• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yet Another New Member

JMartel

Hello everyone,

I figured I would go ahead and introduce myself since I have recently began to lurk around the forums. Basically, my story is that I am currently a MIDN 1/C studying in Ocean Engineering at Virginia Tech. However, I'm planning on graduating in December of 2010, so I have an extra semester to do before commissioning.

I recently got back from my 1/C summer cruise with VRC-30 for a month and it was awesome. I got a ton of flight time and couldn't have asked for anything better.

I'm not even going to bother asking about what my chances are for getting accepted to flight school, or what percentage get jets, or any other nonsense like that. I figure I have a decent shot at getting a slot, with an 8/7/7 (can't remember OAR, 61 maybe?) and a 3.05 GPA, but it is all dependent on how many the Navy decides to take and what my competition is. If I get in, I think I will be happy with any carrier based plane/helo. No offense to the P-3 guys, but when I think of naval aviation, my first thought goes to carriers. That being said, whatever I get is what I get and I will make the most of it.

Edited to remove a stupid comment made.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Those are good ASTB scores, you shouldn't have any trouble getting the slot as long as all the physicals and whatnot go well. Good luck and welcome to AW.

JMartel

Those are good ASTB scores, you shouldn't have any trouble getting the slot as long as all the physicals and whatnot go well. Good luck and welcome to AW.

So far I got nothing wrong as far as physicals. DODMERB and the MIDN Aviation Physicals were perfect. But I understand the full physical is much more thorough.

JMartel

Welcome aboard. And F you, for the P-3 comment. Go Hokies.

F-07

Hah, sorry, but I gotta say it. I'm not knocking on anyone's airframe, I would just be happier landing on a boat. It's what I signed up for. Course, if I do get P-3's or a VR squadron, I will eat my words and make the best of it. Plus, per diem isn't gonna be too bad.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Hah, sorry, but I gotta say it. I'm not knocking on anyone's airframe, I would just be happier landing on a boat. It's what I signed up for. Course, if I do get P-3's or a VR squadron, I will eat my words and make the best of it. Plus, per diem isn't gonna be too bad.

Welcome to Airwarriors. I know you aren't looking for percentages, but I can give you one percentage with certainty. You have a 0% chance of selecting VR out of primary (not an option). Tailhook, Helo, P-3, E-6 only.

JMartel

Welcome to Airwarriors. I know you aren't looking for percentages, but I can give you one percentage with certainty. You have a 0% chance of selecting VR out of primary (not an option). Tailhook, Helo, P-3, E-6 only.

I was never really clear on who got VR. Hell, I never really noticed that the navy had VR until cruise this summer.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
Sounds like a sweet cruise. I'm jealous because I never went on an Aviation cruise my 1/c summer (I went on a Norfolk to Norfolk cruise on a Destroyer... blah). Welcome and good luck with selection!

~Red

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator

Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
You have a 0% chance of selecting VR out of primary

Seems to me it was not so long ago (maybe 10 years) when they drafted a bunch of SNA's right out of primary to go fly C-9's as a sort of "let's see how this idea goes."

Point is: it's happened before.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
More like 4 or so yrs ago. And it was a stop-gap to alleviate a severely backed-up VP-30. Not some kind of "experiment."

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Huh?

Yeah, I'm sure it'll get old real fast and I'll hate being on the boat. But for now, let me have my happy thoughts. Don't try to kill them off just yet.

If you feel "it'll get old real fast" and "I'll hate being on the boat", why would you even consider the NAVY?
I spent 20+ years (on & off) the boat, it NEVER got old and I NEVER hated it. Got hairy a few times:eek:, but never boring!
Think about it!
BzB

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you feel "it'll get old real fast" and "I'll hate being on the boat", why would you even consider the NAVY?
I spent 20+ years (on & off) the boat, it NEVER got old and I NEVER hated it. Got hairy a few times:eek:, but never boring!
Think about it!
BzB

Flying around the boat is never boring. Being on the boat usually is.

Brett