• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

XBOX360 or PS3

flyerstud4

Got some gift cards for xmas and was looking at purchasing one or the other. I'm not expert, so I was hoping some of the owners out there could enlighten me on which one is the best choice. I looked at their websites, but of course they are only gonna tell you what is great about their product.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is no question when you look at the stats, XBox 360 is leading the pack.

Most of the top 10 games in gaming right now are on the XBox 360. Some are cross platforms, many are exclusive to the 360. XBox Live is crushing any of the other system's comparable setups. It costs much less (except Wii), which is nice. PS3 lagged sales this holiday by nearly 2 to 1, Sony is having trouble keeping up.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
Want a gaming system?
get a 360

Want a blue ray player?
get a PS3

I'd recommend the PS3 for sure. I bought a PS3 60GB and a Wii when they first came out and love them both and still play them to this day. I bought and sold my XBOX 360 within a month because I thought it sucked. The only justification for buying a 360 would be if you're a computer game junky who'd rather drop $400 on a video game system than $2000+ on a high end gaming computer. PS3 is worth it for the games alone, but the Blu-Ray player is a sweet bonus (I have about 35 Blu-ray movies right now and they look AMAZING on my 1080P HDTV!). Just my $0.02...

joshmf

I think most people aren't really going to notice a difference in the technical aspects or how they play. I went with a 360 over the PS3, but I considered a PS3 because I have a lot of PS2 games I won't be able to play, and FF is still exclusive to Sony. For the 360 you have Halo 3, Gears of War, Forza, Mass Effect (Viva Pinata ;)) etc... And the 360 was quite a bit cheaper then the PS3 at the time, so I'm happy.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I have a PS3 and I love it. I would definately purchase another PS3 before getting a xbox360. People love to badmouth it just because it's so expensive, but considering all that you get and how much each part would cost separate, you are getting a good bargain. As for online play, I will point out that online gameplay for the PS3 is FREE. The ONLY thing you would spend money on is if you wanted to download a game or add-on later. There's my two cents.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
My recommendation is to go with the 360. Several reasons why:
1.) As mentioned above Xbox has a much bigger install base. Last figures I saw put Xbox at greater than PS3 and Wii Combined. Not to say that you should jump on the band waggon and be one of the cool crowd, rather you should consider that when developers think about making games the install base is a big factor in the decision to publish on a certain platform. Some go for dual platform, but many developers are shying away from PS3 for several reasons, one being that PS3 doesnt have enough units installed to warrent developing games.

2.) Developers are shying away from PS3 for another reason. Namely that the "hidden power" of Sony's proprietary Cell processor is pretty much nonexistant. Sony talked up their Cell technology prior to launch but developers havent seen it yet. Xbox uses the much more efficient PowerPC processor designed by IBM and until recently was the only processor to be installed in Mac G5s. Its a very efficient and field proven processor.

3.) Developers are shying away from PS3 for yet a 3rd reason. The developement tools are difficult to use, and developing for the PS3 is more of a headache than it is worth especially considering the small install base.

4.) Xbox has the bigger titles and will for the forseeable future. PS3 is getting Metal Gear 4, but thats about its only exclusive. Xbox has the Halo franchise (a new title is expected mid to late 08, Halo Wars), Mass Effect, and other exclusives as well as dual platform titles such as GTA.

5.) Xbox has the Live service which, while you do have to pay for it, is leaps and bounds above PS3s online service. Interface and network integrity wise Live is a much better service.

There are other reasons to go with Xbox, but those are just a few. The main point being that due to reasons 1 - 3 you might want to consider if you will have any games to play in the future.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Its all about the SuperNES Emulator folks. Who can say no to these graphics:

Super_Mario_World.gif

Raptor2216

I like HALO and I bought an xbox just for that alone. The one thing I hate very much about the xbox is the whole nickel and dime scheme. It really should not cost a 100 bucks for a freking wireless adapter and I can go on all day on that subject but at the end of the day, its a one time expense. I have never played a PS3 game other than what i've seen on demo at the stores and it looks great and all but that about says it for my PS3 knowledge. I don't know what your financial situation is but why not just buy both? I'm planning on getting a PS3 in the near future.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
To throw more fuel on the decision, get a PS3. I have a PS3, my brother in law lived with me this past summer and had a 360, PS3 hands down.

1) PS3 is a bit more on initial cost, but in the long run I think Xbox nickels and dimes you out of everything. The PS3 comes with the wireless and Blu-ray built in, plus it is compatible with run-of-the-mill bluetooth, so your earbud from your cell-phone works with the PS3. Those add ons to a Xbox can add more than 300 hundred dollars to the initial cost. Not to mention you have to buy XBox Live time, but every single bit of online PS3 play is absolutely free.

2) I think the graphics are much, much better on a PS3 than a 360. Like I said, my bro-in-law lived here over the summer and we had my PS3 and his 360 attached to my 1080p Samsung DLP. The PS3 blew the 360 out of the water. We even tested both with straight up red/white/yello AV cables and the PS3 looked much better.

3) I will admit, one downside is the absence of some games from the PS3 lineup. However, for me, that wasn't as big a factor in my decision. I've played the new HALO, and while it's cool, it's not the be-all-end-all to games. Granted, I'm not a super-hard core gamer, so not having some games available doesn't make me lose sleep at night. It might to you, but the current line-up of games keeps me more than happy.

4) I like the built in rechargeable batteries in the PS3 controllers. It's a small thing, and I know you can buy rechargeable battery packs for the 360 controllers, but, guess what, another nickel and dime of the 360.

5) Blu-ray, in my opinion, is winning the hi-def video battle right now. Don't believe me? Go to Wal-Mart/Target/the Nex/etc, and see how big the Blu-ray display is compared to the HD-DVD one, and then notice how many empty or less than full Blu-ray spots there are as compared to the HD-DVD. Not many appear to be sold. In addition, Blockbuster dropped HD-DVD, and more movie rental stores are starting to push Blu-ray than HD-DVD, which will help Blu-ray gain the foothold.

6) Sony is in the process of developing their systems/software to allow owners to install third-party operating systems on the hard drives. In essence, they would be creating an all inclusive computer and game system. The article I read is their goal is to make the PS3 not only a gaming system, but a family entertainment system as well. Plus, Sony seems to be constantly updating the system with game updates and system updates.

7) I don't remember about the 360, but the internet access on the PS3 is a nice feature too. When I get done rocking out on Guitar Hero, I can then surf on over to Airwarriors to get my fix :)

8) I can't attest to the processor performance the Statesman has referred to, but I've yet to have any kind of issues with any of the games I've played.

It does come down to personal preference, some people just don't like Sony or just don't like Microsoft. That said, I think the PS3 is the better choice cost wise as well as performance wise.

Oh, and if anyone is interested, my s/n on the PS3 is insanebikerboy too.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
Blu-ray, in my opinion, is winning the hi-def video battle right now. Don't believe me? Go to Wal-Mart/Target/the Nex/etc, and see how big the Blu-ray display is compared to the HD-DVD one, and then notice how many empty or less than full Blu-ray spots there are as compared to the HD-DVD. Not many appear to be sold. In addition, Blockbuster dropped HD-DVD, and more movie rental stores are starting to push Blu-ray than HD-DVD, which will help Blu-ray gain the foothold.

I totally agree with you there! Want to know the reason why? HD-DVD is NOT a "new" type of format, it's basically DVD version 1.5! Blu-ray IS a new technology that has tons of growth potential. The biggest mistake that the movie makers who sided with Toshiba and Microsoft and are pushing the HD-DVD format is that they aren't also distributing movies on Blu-ray, because when the "war" finally ends and Sony's Blu-ray format wins out, those movie companies will be scrambling to play catch-up and there will be a lot of pissed off people with HD-DVD players and HD-DVD movie collections that will have no market to offload that junk to...

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I don't know about all the technical stuff but Halo 3 is cool for XBox, and I think you can get Call of Duty 4 on 360 as well. Or talk a friend into getting one so you get the benefits, and then buy a Wii.

PS: the games on 360 load kind of slow. I mean gimme a break that much $$, come on Microsoft, make games load faster.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Just about the only big game that is exclusive to the 360 is Halo, which really isn't a surprise to anyone. Playstation has several exclusive game rights as well.