 10min for the 1.5mi before I leave. But I'm concentrating on distance and endurance and likely will be for the next 2-3 months.

@brogdawg32 that is a pretty good plan. I'm not up to the physical fitness level needed to pull that off yet but I'm almost there.

It seems like there are several distance runners in here. Any tips on gaining distance without injury?

Also FWIW my kit is at the PM now. Is it still hit or miss whose kits are in "At PM" and "at board" status who has had their paperwork in for at least a few weeks?

Mitigates

Pro-Rec Y SNA
Also FWIW my kit is at the PM now. Is it still hit or miss whose kits are in "At PM" and "at board" status who has had their paperwork in for at least a few weeks?

I have had my packet in since Feb and was a PROBOARD status as of Last monday.

Mark Spanel

Really hope my kit will make it in time. My OR said that he had it submitted by the end of last week. But after looking all over this place, my chances don't look so good lol. If I don't get selected for/offered an officer slot, I'm gonna enlist.

What am I doing while I wait? Finishing up my degree, gym, trying to go see my fiancée up in Great Lakes soon. She finishes ATT soon so I hope she has a break between that and her a school so I can see her

brogdawg32

Nothing's confirmed but what I've seen around here is it seems like it needed to be at PM at least a week before the board convenes to make it, which generally means initial submission 2 weeks before the board meets

varlogkern

Nothing's confirmed but what I've seen around here is it seems like it needed to be at PM at least a week before the board convenes to make it, which generally means initial submission 2 weeks before the board meets
I know my kit is going to be cutting it close, and by close I mean within days.

It's amazing how much one who isn't all too religious prays when his application is up at the board. I hope to see lots of happy posts in the next few weeks!
I couldn't agree more.