• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You have got to be kidding me.

Are they serious? :eek:

By Sam Enriquez
Times Staff Writer

May 3, 2006

MEXICO CITY — Mexican President Vicente Fox will sign a bill that would legalize the use of nearly every drug and narcotic sold by the same Mexican cartels he's vowed to fight during his five years in office, a spokesman said Tuesday.

The list of illegal drugs approved for personal consumption by Mexico's Congress last week is enough to make one dizzy — or worse.

Cocaine. Heroin. LSD. Marijuana. PCP. Opium. Synthetic opiates. Mescaline. Peyote. Psilocybin mushrooms. Amphetamines. Methamphetamines.

And the per-person amounts approved for possession by anyone 18 or older could easily turn any college party into an all-nighter: half a gram of coke, a couple of Ecstasy pills, several doses of LSD, a few marijuana joints, a spoonful of heroin, 5 grams of opium and more than 2 pounds of peyote, the hallucinogenic cactus.

The law would be among the most permissive in the world, putting Mexico in the company of the Netherlands. Critics, including U.S. drug policy officials, already are worrying that it will spur a domestic addiction problem and make Mexico a narco-tourism destination.

Even the Netherlands, famous for coffeehouses that sell small quantities of potent marijuana and hashish, forbids the possession and sale of narcotics. Colombia allows personal use of marijuana, cocaine and heroin, but not LSD or PCP.

Selling drugs or using them in public still would be a crime in Mexico. Anyone possessing drugs still could be held for questioning by police, and each state could impose fines even on the permitted quantities, the bill stipulates. But it includes no imprisonment penalties.

Lawmakers who voted for decriminalization, some of whom have expressed surprise over the details of the bill, said it would for the first time empower local police to make drug arrests and allow law enforcement in general to focus on intercepting large drug shipments and major traffickers. The bill also would stiffen penalties for selling drugs near schools and authorize state and local police to detain users to check whether amounts were over the legal limit.

"The law constitutes an important step forward by the Mexican state in its battle against drug dealing," said Eduardo Medina Mora, secretary of public security and Mexico's top law enforcement officer.

Presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said Tuesday that Fox would sign the measure, calling it an important tool in the fight against drug trafficking. Fox has avoided public comments on the bill and did not attend a news conference about it Tuesday.

Since the vote by Congress last week, lawmakers have said they are unsure who amended the bill, originally aimed at legalizing possession of small quantities of drugs among addicts, to make it apply to all "consumers."

The Bush administration is refraining from public criticism of Mexico. But in private meetings Monday with Mexican officials in Washington, U.S. officials tried to discourage passage of the law, U.S. Embassy officials here said.

"Any country that embarks on policies that encourage drug use will get more drug use and more drug addiction," said Tom Riley, a spokesman for the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy.

"Many countries, including the U.S. and Mexico, see the drug problem as a trafficking problem," he said. "But the real problem isn't trafficking, it's drug use. The costs of drug addiction are staggering."

Mexico has for years blamed Americans for fueling the multibillion-dollar illegal drug trade with their $10, $50 and $100 drug purchases. One cartoon here showed Uncle Sam kneeling over a map of the United States and Mexico, snorting a giant line of cocaine piled along the border.

News of the pending Mexican law spread quickly over the Internet, reaching the website of High Times, a glossy monthly magazine that features photo spreads of marijuana from around the world.

"I know I'll be booking my trip as soon as I hear the OK!" wrote "Beefy" to general agreement among his cyber peers.

Drug use by Mexicans grew as smugglers began receiving payments in drugs rather than cash from Colombian suppliers, experts say. The drug surplus triggered more local sales and use.

"There's been a big increase in addiction in recent years," said Mago Marchina of Clinica Nuevo Ser, a Tijuana drug treatment center.

Reliable figures on how many Mexicans are addicted to drugs are hard to come by, but Mexico's National Council Against Addictions has said that more than half of addicts use cocaine, and a third report hard-core marijuana use.

A growing war among rival drug gangs in Mexico — primarily the so-called Gulf and Sinaloa cartels — has ushered in a new era of brutality, with torture routine and bodies burned and dismembered.

More than 1,000 people have been killed in the last 18 months in fighting over smuggling routes to the United States, mostly in border cities, Acapulco and the capital. Automatic weapons and explosives are common tools; police and journalists are increasingly frequent targets.

Fox, whose term ends in December and who is barred by law from seeking reelection, has been considered a strong ally of the U.S. anti-drug effort. He has said the current drug war was triggered when he began arresting top leaders, including Osiel Cardenas, who allegedly runs the Gulf cartel from prison.

In the last year, Fox has called in the army to patrol the border city of Nuevo Laredo when it became clear that local police were in league with traffickers. And he has promised to extradite drug smugglers facing trial in the U.S.

Consequently, many U.S. officials, and Mexicans, are scratching their heads over the new law.

Mexican Sen. Jorge Zermeno, a member of Fox's National Action Party, spoke twice in support of decriminalization before the Senate's 53-26 vote Friday shortly after midnight.

He said the legislation, which Fox first proposed in 2004, was intended to allow drug possession for bona fide addicts, who would be sent to drug treatment instead of jail. But the word "consumer" was attached to the bill and won approval, broadening it to include all adults, he said.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
he might be trying to break up the cartels by decreasing their importance through making the drugs easier to get. I doubt it will work but its not like he has a lot going for him right now; his economy is in the crapper and has lost control of the country to drug cartels.

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
I heard it was to increase tourism. Sorry I don't have time to read the whole article. I already heard this news yesterday.

Lawman

None
Lovebug201 said:
Sounds like a fair trade to me

I have a shirt I bought today for the May 4th celebration here at Kent State that says "Hippy go home"

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Kycntryboy said:
Just trying to equalize illegal immigration ... we get their workers ... they get our hippies...

It wouldn't work. Mexico has no problem imprisoning, fining, and deporting Americans.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When doing drug ops, Mexico was always the worst country to work with. They never let us board their flagged vessels. And if by the off chance you did get aboard (happened once for us) and find contraband, they won't let you remove it. They want to take control of it and move it themselves, presumably to go some place else we aren't and take their cut. It was always frustrating as hell dealing w/ them.

HOORAH

Lawman said:
I have a shirt I bought today for the May 4th celebration here at Kent State that says "Hippy go home"
Ahh it's that time a year again, huh? How is the day going so far?

Funny I haven't heard that liberal family from Fox Chapel who's stupid liberal daughter was killed blabbing this year. They always seem to get news time around here. Wah, wah. Another liberal killed. Too bad. And people say the news isn't left leaning. I never hear the National Guard's families on the news. :confused: At least they were just doing their job.

Lawman

None
HOORAH said:
Ahh it's that time a year again, huh? How is the day going so far?

Funny I haven't heard that liberal family from Fox Chapel who's stupid liberal daughter was killed blabbing this year. They always seem to get news time around here. Wah, wah. Another liberal killed. Too bad. And people say the news isn't left leaning. I never hear the National Guard's families on the news. :confused: At least they were just doing their job.

Theres a Support our troops/we love America BBQ going on in about 30 minutes right across from a gathering of dirty hippies. One guy in the KSU Anti-Hippy coalition is actually bringing "Free Soap for Hippies" in an attemt to clean up Kent State by cleaning up the hippies. They started showing up last night. I ran into a whole flock of them while I was on my run but the Eagle Globe and Anchor on the shirt kept them at bay. Im half tempted to go pass out PLC fliers.

HOORAH

Lawman said:
Theres a Support our troops/we love America BBQ going on in about 30 minutes right across from a gathering of dirty hippies. One guy in the KSU Anti-Hippy coalition is actually bringing "Free Soap for Hippies" in an attemt to clean up Kent State by cleaning up the hippies. They started showing up last night. I ran into a whole flock of them while I was on my run but the Eagle Globe and Anchor on the shirt kept them at bay. Im half tempted to go pass out PLC fliers.
HAHAHAHAHAHA :D

I'm amazed the Eagle Globe and Anchor shirt didn't make them throw rocks at you. You know, they aren't really breaking the law by hurting you if your view is different from their's. Old Hippy logic at work. ;)

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
They aint all crazy...

Mexico President Refuses to Sign Drug Bill
By MARK STEVENSON
MEXICO CITY May 3, 2006 (AP)— Mexican President Vicente Fox refused to sign a drug decriminalization bill Wednesday, hours after U.S. officials warned the plan could encourage "drug tourism."

Fox sent the measure back to Congress for changes, but his office did not mention the U.S. criticism.

Fox will ask "Congress to make the needed corrections to make it absolutely clear in our country, the possession of drugs and their consumption are, and will continue to be, a criminal offense," according to a statement from the president's office.