• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You might be a redneck if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyOCS

We have enjoyed the redneck jokes for years. It's time to take a reflective look at the core beliefs of a culture that values home, family, country and God. If I had to stand before a dozen terrorists who threaten my life, I'd choose a half dozen or so rednecks to back me up. Tire irons, squirrel guns and grit -- that's what rednecks are made of. I hope I am one of those.

Ya'll know who ya' are...

You might be a Redneck if:

1. It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, "One nation, under God."

2. You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places.

3. You still say "Christmas" instead of "Winter Festival."

4. You remove your hat and bow your head when anyone prays.

5. You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play our National Anthem.

6. You treat Viet Nam vets with great respect, and always have.

7. You've never burned an American flag, but would kick someone's A_ _ that did.

8. You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening.

9. You respect your elders and expect your kids to do the same.

10. You'd give your last dollar to a friend.

God Bless the USA!

KBayDog

Nice, but as a displaced Yankee for the past few years (Charleston SC, and now Milton FL), I must wonder: If rednecks are so patriotic, why all the rebel flags?

How about, "If you have ever made Ned Beatty squeal like a pig, you might be a redneck?"

And if I had to stand before a dozen terrorists, I'd much rather have a simple fireteam of fire-pissing Marines with me than anyone else.

I'd say the traits you described are the hallmarks of a good American, not a redneck.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Redneck Special Forces
Redneck Palm Pilot
Redneck Jacuzzi
Redneck Horseshoes

Attachments

• redneckspecialforces.jpg
    redneckspecialforces.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 157
  • RedneckPalmPilot.jpg
    RedneckPalmPilot.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 106
  • redneck-jacuzzi.jpg
    redneck-jacuzzi.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 128
  • redneckhorseshoes.jpg
    redneckhorseshoes.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 145

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Nice, but as a displaced Yankee for the past few years (Charleston SC, and now Milton FL), I must wonder: If rednecks are so patriotic, why all the rebel flags?

I'd say the traits you described are the hallmarks of a good American, not a redneck.

I completely agree. I think meet all the "redneck" criteria, and I'm from New York. Those are traits of a good American.

And AirReg, great post! That's hilarious!

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
KizerSosay said:
You might be a Redneck if:

4. You remove your hat and bow your head when anyone prays.

Really? Anyone? Including Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists? I'd love to see a redneck remove his John Deer hat when a Muslim breaks out his prayer rug and faces Mecca. I'm Catholic and I was appalled at many of the comments I overheard in Pensacola during the Pope's illness/death.

I agree with KBaydog and say that these traits describe considerate and patriotic Americans, not rednecks.

jdnew

Why all the rebel flags? Hummm? Good question. I would like to hear some people's views on this question. I grew up down here and saw them on a regular basis. Never thought to give them any special attention. I guess that would be hard to explain. Some people see the flag as a symbol of hate. Some people see the flag as symbol of someone who is surely a uneducated, nasty, countryfied, hick. And there are the people like myself that see it as a symbol of heritage. Turth is, all are true. This is a very touchy subject and it would be cool if people handled it in a manner of respect for both sides of argument, for I am sure that both sides feel very strongly. I personally don't wear or display the flag because of the ignorance of people that both support it and shun it. But, if you are asking why you see it all the time, I guess that it is a form of identity. Lets face it, everyone wants to belong to something. You've got the feminist people, all the various ethnic groups, all of these are usually proud of there heritage. They have something they can look back at and say "Look! Thats my people." And the people that live in the southern United States are no different. We have a distinct culture, heck, even a different accent (as weird as it may be.) The flag, as some of us see it, is a symbol of where we come from. Not hate. And not everyone that displays it is a John Deere hat wearing hick. (Even though I have a John Deere hat :) ) Lumping everyone in that catagory of ignorant country bumpkins that don't have any tolerance for any other culture is about a fair as lumping everyone in the military with the people that took those pictures of the Iragis in interrogation. Well, you know what I'm talking about. Heck, where I come from, it didn't even have to be your heritage. People from all cultures wore rebel flags. White, Black, Asian, it didn't really matter. I remember we had a foriegn exchange student from china. His quote in the yearbook was "Chinese by birth, Southern by the grace of God." Just my humble opinion. Anyone else have one?

KBayDog

jdnewso1 said:
The flag, as some of us see it, is a symbol of where we come from.

And the Stars and Stripes isn't?

Unless you were born between 1861-65, you didn't come from the CSA. You came from the USA.

jdnew

I'm not that old.... :) I think you know what I mean. But, you are right I am an American and Old Glory will hold a place in my heart that can not be replaced by any other flag. I didn't mean to come across as one of those people that flys a confederate battle flag instead of the Stars and Stripes. Did kinda sound that way. Interesting tid bit, I was talking to my Grandfather and he said that he can remember when they still played Dixie before football games. Weird huh?

KBayDog

jdnewso1 said:
I was talking to my Grandfather and he said that he can remember when they still played Dixie before football games. Weird huh?

It was only a few years ago that The Citadel's band was banned (*rim shot*) from playing Dixie. Of course, all the old alumni blast it from their cars anyway, so it's a moot point.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
JD, you must be confused. I'd be shocked if a black guy was flying the rebel flag as the south was fighting for their right to keep bo jangles locked up in the fields. Last I checked, black people as a whole were generally against slavery. Bottom line, you fly a rebel flag and you're marking yourself as a boor in society; prepare for requisite humiliation.
Also, bringing Church and State together is actually the mark of a horrible American and one who should be sent to the re-education camps. Read up on your old documents, that's a big no-no and one of the reasons why the Republican party is under heat (I know, let's hold a political rally in...A CHURCH!). In fact, just to play Devil's advocate here, one of the biggest problems in rebuilding the middle east is that their system is a very traditional theocracy while ours is an ever changing democracy. So really, some of those points which would make one a redneck actually make a person a better citizen in a Muslim state...just something to think about.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
And if you think that nobody living within 100 miles of the Pacific seaboard or the atlantic coast north of Norfolk does any of those things, then you probably are a redneck.

Yankees- on the right side of history since 1861.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
I can say that as a southerner (Virginia born, living in Georgia), I've never worn/carried nor felt the desire to wear/carry a rebel flag. I'm certainly not ashamed of the south; I like it down here, and I'm starting to get kind of ticked off at the people who characterize us all as NASCAR-watching, watermelon-eating, cousin-kissing hicks (Katie Couric, you know who I'm talking about). But when it comes to taking pride in m heritage, there are many other ways to do it that don't involve a symbol that refers to a time in history when a whole lot of people were abused and oppressed for the color of their skin. When Georgia was debating removing the St. Andrew's cross from our state flag, I was all for a new flag - because it wasn't our heritage, it was added in 1956 for the express purpose of ticking people off.

Of course everyone has a right to take pride in whatever makes them proud, and you don't have to be considerate of others when you do that. But I choose to be, and so I'm a proud southerner without that particular symbol. Besides, the wide X makes my hips look big.

jdnew

All good points. Although I disagree with that whole boor to society thing. I won't go into all the history behind the civil war. I'm sure the people that are interested are capable enough of doing there own research. And besides, it dosen't seem like anyone else shares my opinion on the matter, and I would really preferr NOTto be remembered on airwarriors by this subject matter. Didn't mean to come across as some advid advocate for the confederate battle flag. Like I said, I don't fly it or wear it.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Cate said:
the wide X makes my hips look big.

HAHAHA! That's damn funny.

I think that people frequently view the rebel flag as just that - rebels, NOT ON THE SAME TEAM! Also, when you've got skin heads and racists of all sorts using that flag as a symbol for their agenda, whatever legitimate use that symbol has is completely overshadowed.

In terms of the Civil War, i can see, and somewhat agree with the viewpoint of the South, but they did weaken the whole of the USA by their actions. It also seems very hypocritical (to me) to plaster the banner of the rebellious states on your car, next to your stars and stripes, and call that patriotic. How can you support the troops of the UNITED States of America and at the same time wave the rebel flag around? The rebel flag does not represent any for of patriotism in my book.

Did I just get completely off topic and ramble a lot?

….i like cake…

Status
Not open for further replies.