• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You have got to be $%^&ing me...

thull

Inverted...no. There are unlawful orders which we are obligated, especially as comissioned officers, to question.

So isn't that what this dude is doing? He believes the war was illegal, and is questioning his orders. Do you think this guy is justified or not? (just stirring the pot...I personally think regardless of the truth of the reasons for going to war, as a needed member of the military here and now, you go where you're called, whether you like it or not..)

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
To emphasize what Mafesto said... theres absolutely unlawful orders (ie engage noncombatants like his wife etc.)... yes scoobs I did take the law of war class. Point being, this was far from an unlawful order... and hes obligated to follow it. If its obviously unlawful, you are obliged to disobey. But, if you merely disagree with it, and may "take issue", and the order is still lawful... you still need to have the right mindset. The military isn't a democracy.

I thought it was interesting when he tried to claim that we hadn't found any weapons of mass destruction post-1991. Is he kidding? The UN uncovered and contained tons of the stuff.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Inverted think your missing thull's point here. As an officer you are expected not to be some mindless unthinking drone. You are expected to use your head and your best judgement, and wiegh all factors before making any decision. Its just like in NATOPS, its a recommended course of action but is not a replacement for sound judgement. Now do I personally think this guy is correct in saying this war is illegal...no. But HE BELIEVES it is. And as an officer he is obligated to question it because he belives it is illegal.

invertedflyer

I undertand that hes thinking for himself, every officer should, I just purely disagree with him. To say that you disagree with an order is one thing, but that doesn't warrant disobeying a lawful order in my mind.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Quit fiddle-f^&*ing this. Its really quite simple and Mefesto pretty much said it. The bottom line is, agree with the war or not, his order to go to Iraq is a lawful order and he is obliged to follow it. Period. End. Finito.

This guy has labeled himself a scumbag and as phrog pointed out...I hope he enjoys his fabulous all-expense paid trip to exotic Fort Leavenworth, where he will make big rocks into small ones for the better years of his wasted life.

Edit...
No offense meant there inverted but your previous comment got me wondering...

snake020

Contributor
...I hope he enjoys his fabulous all-expense paid trip to exotic Fort Leavenworth, where he will make big rocks into small ones for the better years of his wasted life.

not to mention making a 300 pound ex-Marine named "Bubba" very satisfied.

invertedflyer

Cool as a jewel scoobs, you pretty much said it with your last post... can't be any more obvious than it already is.

squirt

While I wouldnt go as far as this guy did...The citizens of the US have been lied to regarding the reasons for going to war. I agree with him on that.

The first line of the oath also mentions supporting and defending the constitution of the United States...the constitution has been and still is being trampled on to this day. So in his mind does his allegiance fall with the constitution which is being trampled on, or the President and the current administration who is doing the trampling? Not trying to put words in the guy's mouth, but I can see his point. In any case, he stands up for what he believes.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bottom line is the President is the boss of the armed services.

An officer, through the chain of command, when given a lawful order (which a deployment is) is expected to obey and execute his/her duties. The last part of the oath for an Army officer is:

"I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter"

So without giving into political discussions about the trampling of the constitution, the law has spoken. He's been found in violation of the UCMJ and he's going to pay a price for it.

I don't want to serve in the military with other Officers who decide they aren't going to do what's lawfully required of them because of their personal beliefs. If it was acceptable if all military officers did what Watada did, and then the whole military chain of command would fall apart. He's fired....and for good reason.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The guys an assclown but as long as he's willing to accept the consequences, so be it. If prison or jail time is worth his convictions, good on him......or bad on him.

While I wouldnt go as far as this guy did...The citizens of the US have been lied to regarding the reasons for going to war. I agree with him on that. .

Cry me a river, no one's been lied to. Unless of course you have specific proof of this intended deception. Afterall, that's what a lie is.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Squirt throws out some accusations that a commisioned officer should not espouse in a public forum.

Regardless of whatever political opinion one might subscribe to this young O-2 (he really doesnt deserve to be described as a Lieutenant) is simply masking his cowardice in a cloak of false idealism, he will send others to face danger in his stead. I suppose the only way he will console his conscience in the years to come will be with his suposed idealism but this will fade and he will probably live a lonely miserable life yearning for the comraderie that he has turned his back on.

I am unfortunately pessimistic about the impending punishments this O-2 will face, I worry that the right thing (a severe punishment) will be sacrificed for political expediency.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So isn't that what this dude is doing? He believes the war was illegal, and is questioning his orders. Do you think this guy is justified or not? (just stirring the pot...I personally think regardless of the truth of the reasons for going to war, as a needed member of the military here and now, you go where you're called, whether you like it or not..)

Sounds legal enough to me......

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/10/11/iraq.us/