• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yet another moving question.

Raptor2216

Just so everyone knows, I did a search but I didn't find my answer. I would like to go to quantico via train but my car has to go with me. Being a PLC'er, I am not on active duty and won't be until the 24th on this month, the day that I am supposed to check in.

If I have my car shipped over, will I be reimbursed for the cost of the shipping as well as my train ticket? I know that if I drive, I will get a per diem rate, which works out to be about $1400 for the 3000 miles I have to travel. Can I just claim that I drove and use whatever I get to pay for my expenses? I don't have anything to move so it's really just me and my clothes. What do you guys suggest I do?

bennett4362

deployment sucks
however you travel, you will be reimbursed, ie if you decide to take the train, they'll reimburse you for your train ticket. however, unless you're coming to/from oconus, they won't pay to ship your car.

Crowbar

None
P_ubhi18 said:
Can I just claim that I drove and use whatever I get to pay for my expenses? I don't have anything to move so it's really just me and my clothes. What do you guys suggest I do?

Fraud's always a good way to start off a new career. What happens when your car that you "drove" in is damaged or destroyed during the move?

If it's just you and your clothes then hop in the car and drive. You'll have your car, you won't have to pay for shipping it. I asked about having one shipped a couple years ago and (at the time) if you didn't have doctor's orders not to drive-broken legs or something-you paid out of pocket or drove it yourself.

usmcecho4

pilot
You will get you per diem rate regardless of whether you drive or fly whatever so long as you don't check in early or anything crazy like that. If you want to take the train do it and use your per diem, DLA, or whatever to pay back your ticket. You will not be getting any advanced pay or anything so any initial cost will be out of pocket. A guy in my platoon took an auto train from VA to FL when he went down to flight school and had no problems.

As far as fraud is concerned how many people on this board arrived at their destinations in less time than they were given to travel, stayed with friends/slept in their car, reported on their report date, and collected the full per diem anyway?

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

KBayDog

usmcecho4 said:
As far as fraud is concerned how many people on this board arrived at their destinations in less time than they were given to travel, stayed with friends/slept in their car, reported on their report date, and collected the full per diem anyway?

What's your point? Travel/proceed is an entitlement. That's like saying it's fraud if you don't use every penny of your BAH for housing costs, or all of your BAS to eat.

Now, claiming $500 in non-receipted tolls to drive from Jacksonville to Pensacola might raise a few eyebrows.

Raptor2216

I never said anything about fraud. I simply asked what the is the easiest way to put the paperwork though. Whether I take the train or drive, I am paying either way. Its not like I was going to try and swindle the government into giving me more money than I deserved. I simply wanted to know the easiest way to cut though all the paperwork.

I swear, sometimes you guys just need to relax. I don't know how things are done in the military at this point so please don't claim fraud when its not even close to the truth. If anything, taking the train is going to cost me more than what I will be reimbursed.

Crowbar

None
P_ubhi18 said:
blah blah blah. I swear, sometimes you guys just need to relax. I don't know how things are done in the military at this point so please don't claim fraud when its not even close to the truth. more blah blah blah.

Having that thin skin will cause you more grief than getting caught lying to the government.

Raptor2216

Crowbar said:
Having that thin skin will cause you more grief than getting caught lying to the government.

Thin skin is one thing but putting words in my mouth is another. I have never lied to the government and I don't plan on it either so no need to make such predictions.

usmcecho4

pilot
KBayDog said:
What's your point? Travel/proceed is an entitlement. That's like saying it's fraud if you don't use every penny of your BAH for housing costs, or all of your BAS to eat.

Now, claiming $500 in non-receipted tolls to drive from Jacksonville to Pensacola might raise a few eyebrows.

YOu can also claim up to $120 in costs without reciepts so that's kind of nice as well. I know KBayDog I was just making a point that fraud is not an issue with what he was trying to do. If they're handing otu free money you're an idiot not to get in line. I do wish you could get DLA twice per fiscal year though!

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

usmcecho4

pilot
Crowbar said:

I think you would have to have some spectacular travel scheme worked up to get "caught by the government." He should turn in the reciepts for his car shipping costs. The worst that will happen is they will say no.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Crowbar

None
I admit it. You caught me putting words in your mouth. I never actually heard you say "blah blah blah", that's just what it sounded like.

Thanks for proving my point. Both of you.