• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your background

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmc9280

I was curious to know how people came about deciding to become a Marine and or a pilot. I know many of you have wanted it since you were little but yet I know we all have different backgrounds. I for one, never imagined myself as a military man or even a Marine for that matter until I was in my Senior yr. in college. Hence the business degree rather than engineering. I always wanted to be a pilot. Maturity and a desire to be the best made me decide to be a Marine. 911 definitly was a slap in the face as well. Does everyone else pretty much have the same story? Any unique tales?

Kevin

reapergm

Always wanted to be a Marine... though never prepared for it, mentally or physically. Until I graduated college. Only wanted Marines. Took interest in OCS for intelligence training. When I was driving with my Sgt to the MEPS physical, I mentioned how I wished I had good eye sight, how Ive always wanted to be a pilot. Then he mentioned if I ever thought about being an NFO, with a possibility of corrective eye surgery. I dont care how many years Im contracted... I cant pass this chance up! Whether or not I do ever get to control the aircraft, being an NFO is still one of the coolest jobs I could dream of. -reaper

Attilla

I'm in a similar boat. The marines are a big part of my family history yet I never realy thought about it until my senior year of college. I wasn't even aware that they fley f-18's until I talked to a recruiter. Now that I ve gotten a little taste of the business world, I'm even more set on persuing my childhood dream of flight.

kmc9280

Reaper, you do know that you can get PRK before you go and apply SNA right? I had PRK last year, received the waivere and now applying SNA OCC 184.

Kevin

reapergm

KMC9280 - Really? You have to let me know how that goes for you. I asked my OSO if I could get it done before hand... He strongly advised me not to. He said that it wasnt worth the risk of going for a waiver, it might disqualify me. He said Id have a better chance of getting the PRK once I got in and it would be free. That with Marine/Naval docs Id have a better chance of getting NA transfer. But then I see from alot of people here that they got the surgery before and got waivers, so now Im kinda pissed. Its too late now, my package is in. Besides, I have no insurance now. (Im a bartender). I guess Ill just have to see what happens if I get in. -reaper

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
Your recruiter might have just been getting you to apply for an MOS that wasn't easily filled. From what I understand, a lateral transfer is next to impossible, even though it is done. They spend a lot of money training you to be a NFO so I don't think they'll simply transfer you over to SNA. But there are other guys on the board that can fill you in better than I can.

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

kmc9280

It is expensive but they have payment plans. It really isn't a risky surgury, I mean I've never heard one complaint about PRK. The flight surgeon I went to see for my physical in Yuma took care of the application for the waiver. It took a few months but I got it. According to my OSO as long as you meet the guidlines before the surgury and have the required eyesight after you should get the waiver, unless you're seeing halos and crap. My vision was 20/200 before and is now 20/15 in each and and 20/10 -1 using both. Not bad.

Kevin

reapergm

WOW! what would happen if I got it now? You think theres anyway to get a waiver before OCS? Damn, im so pissed I didnt get it

Praying to get in 184

andrew

Also, insurance 99.9% of the time will not cover the PRK surgery. Get the surgery and go fly the damn jets!!!!!!

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
My background- I loved planes as a kid, but I come from a pretty liberal family so joining the military didn't really enter my mind for a while. I thought I was going to be a doctor until my junior year (last year) in college, took bio and chem classes, worked in various labs, took the MCAT's and everything. Then I talked to a friend of a friend who was on liberty from TBS, and realized shortly afterward that there are a hell of a lot fewer people who can say they led Marines than can say they were doctors.

reapergm

esday- Thats is it man. I remember going to the MEPS physical, meeting other Marine recruits for enlistment. We got started on the mentality of someone wanting the Marines over other branches. We kind of agreed you have to be alittle crazy to want to be a Marine. Then after talking about why each of us wanted to join, I mentioned how I decided to join after I graduated, wanting to be an officer. This one kid responded.. "Damn, you have a college degree???... and you want to be a MARINE!?!?!? you ARE crazy!!! I should be training to be a psychiatrist, but theres no other place Id rather be than Marines!

Praying to get in 184

kmc9280

There is no way you could get a PRK waiver for 184 if you haven't had the surgury. You have 1 eye done, have to wait a month and have the other one done. You then have to wait at least 3 months after both eyes have been done to get checked out + whatever time it takes to apply for the waiver. I had my first eye done last Feb. and got the waiver last Novemberish.

Kevin

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
There was a Lt in my TBS Plt that had PRK done while at TBS, by Navy docs, and they picked up the tab, of course. Only catch is, you'll have to go to TBS as a ground contract and I highly doubt anyone of you wants to do that. But just for future reference, if things don't work out, then you can have the military fix your eyes then you can apply for an SNA spot once you're in your ground MOS.

Beetle

Status
Not open for further replies.