• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You might be a redneck if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Hypocrisy.

PropStop said:
HAHAHA! That's damn funny.

I think that people frequently view the rebel flag as just that - rebels, NOT ON THE SAME TEAM! Also, when you've got skin heads and racists of all sorts using that flag as a symbol for their agenda, whatever legitimate use that symbol has is completely overshadowed.

In terms of the Civil War, i can see, and somewhat agree with the viewpoint of the South, but they did weaken the whole of the USA by their actions. It also seems very hypocritical (to me) to plaster the banner of the rebellious states on your car, next to your stars and stripes, and call that patriotic. How can you support the troops of the UNITED States of America and at the same time wave the rebel flag around? The rebel flag does not represent any for of patriotism in my book.

Did I just get completely off topic and ramble a lot?

….i like cake…

You're absolutely right, as long as it's ice cream cake.

No, but for real. I love the south. Been down there, love Texas and Virginia, Maryland is great too, not reall south though. But for real, the Confederates lost the war. No one seems to realize that the U.S. was at some point a Confederacy , for the first few years of our existence (Articles of Confederation ) That system failed and now we have had the Constitution for the remaining 200+ years. Southerners (northerners too, I hate seeing people from New York displaying the Rebel Flag, I mean, hello?) can be proud of their history but should not display a flag that took the most American lives than any other war. The Civil War was a necessary war in many ways and has made America stronger, in my opinion, because since then, we've realized that Congressional compromise is necessary and no one state or group of states has more power than the union which compromise those states. This still does not justify the displaying of the Confederate Flag, especially on State Capitals (I know there was a big debate a few years back, anyone remember or care to comment?) because the Rebel Flag is just that, a flag of rebellion, not patriotism, and should not be displayed as such.

At the same time, I feel that free speech is important, therefore, if one prefers to display the flag, then by all means go for it, as long as they follow proper flag code in accodance to the Union Flag. However, if one is to display this flag, one should not call him/herself a "patriot." It is a hypocrisy to say that you oppose the Union (by displaying the Rebel flag) and calling oneself a "patriot," because a patriot by defintion is "One who loves, supports, and defends one's country." The Confederacy was not a country, it was a failed attempt to destroy a nation and build a new one, and if you were born or naturalized here, your country is/should be the United State of America. Therefore, a person is a hypocrite to display the rebel flag and call himself a patriot, because a patriot would be one who, given the above definition feels in that sense for the United State of America.

Sorry for the rambling.
I like ice cream cake.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
PropStop said:
Lennin liked ice cream cake too...YOU COMMUNIST!

Damn, you got me beat. I couldn't find any "famous capitalists who like ice cream cake" on google. :D

shortncurly

esday1 said:
Yankees - on the right side of history since 1861.

AWESOME!

The Rebel Flag doesn't offend me (although I'll admit I didn't see the hypocrisy issue until reading the above comments), but what DOES get my goat is seeing bumper stickers that say things like "Yankees go home," "I didn't surrender," and "Yankee Hunting License." I mean, come on people! Why can't we all play nice?

'Course, as a native New Yorker (born in Queens), my next thought would be, "F&$K 'EM!"

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
shortncurly said:
AWESOME!

The Rebel Flag doesn't offend me (although I'll admit I didn't see the hypocrisy issue until reading the above comments), but what DOES get my goat is seeing bumper stickers that say things like "Yankees go home," "I didn't surrender," and "Yankee Hunting License." I mean, come on people! Why can't we all play nice?

'Course, as a native New Yorker (born in Queens), my next thought would be, "F&$K 'EM!"

Great post! Hahah. But yeah, I hope people read my hypocrisy argument there. It was my soapbox for the week, I suppose. :icon_tong

KBayDog

shortncurly said:
AWESOME!

My bumper sticker in Hawaii was a rebel flag crossed out that said, "You Lost - Get Over It."

bennett4362

deployment sucks
during the discussion portion of a presentation i did on cracker culture a girl who had been educated in georgia public schools said that her history/social studies teacher in elementary school would not talk about who won the civil war. this girl said she had to go home and get the story from her parents.

incidentally, this teacher is a former superintendent of georgia public schools.

KBayDog

That's because the War of Northern Aggression, or the War for States' Rights, or the War for Southern Indepenence (or whatever cute nickname they have for the fact that they attempted secession and got beat) is not over. It is just halftime. They're reloading. The south will rise again. Etc, etc, etc.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd appreciate it if you would stop implying that Texans refer to themselves as "Southerners," as few rarely do. We prefer not to be associated with those NASCAR-watching, watermelon-eating, cousin-kissing hicks. And we're all aware Texas was part of the confederacy... it's just that the vast majority of us got over that fact 140 years ago.

logo.jpg

KBayDog

We get to see the best Texas has to offer each week on "Cheaters."

Anyway, any state that John Wayne died defending is good-to-go in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.