• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

XBOX360 or PS3

Birdman

It really should not cost a 100 bucks for a freking wireless adapter and I can go on all day on that subject but at the end of the day, its a one time expense.

I bought a generic wireless adapter by d-link for $20 and it works fine, no problems.

snake020

Contributor
MGS4 and free online is reason enough for the PS3. Other than that, not much difference between the 360 and PS3 as far as gaming is concerned.

The Wii is for little kids. Granted the tennis/baseball/bowling/boxing combo game is fun, but serious games aren't for this console.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
MGS4 and free online is reason enough for the PS3. Other than that, not much difference between the 360 and PS3 as far as gaming is concerned.

The Wii is for little kids. Granted the tennis/baseball/bowling/boxing combo game is fun, but serious games aren't for this console.
Man I hate the premise of the Metal Gear series, If you build a metal gear, and then it gets stolen, and then you build another and THAT one gets stolen, and then you build another and THAT one gets stolen, I think it's time for you to get out of the metal gear business... but then again Los Alamos is still open for business...

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
4) I like the built in rechargeable batteries in the PS3 controllers. It's a small thing, and I know you can buy rechargeable battery packs for the 360 controllers, but, guess what, another nickel and dime of the 360.
You might change your mind when the Lithium battery is depleted and you have to buy a whole new controller.

5) Blu-ray, in my opinion, is winning the hi-def video battle right now. Don't believe me? Go to Wal-Mart/Target/the Nex/etc, and see how big the Blu-ray display is compared to the HD-DVD one, and then notice how many empty or less than full Blu-ray spots there are as compared to the HD-DVD. Not many appear to be sold. In addition, Blockbuster dropped HD-DVD, and more movie rental stores are starting to push Blu-ray than HD-DVD, which will help Blu-ray gain the foothold.

Possibly. Grated the rental stores pushing Blu-ray gives a great deal of credibility to the format, however the fact that HD-DVD players are much cheaper right now could mean the difference in the format war.

7) I don't remember about the 360, but the internet access on the PS3 is a nice feature too. When I get done rocking out on Guitar Hero, I can then surf on over to Airwarriors to get my fix :)
No internet access on Xbox, however market place gets more expansive with every publish. More than anything Xbox is becomming a media center where you can get movies, arcade games, trailers, music, etc.

8) I can't attest to the processor performance the Statesman has referred to, but I've yet to have any kind of issues with any of the games I've played.
You wont see it yet. These complaints are comming out from developers who are developing the next genneration of games which can actually utilize the full capacity of the consoles. The power is just not there, and the Cell is not nearly as efficient as the PowerPC.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Wow, looks like Sony is seriously hurting on that list!

Based on that list alone, I would go with the XBox 360 (91 released games and 47 unreleased games - and that's JUST the console-exclusive lineup :eek:)
It's actually 44 released with 47 unreleased for a total of 91 games...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
You might change your mind when the Lithium battery is depleted and you have to buy a whole new controller.

Sony has stated they will replace a controller if the battery dies.

Possibly. Grated the rental stores pushing Blu-ray gives a great deal of credibility to the format, however the fact that HD-DVD players are much cheaper right now could mean the difference in the format war.

That's interesting, as most standalone HD-DVD and Blu-ray players that I've seen are almost identical in price. The only real pricing difference I've seen is in the cost of movies, with HD-DVD having the edge by a few dollars. Blu-ray discs do seem to be coming down in price since I first started buying them though.

I think Sony had a marketing goldmine when they packaged the Blu-ray with the PS3. It was a big part of why I bought it...would I rather buy an Xbox and add a $300 player or get a PS3 that can play games and watch a hi-def movie on? Wasn't a tough choice for me.

You wont see it yet. These complaints are comming out from developers who are developing the next genneration of games which can actually utilize the full capacity of the consoles. The power is just not there, and the Cell is not nearly as efficient as the PowerPC.
Ah, that does make sense. I guess I'll just have to wait for the PS4, which the earliest market date is supposed to be around 2010-11 :)

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
When the difference is only $50-$60 between the two, I don't really consider it that much of a cost savings. Just me.

[/quote]

I never said they were the best selling game system, but they were smart to package the two different technologies together. Quite a few people I know who own a PS3 bought it because they wanted Blu-ray and figured having the game system would be a great bonus. Others bought it the loved the PS3 gaming system and the Blu-ray was the bonus.

The stat I would be interested in hearing is what kind of hi-def system an Xbox owner has in their home. I think that'd be a good way to highlight the two.

flyerstud4

I went to Bestbuy today and I talked to two guys there, who both said the PS3 is the way to go. I looked at the 360 and PS3 and compared some prices. THe 360 is cheaper, but as stated on here already, there are bunch of little things, not included. The only thing that puzzled me about the PS3 was other then the memory difference and not being able to play PS2 games, the 40GB PS3 is a good deal. Anyone got any input on the 40GB?

Conaway

Right now, the PS3 is only a good home theater PC because there are few games and the developers haven't taken advantage of it's power yet. A 360 is really the way to go right now because it has comparable use and the high def games available make it a better choice.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I see the paradox that is the console debate is already commencing.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference. I like my 360 better for several of my own reasons. I have friends who like their PS3's for completely different reasons. To the OP: go check out a friend's PS3 (if you can find one) and a friend's 360 and see what your cup of tea is.

Anyone got any input on the 40GB?

I have a friend who has the 40GB. My understanding is that it's incapable of playing PS2 games and it doesn't have wireless controllers. It may have the wireless internet but I'm not sure. Those have been his only complaints.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_the_40gb_ps3_and_the_60gb_PS3

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
This may explain things.
venn_copy.jpg