• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yellow Journalism

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Question: How many of you, if you were scared for your lives, or thought an aerial attack on your neighborhood was imminent, would first call News Channel 8?

Oh well, those folks got their 15 minutes. Too bad News Channel 8 couldn't find anyone who enjoyed seeing the bird overhead.

I saw orange and white airplanes flying right over my rooftop on Padre Island...it looked like they could just drop a bomb at any minute.

I called Washington, and get this, they don't even have a hotline for this! Scandal! :eek:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I saw orange and white airplanes flying right over my rooftop on Padre Island...it looked like they could just drop a bomb at any minute.

I called Washington, and get this, they don't even have a hotline for this! Scandal! :eek:

Good one! I bet it they were carrying suitcase nukes secretly disguised as blue practice bombs... where's my tinfoil helmet and where did I put that can opener?

Reminds me of a letter I saw in the Pensacola News Journal, shocked at having seen an "Air Iran" airliner was at the passenger terminal. The online forum replies were mostly "...because you couldn't see the bottom of the letters you idiot. Try 'Air Tran.'"

MPH

"It looked like he was comin' in for an air strike... at any time he coulda come in, dropped a bomb..."

That guys sounds like he knows what an air strike looks like... what a tool

I think it's funny they called the ANG about a Hornet

The week the T-34's were at NASNI, the Coronado Eagle/Journal had a letter to the editor from some douchebag who was complaining that the "World War II airplanes were performing practice bombing runs on the city." I tried to find the letter online to post it, but was unable to do so.

I'd scan it in and post it but HeyJoe would probably tear me a new one for not getting permission first.

blackbart22

pilot
I have dropped bombs on Padre Island. Lots of them. That was when I was a NAVCAD in ATU-301 flying ADs and we had three targets there (Caffee, duck, & edie) plus the "impact area" for rockets and straffing. Of course that was a while back.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
The part where it's the CITY of Austin, not the COUNTRY of Austin. Foreign affairs are not the purview of local governments. If they want to complain, do what every other citizen does - and contact their representation in Congress.

That, and more so:

I vote for my CITY counsel members to administer my CITY. That is the scope of their jurisdiction, and their responsibility. MAYBE they need to get involved in County and State matters when and ONLY when the interaction between the county / state and the city demands a discussion of policy. That is also true to a limited extent with the Federal government, but if Austin has a problem with a federal regulation I would prefer, but not demand, the issue be brought to the state level, and the state could take it up with the Fed.

I DID NOT elect my CITY counsel members because of their views on foreign policy, their skills in diplomacy, or their ability to look beyond the city limits of Austin Texas. Their job ends at the City Limit! (with the exception of that detailed above)

poprlj

I am 71 soon to be 72 years old. I was raised in Austin. It was a great place to be in the 40's and 50's. In 1955,at 17, I enlisted in the USMC. After 5 years I returned and attended UT. Things had changed but one more major thing was to happen which I belive shaped Austin into what it has become. On North Guadlupe there was the State Insane Asylum. They closed it down and many of residents stayed in the area. Some even ran for political office and I think several were elected Mayor. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's all in good fun. I'm from Oregon, the land of the hippies, marijuana-legalizing druggies, and assisted-suicide doctors. And there are wusses aplenty there as well. ;)

In my hometown of Ashland (OR), they passed a ridiculous "Nuclear Free Zone" in the 80s (as though that would have stopped the Feds if they had wanted to station a missile silo there). What it ultimately did was to prevent what would have been a nuclear medicine unit at the local hospital - something that would have benefited the community immensely (jobs, technology, health care, etc). Morons.

Brett

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
In my hometown of Ashland (OR), they passed a ridiculous "Nuclear Free Zone" in the 80s (as though that would have stopped the Feds if they had wanted to station a missile silo there). What it ultimately did was to prevent what would have been a nuclear medicine unit at the local hospital - something that would have benefited the community immensely (jobs, technology, health care, etc). Morons.

Brett

Serves them right.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
...the reporter making it sound like the plane slipped through and didn't notify the FAA (musta been a "Rogue Pilot")...

Sounds like we have a suspect...

movie_pilots_4.jpg

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
I have dropped bombs on Padre Island. Lots of them. That was when I was a NAVCAD in ATU-301 flying ADs and we had three targets there (Caffee, duck, & edie) plus the "impact area" for rockets and straffing. Of course that was a while back.

bb22...man, you worry me!! As you know, I was a couple years behind you out at Corpus...certainly recall the weapons work on Padre...but could not, today, even for the life of me, remember the names of the targets...

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
unbelievable. what kind of a jet is it. people rushing into the streets! Let's call the news station, they'll know what it is! Where's that hotline number for suspicious air traffic!!!! Oh wait! There it is!!!!! 1-866-AIRBUST (FOR REAL) This idiot has no clue what the sound or price of freedom is. MORON!!!!

PJ81

FS SNA
Maybe a lot of people were rushing into the street, but I bet more than a few were excited to see an F/A-18 zoomin around. I know I would have been.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
The citizens of New Haven filed a complaint to the Navy and asked them to stop training Superhornets out of Oceana so near residential areas at "the low altitude of 3000 feet."

The Navy's response:

Clux4

Banned
Folks, let us not forget that the average American has very little clue about the military. After events of 9/11, they have every right to be scared. Seeing an aircraft fly so low and so fast makes them wonder what the problem might be. Who is to say that a disgruntled service member did not steal one with the intentions of flying it into his ex-girlfriend's house. Hornets don't have keys after all.
I love military aviation and I appreciate it but my neighbors may not. That does not mean their response, however bizarre is unwarranted.

I actually think DHS should have a national hotline. I am surprised they don't have it for people to make such complains.