• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your major and career

JTB7

I am in NROTC and wondering what I should end up majoring in. I feel as if majoring in aeronautical engineering/mechanical engineering would be beneficial to being a pilot in the Navy/USMC, but how beneficial? I know it sways rankings/helps you get a pilot slot, but I am more thinking about when one hits the fleet. Is it worth it to spend that extra ten+ hours a week studying for engineering vs. an easier technical major?

The Phiz

pilot
Hahahahaha. No. (IMO)

An Engineering Degree can _CAN_ help you earn a scholarship or maybe rank higher (if you don't tank classes).... but I haven't seen any split in flight school performance (as another student) from the Aero. Engineers to the Womans study majors. All the math in flight school, and almost all of the relevant science is upper high school level. The hardest math I have to do right now? Add and subtract 180 from numbers. Maybe you'll have to do some fast addition or subtraction while doing a maneuver and thinking about whats coming next....

I started as an engineer and switched majors because I pretty much hated it... Got my scholarship as an engineer, picked up the flight slot with a non-tech major (Tier II in the new system I think), and did fine in API...

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I am in NROTC and wondering what I should end up majoring in. I feel as if majoring in aeronautical engineering/mechanical engineering would be beneficial to being a pilot in the Navy/USMC, but how beneficial? I know it sways rankings/helps you get a pilot slot, but I am more thinking about when one hits the fleet. Is it worth it to spend that extra ten+ hours a week studying for engineering vs. an easier technical major?

I have been instructing students for almost ten years. I have not seen a trend in performance for degree type, commisioning source, athelete vs pudgy computer dude, etc. There are dumbasses and rock stars in every category.

Pick a major you will enjoy and do well. If you enjoy the technical stuff and do well then good, but don't go and get a technical degree you hate and end up with a marginal GPA.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
One of the first things the Navy will look at are your grades in school. Generally people get better grades in classes they are interested in, therefore major in what you think is the most interesting course.
Also remember that you will leave the Navy at some point, whether it's in 7 years or 30. You will need to find another career and your undergrad degree may help in that search, so my advice is major in what interests you and do the best you can in those classes.

beaverslayer

pilot
I have been instructing students for almost ten years. I have not seen a trend in performance for degree type, commisioning source, athelete vs pudgy computer dude, etc. There are dumbasses and rock stars in every category.

Pick a major you will enjoy and do well. If you enjoy the technical stuff and do well then good, but don't go and get a technical degree you hate and end up with a marginal GPA.

+1. I'm only in primary, but I can tell you that my anthropology major isn't hurting me. I chose it because it was something interesting to me and I enjoyed it, which definitely helped with my GPA as well. Choose something that you will enjoy and do well at.

Pags

N/A
pilot
One of the first things the Navy will look at are your grades in school. Generally people get better grades in classes they are interested in, therefore major in what you think is the most interesting course.
Also remember that you will leave the Navy at some point, whether it's in 7 years or 30. You will need to find another career and your undergrad degree may help in that search, so my advice is major in what interests you and do the best you can in those classes.
1. To get a pilot slot, you need good grades.
2. You're not guaranteed a pilot slot nor a naval career. I've seen a few guys get medically attrited for stuff they never knew they had or various other reasons. Make sure you have a valid Plan B to fall back on if flying doesn't pan out.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think everyone's in agreement. If you are interested in engineering, then do engineering. Don't do it because you think the Navy will like it more. A 3.5 in history is still better than a 2.5 in aero.

One other thing. If you want to be a pilot, don't major in "aerospace management," "professional aeronautics," or a trade-school-ish degree (aero engineering is a real subject...it's okay). You don't want to be a civilian one day looking for an airline pilot job during a downturn and your fallback position is working in airline operations.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot

That right there is the pure truth. Do what you like and you will excel at it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What phrog said.

I'm a history major, Mrs Fester majored in Music and minored in Hebraic Studies. I've known aviators who majored in everything from nuclear engineering to pre-med to landscape architecture and Portuguese. They all got winged. More to the point, I've seen Aero Eng majors attrite before they even got to Primary.

It's been said here before, but bears repeating: aviation is a trade, not an education. You don't need a deep academic background to make it through the program, or the Navy would have made it mandatory. Major in something you like, and that you'll want to pursue as a career if this Navy Air thing doesn't pan out. If you want to do something in the field after you leave the Navy, they'll care about the flight hours and quals you got while you were in, not what you majored in at school. I work in flight test as a civvie now.

JTB7

Thanks for the input everyone, it's great getting advice here from real officers that are/were in the fleet. In the end I'll choose what I am interested in and excel in it.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Do what you want and get good grades. That all being said, an Engineering degree will probably never hurt you. It's certianly opened doors for me. Just don't over think shit in flight school.

phrogpilot73

Put it this way - you pick a major because you think it will look good to the Navy/Marine Corps. You really aren't interested in it, and it causes you to fail out. Insurmountable? No. But it's much harder.

<-- Chose Electrical Engineering for the wrong reason... Has a degree in Computer Science for a reason.

ahernandez

I agree with phrogpilot73 - it's not about picking what you think they want. Pick what YOURE good at, where your passion lies, and give them the REAL skill set you have.

jtmedli

pilot
<-- Chose Electrical Engineering for the wrong reason... Has a degree in Computer Science for a reason.

Ha, me too. That EE crap was hard. Got my degree in it though. Many a'semester where I had a 35 avg and somehow came out of it with a B. I have no idea how the grading system works around that place.