• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yeah...so about these P-3 things...

mike172

GO NAVY
Sorry, are you telling me you didn't even put down P3s on ur sheet, and you got P3s? talk about needs of the Navy. I'm sure all platforms are better than no platforms eh?:)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Sorry, are you telling me you didn't even put down P3s on ur sheet, and you got P3s? talk about needs of the Navy. I'm sure all platforms are better than no platforms eh?:)

Yup. And you damn well better believe that last part. Don't kid yourself, its the man's Navy and he'll put you where he wants you. Perform like a rockstar...and it may not matter. If you can't accept that, you are just setting yourself up for a fall. If there is anything the last month has shown me, it is that I would rather be flying...period. I am actually pretty excited about what is ahead of me...its a whole different set of challenges and rewards. It def. took some recalibration on my part and I still would/do relish the chance to CQ and go off the front...but I am ready to bust my ass and do my best in my community.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
It seems like a lot of the instructors in Corpus, primary and advanced, are pursuing that route...are they the only ones with the hours?

yeah, if you don't get screwed and you get to go VT's or VP-30, you should have enough hours. VT guys rack them up. If you end up taking one for the team... flying outside after your first commitment may not happen.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
yeah, if you don't get screwed and you get to go VT's or VP-30, you should have enough hours. VT guys rack them up. If you end up taking one for the team... flying outside after your first commitment may not happen.
You may need to make a short (year or two) pit stop at a regional but you'll get there a lot quicker than the civilian guy will. The only thing that would be limiting would be a major with a 1000 turbine PIC requirement. SWA, FedEx & UPS are it I think. Delta, AA, Continential, Northwest, US Airways and the vast majority of the national and ACMI carriers would be quite possible with the a year or 2 of regional flying.

phrogpilot73

like a VP guy has enough hours for that!

You may need to make a short (year or two) pit stop at a regional but you'll get there a lot quicker than the civilian guy will.

Better chance of a VP guy than a straight HMM, HMH, HMLA, HSC, HCS, HC, HSL, HM (Did I hit all the Navy ones?), HT guy... Here's the formula for the airlines:

1000 Turbine Helo Hours = Syphilis.

How long do you think a straight helo guy would have to spend at the regionals?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
How long do you think a straight helo guy would have to spend at the regionals?
Longer than the P-3 guy....sorry but that's the best I can do. I do not much experience with this one.

There are some regionals that are more "helo" friendly than others. Skywest for instance.

If you want to spend some time working at a bottom feeder but getting jet time, I know USA Jets is helo friendly. They fly Falcons and DC-9s on demand cargo. You're on call 24/7 and have to live within 15 minutes of the field.

What the helo time will give you is a quicker shot at the left seat once you meet fixed wing ATP minimums. Many regional guys are getting hired at very low time while their airline requires 2500-3000 total time hours to upgrade. So their seniority would hold a Captain seat but they don't have the flight time. You helo time would count for this.

At most major airlines there is the published minimum and the competitive minimum (which is unpublished). The published minimum will include the total fixed wing requirements. For example, the published minimum might be 2500 total, 1500 multi and 1000 turbine PIC where the competitive minimum might be 4000 total and 2000 turbine PIC. (Or it might be "know someone" but that's another topic.) You would need to build the fixed wing mins at a regional but once you have it your helo time might put you into the competitive mins category. It all depends on the airline.