• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yes Virginia, Actions DO Have Consequences

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Cut me some slack, Jack!

FIFY :D

11_cutmesomeslackjack.jpg

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
So, you have to be paid to show some attention to detail and take responsibility for wrongfully attributing something to another. That is good to know. Thanks. You seemed to care who wrote it when you thought it was Fox, or you wouldn't have mentioned it.

That says it all. A Fox News banner automatically meant something negative to you. So much so you skipped the byline, something I learned to start with in a high school English class. You have a bias. That is fine. Just make sure you are correct about your facts.
My very first post started with "I am surprised," which indicates that the story was not portrayed the way I would have expected a Fox News to convey it. That is not positive nor negative; it is a simple fact that the conservatives believe in harsher justice. Had I read the byline more closely, I would not have been surprised at the tone of the article, but rather that they chose to post it on their site. And had you read the rest of my post more closely, you would realize that I disagree with the tone of the article, which is more in line with the liberal philosophy that our justice system is unfair and too harsh.

Either way, credible news organizations have some stake in ownership of what goes in their papers or on their websites. If the article was filled with outright false statements rather than just bias, Fox News would be partially responsible for not verifying their information.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
:

. . . and they didn't make a shitty decision: they did something wrong. Let's be clear: not a mistake, not a bad decision, something ethically indefensible.

I agree with what you're saying, but I think you missed my point. A 'mistake' in this case would mean, "Wait, this WASN'T a university-sanctioned riot? We were NOT supposed to tip over cars? Oh shit, my bad."

Young Mr Midshipman Fester fucked up in a big way and got to have a meeting with the 'Dant (this guy named Roughead...I forget what happened to him) in my SDB's. The O-4 staff guy who prepped me for the talking-to told me, "Don't tell him you made a mistake. He really hates that. You knew you were doing something wrong and did it anyway...that's a bad decision, not a mistake. Take responsibility for it."

He was absolutely correct.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do tell......

Eh, it's better shared over beer than over the Interwebs. Suffice it to say, Mr Midshipman Fester learned a Valuable Life Lesson about acting without thinking when embarrassed and pissed off, and was lucky to get kept in school.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Eh, it's better shared over beer than over the Interwebs. Suffice it to say, Mr Midshipman Fester learned a Valuable Life Lesson about acting without thinking when embarrassed and pissed off, and was lucky to get kept in school.

Yeah, I had something similar happen to me at the Citadel though at least then I didn't have to stand tall in front of the Commandant. Embarrassing, stupid and glad I did it in school instead of the 'real' world.

KBayDog

Yeah, I had something similar happen to me at the Citadel though at least then I didn't have to stand tall in front of the Commandant. Embarrassing, stupid and glad I did it in school instead of the 'real' world.

Let me guess: Yours was the last class with a "System," right?

robav8r

None
Contributor
Mr Midshipman Fester learned a Valuable Life Lesson about acting without thinking when embarrassed and pissed off, and was lucky to get kept in school.
And sadly, our society (and military) have become so risk averse that we immediately discard folks who otherwise would become productive & successful members of society and the military . . . . .

croakerfish

pilot
And sadly, our society (and military) have become so risk averse that we immediately discard folks who otherwise would become productive & successful members of society and the military . . . . .

Would you not consider this one of those times?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

So, where do we draw the line as to what is permissible and what is not?
It was only a little riot...
or
No one was killed...
or
I only blew a .08...

Today all the services are forcing folks out who have been pretty good performers; both Officer and Enlisted. If the Army wants to drop this guy for participating in a riot, that's their call.
So, while the military is willing to discard people quickly, I would say our society is not looking to discard folks. We are actually quiet forgiving when folks make mistakes. If you own up to your mistakes, society will generally give you a pass. Look at how the media has treated steriod users who fessed up as compared to those who haven't. Look at Charlie Sheen, he's the poster boy for saying your sorry, getting another chance and screwing it up again.