• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yes Another UT A&M decision

pat.mckinney1

Yes I know this is another one of those posts. I'm trying to decide between Texas A&M and UT. I read some other post of a kid saying he is trying to decide between the two. I know alot of people said "go with what feels right for you" or "go with your gut". At the moment, I have a month until the Naval Academy sends out their letters, and the Blue and Gold Officer said my chances are very good for the prep school (different story). I have a Navy and Army scholarship to both schools and have been accepted to both schools (No I will not be joining army, just something extra :icon_tong). I already went to the Corp of Cadets JCAP program and had a pretty good time.
The big deciding factor for me is what happens behind closed doors. Sure the Corp is an awesome program no doubt, but to you aggies out their, why don't you inform me of that lil tradition called "Axe handling". Yes I know about the whole line " hazing doesn't exist anymore". I know there are traditions like this no matter where you go. But it seems to occur a lot more over at A&M than it would over at UT. Of course the commadant at A&M denies all cases. My girlfriend, for example, went there on an army scholarship. She ended up leaving the corp after FOW because she was beaten with a metal trash can in some "water trash can fight" after she was already on crutches. So let me hear some opinions on what goes on at both UT and A&M cause if anyone wants to take an axe handle or trash can to me, well I guess I'm gonna end up in the brig for a couple years. :D

MPrice07

Pat...
First of all, I'm an Aggie, so I'm biased. :)

It just depends on what kind of experience you want for college. My husband went to A&M and didn't do the corps (he didn't know he wanted to be an aviator until his sophomore year of college). So, he went to A&M, then OCS and now he is a SNA. If you don't want to eat, sleep, and breath military for two years (at least) then I would tell you to reconsider being in the Corps at A&M. That being said, there is an amazing comradery amongst the Corps of Cadets--and all Aggies for that matter. I wouldn't trade being an Aggie for anything. We have so many awesome traditions and it's nice to come across Aggies at every duty station! UT is a good school, but I think it's a TOTALLY different culture. Obviously, you couldn't get the "Corps Experience" at UT. Axehandling--if you want that description, PM me. I dated a guy in the Corps for a long time and heard lots of stories. Also, your girlfriend probably had it really hard. A lot of outfits try to "weed out" the Wags (Woman Ags). What outfit was she in? Anywho, there is hazing that goes on, but it's a lot better than it used to be. It's just like a Frat--but a bit more intense...and pledging the frat lasts a bit longer. A&M is a pretty awesome school though. What were you planning on Majoring in?

pat.mckinney1

In case anyone does ask me later about my major, I was looking at an aerospace engineering major, but didn't meet the quals at UT or A&M. I'm sure it will be easier to get into later rather than right now being a senior in high school. But I have a feeling that political science will hold my attention a lot better because I do plan on possibly becoming a politician after a 20+ year service career in the Navy. Plus the poly science is a good universal major.

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
Do what interests you. Anything else will probably make you loath going to class. Hell, I got my bachelor's in psychology and I got selected for SNA. Don't think being a poly sci major will hurt you.

Also, planning on being a politician after you retire is all well and good, but I planned on being a lawyer, which then changed to clinical psychologist. Ended up being neither. Time changes your mind and your plans.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
I did not go to either school but lived in College Station and in Austin. From purely a "which is a better place to live" standpoint it's Austin hands down. College Station doesn't even come close. Whichever you choose you will have fun so don't stress out either way...

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
You'll get a fantastic education from either school. I went through the Poli Sci program at A&M in addition to the Corps, and I think it was the smartest decision I have made in my life so far. *rant begins* Far as hazing goes, I didn't encounter it, but what some people consider hazing others consider just a morning PTing with their outfit. My opinion on hazing is that its in the eye of the beholder, and people have made so many useful training methods into hazing that the Corps is becoming stonewalled by parents who are overprotective. *rant over*

ANYWAYS, I met a lot of Longhorns during my time as well, and they had nothing but good things to say about UT. There is a healthy rivalry, obviously, so be prepared for some rabid football and basketball fans and some pretty weird traditions (from both schools, and don't you dare deny it Longhorns!) but if you roll with it and have fun with it, you'll have the best four (or five) years of your life.

PM me for more specific information on the NROTC unit or the Poli Sci program at A&M. I can put you in touch with some of the instructors there. Best of luck to you either way, whichever school you pick, you've made a fantastic decision!

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
And P.S. if you want to get a good leg up in avoiding hazing in the Corps, stay away from all-male outfits (yes there are still backwards outfits that haven't integrated) and outfits in the Brigades and the Wings, and DEFINITELY the band. The Regiments (and more specifically still, the First Regiment) are a more evolved form of life in the Corps...you'll find out about that later.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
In case anyone is interested A&M made a new recuiting video. I was able to find it on YouTube and of course yours truly will post it here on AWs:

rare21

pilot
Contributor
ok i went to UT NROTC and can honestly say it was one of the most fun times i've had in my life and it was an experience. I cannot speak for A&M but one of the good things i liked at UT was being treated like an adult. Of course you go through the normal ROTC BS like watch standing, chits, PT, stuff like that but in the end you're left at your own devices. If you fuck up you DO pay for it. But in the end i'm glad that they mostly just left you alone. Do your thing, make it to drill and PT and dont fuck up on academics and you're golden. Here you have a LIFE. And we make good quality officers too. The only thing i liked out of college station was Freebirds and we got one here in Austin tambien.. where's BEVO????

MasterBates

Oh and BTW, Corps of Cadets vs Normal College student in Austin..

Do you like pain for no reason? Go to A&M

Do you like girls and partying? Both will work, but you will have a really dorky haircut at one.

Do you like being treated like an adult (mostly)? UT

BTW, I did BDCP out of an engineering school in MI, so I'm not that biased, but have friends who did both.

I'd go to UT any day of the week over A&M.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I went thru a cadet corps.

I like my friends a lot. I would have liked them just the same without the cadet corps.

Go to UT.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Quality of life, quality of libs, and insanely smoking hot wimmens? Yeah, that bunch of tea-sippin' communists in Austin probably have it right.

The Corps probably is a good place for you if you want a form of the Academy experience but still want to go to school with some "normal" people.

You'll get a quality education in either place. Still: t.u. bites!!!!

And being a former inmate of the Fort Severn Reform School, I can say:

aggieBumperSticker.jpg

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Quality of life, quality of libs, and insanely smoking hot wimmens? Yeah, that bunch of tea-sippin' communists in Austin probably have it right.

The Corps probably is a good place for you if you want a form of the Academy experience but still want to go to school with some "normal" people.

You'll get a quality education in either place. Still: t.u. bites!!!!

And being a former inmate of the Fort Severn Reform School, I can say:

aggieBumperSticker.jpg

you can say "big red x?" show me the womens....oh yeah i'm already working SPI

Bevo16

pilot
where's BEVO????

WORKING!!!

Here goes.

I am sure that you could do a Texas/aggy search here and find many of my takes on the two schools. Those posts have spawned multpile PM's from former aggy Corps members who claim that the many of the problems that plagued the A&M Corps (and earned a reputation as a joke of a unit) while I was in college (1998-2002) have been "fixed". OK, I respect their opinion and trust that they have good sources. The fact remains that old reputations don't change overnight, and the folks at A&M have a while to wait for their reputation to get fixed. IMHO, they still make fools of themselves virtually every time they get on national TV (which is getting fewer and further between due to their football team sucking to such a high degree).

Aggys will tell you about their great "tradition". OK.... saluting dogs? Beating the crap out of each other (like you already mentioned)? Not sitting down at football games? Not being able to wear a hat to a football game? These are just a few of their great traditions. Look, I am all for tradition. However, if the definition of a "tradition" is "a stupid act that we only do because we have done it forever", then count me out. Some others like (help me out here) "roll call" where they honor classmates who have died are kind of neat.

Rare 21 and I were classmates at Texas, so we obviously had very similar experiences. I came in as a prior enlisted, 3rd class Petty Officer and I was very happy to find that the folks running the Unit were going to treat me like an adult. It was made clear to us that our #1 job was to get a 1st rate college education and our time was not going to be wasted with Mickey Mouse bullshit. ROTC obligations were "normal" from what I gather from talking to other people, but at Texas, they are also "minimal". The most important thing for me was that they were flexible. I walked on the football team my freshman year, so they understood that I was getting plenty of workouts in that respect. As such, I did not have to do the morning PT with the unit. I just showed up and maxed out 2 PRTs a year, and that was good enough.

As long as you keep a regulation haircut at Texas, that's fine. No need for the super-moto-corps-cut.

At Texas your free time is your time. The only real exception to this is a few hours of required "study time" as a freshman. That consists of sitting on a couch in the lounge and doing your reading, or using the computer lab to do your homework. You do it in civilian clothes. It's relaxed. They just want to make sure that the freshmen are cracking their books. If you want to join the drill team, pistol team, color guard, sailing team, then that's fine. If not, go join a frat, get a job, or try out for one of the NCAA sports. I played football, there was a guy a few years ahead of me on the track team, and there was a baseball player 2 years behind me.

For our first 2 years, we had a USMC Colonel as a ROTC CO, and the last 2 years we had a Navy Capt. Both were outstanding officers and leaders who kept the unit running well. The only real difference in policy was that we wore uniforms twice a week during the Marine's tenure, only once a week during the Capt's time. You will have a 3 hour "drill" class, and one 3 hour Naval Science class every semester. That, PT, and a couple of unit events (like hosting a regional drill meet) is the extent of your ROTC obligation.

There is no comparison to night life in Austin vs. College Station. There just isn't. Austin has more clubs/bars/resturants in a half mile on 6th Street than all of College Station. Enough said.

If you like sports, either as a fan or participant, Texas is the clear choice. The Longhorns' football team will win more home games in your first two years in Austin than you would see your entire time in College Station. The aggy football team is in the crapper, their recruiting sucks, their coaching is suspect, and they are not getting any better any time soon. I think that aggy might have a slight edge on us in women's soccer, but that's pretty much it.

I know that high school students at Texas seem to keep the reputation that The University is ultra liberal, anti-military, anti-conservative, etc? I honestly never experienced any of that. I came from a small town, grew up on a ranch, am gun owning, and was very outspoken in class (I was a Government major,BTW [what Texas calls Poly-Sci]). Sure, Austin has more that it's share of granola crunching hippies. So what? If you fear hippies and out-of-the-box thinking, then go to a place where "tradition" is the rule of the land. If you want to be a grown up and have a well rounded college experience, then Austin is the place for you.

The current air officer at Texas is another former classmate of mine. If you want his number, just PM me. I am sure that he would be happy to give you a guided tour.

If you have any questions, fire away.