• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WTF?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Combine the questionable use of deadly force under the guise of "self-defence" and what is from all accounts an incompetent/botched investigation by local law enforcement, finally throw in some racial minorities and you've got yourself a story. Horrible things happen to people/kids everyday in this country, few receive media attention. That said, it's not hard to figure out why this one merits the attention it has received. I don't see a double standard, one is just more interesting. In urban areas black vs latino crime gets very little attention. Call it Karma.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
It wouldn't make me so angry if people would wait until all the facts were available before, you know, jumping to conclusions....like some well known politicians.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But that's the American way - right up there with Baseball and Apple Pie. You have to admit, based on what has been released, it does not look good for Zimmerman (or the local LE). Even if it was an honest mistake, it's a shame that a kid had to die needlessly.

NYIsles

In this case, they don't know the suspects, but they would surely be arrested if they caught them. The Florida incident is wildly different in that they have the suspect but justice isn't being carried out. I think thats what is the real frustrating issue for a lot of people. It really does not happen often that somebody gets killed with this much evidence and no one is arrested. Can't really see how the stories are similar at all other than that a teen was attacked, but that's still kind of a reach as Trayvon Martin was actually killed...

its all about what has happened after.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Channeling Paul Harvey - where's the "rest of the story"? This (burning) happened in February - has an arrest been made?

I suspect the point that FlyinRock tried to make was this: The tragic and needless death of this young boy has become a national referendum on race relations - and if one were foolish enough to believe everything they hear on television these days they would be led to believe it's a one dimensional problem.

As an interesting aside - does anyone else find it a bit peculiar that MSNBC hasn't stepped in and stopped Sharpton from covering the story as part of his regular show while at the same time inserting himself as an active participant?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Channeling Paul Harvey - where's the "rest of the story"? This (burning) happened in February - has an arrest been made?

I suspect the point that FlyinRock tried to make was this: The tragic and needless death of this young boy has become a national referendum on race relations - and if one were foolish enough to believe everything they hear on television these days they would be led to believe it's a one dimensional problem.

As an interesting aside - does anyone else find it a bit peculiar that MSNBC hasn't stepped in and stopped Sharpton from covering the story as part of his regular show while at the same time inserting himself as an active participant?
I'm surprised MSNBC hasn't stepped in and stopped Sharpton from broadcasting in general. He's atrocious and completely unwatchable. That aside, he's in the same "pundit" category as Hanity or O'Reilly. Not a journalist by any stretch, so none of them are held to any kind of journalistic standards.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
It wouldn't make me so angry if people would wait until all the facts were available before, you know, jumping to conclusions....like some well known politicians.

And lets not forget the news gets it wrong A LOT. Even the details that are 'known'. When the story was published about me, it said I walked into my garage to investigate a noise. Thats not at all what happened. I went to turn out a light that I thought I had left on. The comments on the story exploded about how stupid I was for investigating a potential robbery without being armed. The news got it wrong, and the internet people are idiots... Mostly... the guys over here at AW are pretty cool... mostly.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Obviously setting a kid on fire is beyond the pale.

Unfortunately, people do horrible things everyday. In a nation of 300 million people, some pretty bad things are going to happen.

The Treyvon Martin case is receiving national press because of the way the police punted it into the stands. They are supposed to know what they are supposed to do. Regardless of the ultimate resolution, and the "Stand Your Ground" law, they let a guy walk out of a police station who just shot another person under very dubious circumstances. Maybe there's enough reasonable doubt when it gets to court, but they definitely had probable cause from all accounts thus far.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Obviously setting a kid on fire is beyond the pale.

Unfortunately, people do horrible things everyday. In a nation of 300 million people, some pretty bad things are going to happen.

The Treyvon Martin case is receiving national press because of the way the police punted it into the stands. They are supposed to know what they are supposed to do. Regardless of the ultimate resolution, and the "Stand Your Ground" law, they let a guy walk out of a police station who just shot another person under very dubious circumstances. Maybe there's enough reasonable doubt when it gets to court, but they definitely had probable cause from all accounts thus far.

BINGO! When the PD porked away their handling of this they opened themselves up to scrutiny - much of which has been baseless, hyperbole, paranoia, inflammatory, and divisive. But.... this seems, at least to me, to be an unforced error.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
In the middle of a 10 hour ASWEX, when the helos have had their third crew cycle through and get their readiness and head backsheep and we're still onstation, I too have been known to utter the phrase "why the fuck didn't I fly helos?"

..then I go land. On land.