• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You Didn't See Me

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Agreed with those before: If you have a close call every other day you're definitely riding the wrong way! I ride a CBR600RR and the only close calls I have are folks swerving from the middle lane to get the next freeway exit without actually looking and those who move toward the middle when they see me lane-splitting in rush hour traffic. The only time I lane-split at speed is when the driver obviously goes to one side of the lane for me (usually the fast lane) and stays there. That's my green light to pass between. Smart? Not the brightest of ideas. Stupid? No.

For those whining about the mean, mean LA freeways, try riding up here at Lake Berryessa, terrible roads, hairpins, gravel on alot of the hairpins, and boaters who don't like using the turn-offs. Go longer than 6 months riding that every other day without laying your bike down or becoming a 200 pound hood ornament and you're a better rider for it. So far, I've got about 10 months there since the last time I laid it down (40 MPH, lowside in a hairpin w/mud/gravel)

Call me over-cautious, but if there were hairpin turns with gravel on the turns....I just wouldn't ride there, or at least I wouldn't be doing 40MPH over the turns. Call me an amateur or whatever, but the only time I've ever low-sided was on gravel attempting to pull off the road, and it sucked. It was only about 20mph when I hit the ground but I'd rather not try it at 40.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
This is kind of an aside, but California is mad f'd up. I was visiting my bro out there a couple months ago, and about shat my pants when I saw guys splitting lanes. Apparently it's legal there. I was amazed at this, what with all the pointless BS laws Cali has rammed down the legisation chute.

I'll go back to my dank corner of Florida now, where lane splitting is illegal but it is still practical to own a firearm. Hells, yes! ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is kind of an aside, but California is mad f'd up. I was visiting my bro out there a couple months ago, and about shat my pants when I saw guys splitting lanes. Apparently it's legal there. I was amazed at this, what with all the pointless BS laws Cali has rammed down the legisation chute.

I'll go back to my dank corner of Florida now, where lane splitting is illegal but it is still practical to own a firearm. Hells, yes! ;)

It's actually really advantageous when used appropriately. I'll miss it when I'm gone.

Brett

snake020

Contributor
When I was riding back home in CA I would lane split riding in the city stop lights as Brett says. Kinda cool getting to move all the way to the front and I'm sure a few people got pissed about that but it is legal. The only time it would make sense on the freeway is if there is total gridlock traffic and I needed to move the bike to get some airflow and lower the engine temperature.

Anyone who does it at 65+ on the freeway is a jackass and deserves whatever they get.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
When I was riding back home in CA I would lane split riding in the city stop lights as Brett says. Kinda cool getting to move all the way to the front and I'm sure a few people got pissed about that but it is legal. The only time it would make sense on the freeway is if there is total gridlock traffic and I needed to move the bike to get some airflow and lower the engine temperature.

Anyone who does it at 65+ on the freeway is a jackass and deserves whatever they get.

The only time I did it was to get through traffic to keep from overheating. My 2000 VN750 is aircooled and tends to overheat if idling for more than 5 or so minutes straight. Still scared the hell out of me. Especially on a cruiser.

snake020

Contributor
The only time I did it was to get through traffic to keep from overheating. My 2000 VN750 is aircooled and tends to overheat if idling for more than 5 or so minutes straight. Still scared the hell out of me. Especially on a cruiser.

Yup, my SV650S is the same way. Shutting it off doesn't help either as it's a fuel injected engine.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Yup, my SV650S is the same way. Shutting it off doesn't help either as it's a fuel injected engine.

Mine is carbureted and when I drove it from Embry-Riddle (1 mile high) home (1k feet MSL) it was a pain in the ass to adjust the idle throttle while in stop and go traffic...rrg. God bless fuel injection.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
It totally freaked me out, I'd never seen anyone split lanes. I was like, "Crap, that guy's crazy!"

dhchun

joboy & silversnake. You guys in or coming to Pensacola soon? Got my SV here with me. Definitely, one of the coolest rides around.
Personally, with the way people drive around here, I'd rather be on my bike than in a car. Better acceleration, better turning, & better stopping power.
Situation awareness beats the safety a metal box with wheels can provide.

SV's rule!!!!

joboy_2.0

Contributor
joboy & silversnake. You guys in or coming to Pensacola soon? Got my SV here with me. Definitely, one of the coolest rides around.
Personally, with the way people drive around here, I'd rather be on my bike than in a car. Better acceleration, better turning, & better stopping power.
Situation awareness beats the safety a metal box with wheels can provide.

SV's rule!!!!

I always wanted to ride an SV. I'll be in pensacola (I hope) in june. As for stopping power, bikes stop in MORE distance than cars, on average.

dhchun

I must not be stopping in cars right. Never seemed that way to me in situations where stopping mattered (no room to swerve or weave).
:eek:
I'm sure some sports cars have great breaking. But I trust my bike way more than my car (wife's car).
I'll probably still be here in next summer (SNFO).
We need to form a A-pool riding club around here.
Unless there's one already out here that I don't know of.