• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yes Another UT A&M decision

Bevo16

pilot
^^^^^
God Bless Texas.

I had to choose between the USNA and Texas. I had already been enlisted for a couple of years, so I opted to get away from the rigid military environment for a few a while. That, and I wanted to be able to drive my car, date, drink, watch TV, go to a movie if I wanted, cook out, etc, etc, etc...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Corpus loses in this argument, unless it's against kingsville or points south, or the entire state of OK.

BTW, the other location in the argument has no bearing on the outcome, with the exception of the aforementioned clauses.

And screw military school. Go somewhere you don't have to elephant walk and squeeze your nuts for fun.

sanders

A&M is far from a military school. 5% of the student body is in the Corps. You have to live in the Corps dorms, but they are situated on campus so getting away from a "military" environment is a 50 foot walk. When the West Point cadets came down for the A&M WP game, they all said they wished they went to A&M so they could have a life. I'm sure they would have said the same thing about UT, but the point is A&M is far from a military school. No there is no nut squeezing or anything like that. The video is of the freshman from company e-2 who were about to walk Reveille, the mascot off the football field. I believe this was at the Tech game, and Texas tech loves to through crap at her so we make the fish form human shield around her. The upperclassmen decided it would be funny to make the fish do the "old army squeeze" in order to help the Aggies win the game which was about 20 seconds from being over. Yea its pretty freaking stupid but who cares. And "elephant walk" is a tradition in which all the seniors take a final walk around campus together and then walk to a bar for a beer.

My point is... A&M gets a bad rep for the stupid stuff that was done here decades ago. Don't let that sway your decision. I'm not going to lie... I would never retire in College Station. But your not looking for a place to retire, your looking for a place to go to school for 4 years. There is plenty to do in College Station, it is cheaper, a fraction the traffic, and I think the people are friendlier in general. my advice would be to go visit both NROTC units and make your decision then.

Bevo16

pilot
Sanders,

Your entire post is the perfect example of a guy trying to make a case for A&M, and ends up making a case for Texas in the the process. Thank you.

At Texas, if you want to live in the dorm, it's up to you. Pick one. You don't have to walk 50 feet to get away from a stick-up-the-ass upperclassman who is yelling at you. Hell, there are probably 10 co-eds living within 50 feet of your door.

When the best case you can make for your program is "It's not really that bad, and we are not as silly as our reputation, or as stupid as we look on TV" ...well...that tells you something right there.

Besides, you could choose to go to UT this year, and in two years, they could be a losing team. Just a thought.

A funny thought. One that has no historical perspective, pays no attention to the talent in the program, the quality of the coaching staff or the recruiting in the pipeline. It is a thought though. Mike Sherman did have Lake Travis High School's coaching staff come in last week to teach him how to run the spread offense, so maybe aggy has some hope.

Sams

Not sure if the OP is interested in this info, but you can be in NROTC at A&M and not be in the Corps.

I lived in College Station for 2 1/2 years while DH finished his degree through STA-21. I really liked the area! Keep in mind, though, I'm a Republican, married female, late 20's with 2 small children....catch my drift? It just depends on what type of community setting you are looking for.

sanders

Look, if you ask a bunch of Aggies and Longhorns which school is better... all the longhorns are going to say UT and all the Aggies are going to say A&M. I know for a fact that the Corps prepared me very well for OCS, and had I not joined I don't know if I could have made it or if I even would have been motivated enough to go. I guess I just feel like I owe A&M a lot.

Your entire post is the perfect example of a guy trying to make a case for A&M, and ends up making a case for Texas in the the process. Thank you.
WHooaaaaaa no hard feelings, sir. I just wanted to make it clear that A&M is definitely not a military school. Just trying to clear up some confusion.

Bevo16

pilot
WHooaaaaaa no hard feelings, sir. I just wanted to make it clear that A&M is definitely not a military school. Just trying to clear up some confusion.

sanders, trust me, there are no hard feelings on this end. You made my day.

I lived in College Station for 2 1/2 years while DH finished his degree through STA-21. I really liked the area! Keep in mind, though, I'm a Republican, married female, late 20's with 2 small children....catch my drift? It just depends on what type of community setting you are looking for.

Not exactly sure why the way you vote has anything to do with it. I am as conservative as pretty much anyone here, was a poly-sci major at Texas, and manged to get through.

Austin is one of the best cities to raise children in the entire country. Top rate schools all around. The worst school in Austin would be the best school in Memphis.

Sams

Not exactly sure why the way you vote has anything to do with it. I am as conservative as pretty much anyone here, was a poly-sci major at Texas, and manged to get through.

Austin is one of the best cities to raise children in the entire country. Top rate schools all around. The worst school in Austin would be the best school in Memphis.[/quote]

My point is that I found College Station to be ULTRA conservative, small townish, and sheltered. It was a fun stop along the road for me and mine during that time period in my life. Austin is a much large city with a far more diversified population and way more cultural stimulation (in my opinion).

utak

Bevo, do you know anywhere I can find one of those underground shirts that says "Aggies screw sheep" with the complementary image?

sioburch

I can't share much of an opinion about the ROTC at UT or the Corps at A&M, but I went to UT and had a blast and miss it every day! I would move back to Austin in a heartbeat if I could. The culture is very different from A&M and my advice is to go and visit both campuses and the cities before you decide. A&M isn't for everyone and neither is UT but that is something that you have to decide for yourself. I think for PolySci either school is a good choice and you'll get a great education no matter what.

Hook Em'

HuggyU2

None
I don't have the time to read this thread tonight,... maybe I'll get to it later.
But based on your post, I think you should ask if you should go to either. You seem very concerned with "hazing". Are you the type that considers physical punishment or training "hazing"?
Maybe I misinterpreted your post, but if this whole "hazing" thing is what you base your decision on, then I suggest you avoid ROTC altogether.

pat.mckinney1

No my decision to either attend UT or A&M is not based on hazing. I'm hardly concerned just wondering what goes on over at A&M because there is a lot of scuttlebutt that goes around about some of the things they do over. I just wanted to be informed, and not attend a school where all you do is get your a** kicked just cause some sophomores want payback. I still need to visit UT but I have already visited A&M. It's nice with the traditions and its a small town, which can be good. I just need to visit UT, cause the two times I went to A&M it just felt a little awkward but maybe that's just me.

My decision is being based on location, traveling, the school, ROTC, etc. etc. I did not start this post based on the whole idea of just "hazing". I understand training and physical aspects have absolutely nothing to do with hazing. Got no problem with knocking some heads together if something does happen lol. :icon_boxi

In the mean time, I still have to wait for the Naval Academy to make their decision within the next month. More than likely, I'll be offered to attend NAPS rather than getting a direct appointment to the academy.