• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

X52 Anti Micro Set Up

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Man, this ASTB prep sure has gotten complicated. I've been flying for 24 years in 50 different types of aircraft, and I still don't know what a "clutch" button is. The throttle does control the fuel though, at least from what I understand. ;)

dav246

I bet after correcting that mistake next time you'll have a way higher score. But yeah you'll press the clutch button a total of 3 times. One for everytime you adjust the knobs for an emergency.
All my mistakes in order:
1. Didn't understand that speed mattered on the UAV, didnt really try, practiced for accuracy, went for accuracy. Got them all right, but with an average of 5 seconds. Even without practicing I probably could have at least managed a 3 second average if I had known they wanted both. No problem now though, been hitting the UAV sim like a crack addict and am down to like a 1.3 second average with no mistakes.
2. Fucked up the listening section by just slamming the appropriate trigger every time I heard a number vs focusing on one ear.
3. Didn't do that great on the double sticks, totally botched the hearing and sticks combined due to #2
4. And now, not pressing buttons on the emergency portion.

I am grateful that I have managed to identify mistakes for correction, but man, I sure hope thats all of them, my #2 attempt is in 5 days.

MotorCookie

All my mistakes in order:
1. Didn't understand that speed mattered on the UAV, didnt really try, practiced for accuracy, went for accuracy. Got them all right, but with an average of 5 seconds. Even without practicing I probably could have at least managed a 3 second average if I had known they wanted both. No problem now though, been hitting the UAV sim like a crack addict and am down to like a 1.3 second average with no mistakes.
2. Fucked up the listening section by just slamming the appropriate trigger every time I heard a number vs focusing on one ear.
3. Didn't do that great on the double sticks, totally botched the hearing and sticks combined due to #2
4. And now, not pressing buttons on the emergency portion.

I am grateful that I have managed to identify mistakes for correction, but man, I sure hope thats all of them, my #2 attempt is in 5 days.
Those are pretty much the improvements I made except for the emergency section and I got 9's. I think you should be good but definitely keep practicing.

MotorCookie

Man, this ASTB prep sure has gotten complicated. I've been flying for 24 years in 50 different types of aircraft, and I still don't know what a "clutch" button is. The throttle does control the fuel though, at least from what I understand. ;)
What was the ASTB like before this? Same but without the stick and throttle portion?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the amount of effort expended, could have solo’d in a GA by now (which to me seems like better prep).
NAMI: “But . . . but . . . we need to make the ASTB this absurd screening so we don’t waste 0.00003 percent of the DOD budget sending this person to get 25 hours in a Cessna! And also justify my FITREP so I can make O-5”

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
What was the ASTB like before this? Same but without the stick and throttle portion?
Paper and #2 pencil. This was in 2004. There was a soft cover study book to prepare that we all somehow acquired.

Simple, and decently effective at predicting performance flight school. 7s and above nearly always had an NSS above 50, at least according to my Primary Stucon IP at VT-27.

FireSnow

Are you using Anti-MicroX for your joystick and throttle? You can map the "Enter" button on your keyboard to the clutch button on the throttle. On the real test you will be pressing the clutch button.

Here's where the clutch button is:

View attachment 38673

I don't know if it'll work on your PC, but if you're using AntiMicroX, you can use the settings file I've been using before I took the test. I attached it below. It has all the needed buttons mapped already.

Were you pressing Enter on the keyboard during the real test?
So I used this x52joystick.zip file on AntiMicroX and I can load the save to map the buttons, but it will not apply it in the sim. I used it with AntiMicro and it applies it in the sim, but I think the sensitivity and smoothness might be off.

I have never taken the real test so I am not sure how close this sim is to the real test. I know it won't be perfect, but I want to make sure I get good practice in and make good use of my time.

It seems though when you move the joystick halfway out in any direction it barely starts applying the input, but then you move it out a little more and the aim picks up very fast across the screen. I understand it can be me not being used to it, but I want to make sure it is not because I am using that file on AntiMicro instead of AntiMicroX as you said to use it on? I have ran all these things with and without administrator access as well so I know that is not the issue. Also, does anyone know what sensitivity should be at?

Has anyone else experienced these kind of issues? Open to other button mapping applications too or even a step by step on fixing any possible sensitivity or smoothness issues. Any help is appreciated.

MotorCookie

So I used this x52joystick.zip file on AntiMicroX and I can load the save to map the buttons, but it will not apply it in the sim. I used it with AntiMicro and it applies it in the sim, but I think the sensitivity and smoothness might be off.

I have never taken the real test so I am not sure how close this sim is to the real test. I know it won't be perfect, but I want to make sure I get good practice in and make good use of my time.

It seems though when you move the joystick halfway out in any direction it barely starts applying the input, but then you move it out a little more and the aim picks up very fast across the screen. I understand it can be me not being used to it, but I want to make sure it is not because I am using that file on AntiMicro instead of AntiMicroX as you said to use it on? I have ran all these things with and without administrator access as well so I know that is not the issue. Also, does anyone know what sensitivity should be at?

Has anyone else experienced these kind of issues? Open to other button mapping applications too or even a step by step on fixing any possible sensitivity or smoothness issues. Any help is appreciated.
Yeah that’s just an issue with either the AntimicroX program or with the sim itself. The real test has much more precision, control, and it’s really easy to track the targets because of how smooth the controls are.

It could also be something wrong with your stick and throttle. If you ever tried using the TBAS Prep software, it is the closest thing to how the real thing is in regards to how to controls feel.

Just keep practicing on hard mode and you’ll be fine.

Also use AntiMicroX. Antimicro is outdated

Last edited:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

nerds-mad.gif

FireSnow

Yeah that’s just an issue with either the AntimicroX program or with the sim itself. The real test has much more precision, control, and it’s really easy to track the targets because of how smooth the controls are.

It could also be something wrong with your stick and throttle. If you ever tried using the TBAS Prep software, it is the closest thing to how the real thing is in regards to how to controls feel.

Just keep practicing on hard mode and you’ll be fine.

Also use AntiMicroX. Antimicro is outdated
Ok. Thanks. Do you know what range might be good? Such as under 200 from target in each or under 130?

MotorCookie

Ok. Thanks. Do you know what range might be good? Such as under 200 from target in each or under 130?
On hard difficulty I recorded a lot of my practice attempts and it looks like I was averaging about 130 for the Target Score and 110 for the Throttle Score.

On default difficulties I was about 80 and 70