• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WSJ Journalist lands on Carrier...

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I agree it is splitting hairs and its really not all that important of an issue to begin with, but for what its worth I think the danger factor has a direct correlation to what happens when things go wrong and how often they do. Obviously activities that kill you when you screw up are more "dangerous". When the discovery channel did their show where they ranked the worlds "most dangerous jobs" you could argue that most of the jobs they listed are simply unforgiving of mistakes. Captain makes a bad decision on an Alaskan king crab fishing boat and it sinks killing the crew, etc. etc. What you studs and the saltier types here on this board do for a living is dangerous. I bet if it wasn't you wouldn't be that interested in doing it. UAV's anyone?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
....stuff about Alaskan fishing boats....

Ah, but to continue beating the horse...

Is it the Captain's (or any crewmembers') fault when a 50 foot wave washes over the deck and sweeps a man overboard in the course of hauling in crab? There is no mistake being committed by anyone on board, yet someone can get killed.

In my point of view, and yes both of these can kill you, but

Accepted risk = dangerous (rotor blade fails due to fatigue stress, wave washes over the deck)

Induced risk = unforgiving of mistakes (wrench left in gearbox, improperly stowed crab pot falls on your head)

And yes, the "most dangerous jobs" highlights an interesting point. I'm of the mindset that most things that people consider dangerous are only dangerous if done improperly. BASE jumping, bungee jumping, etc....not dangerous, but fun. Jumping off of a 100 foot cliff to see if you live, Russian roulette....pretty dangerous (and stupid).

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Semantics, semantics... This thread has been jacked long enough. So back to those funny talking orientals...:D

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Spent any time in Asia?

It would be "Roger Barr"

They cant pronounce "l" not "r"
Just for conversations sake...

In Japanese they're both the same sound, it just comes off "more" as an "r" than an "l" most of the time.

However, too many Taiwanese parachute kids in my hometown are named Lo (Low, Lou, Lu,) for me to believe that those with Names-of-One-Syllable ALSO have this problem.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
In my point of view, and yes both of these can kill you, but

Accepted risk = dangerous (rotor blade fails due to fatigue stress, wave washes over the deck)

Induced risk = unforgiving of mistakes (wrench left in gearbox, improperly stowed crab pot falls on your head)

And yes, the "most dangerous jobs" highlights an interesting point. I'm of the mindset that most things that people consider dangerous are only dangerous if done improperly. BASE jumping, bungee jumping, etc....not dangerous, but fun. Jumping off of a 100 foot cliff to see if you live, Russian roulette....pretty dangerous (and stupid).

I see your point, but repeated over 1000 trials, they're much the same. Eventually a mistake will be made, and unless safeguards are in place, someone will die. That's why you see the "swiss cheese" model in safety classes. Every pilot will make a dangerous error eventually, but a procedure, or automation, or a system, will stop the holes in the cheese from all lining up.

If you haven't seen one of those briefs that will make no sense.

By your analogy, tightrope walking accross the Grand Canyon isn't dangerous, because it will be fine as long as he makes 0 mistakes. It's dangerous because there are no safeguards--it's very unforgiving of mistakes.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Just for conversations sake.......too many Taiwanese ....are named Lo (Low, Lou, Lu,) for me to believe that those with Names-of-One-Syllable ALSO have this problem.
Good gwief. It's pwobwem ... pronounced "pwobwem", for the Wove of God.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....you see the "swiss cheese" model in safety classes. ...If you haven't seen one of those briefs that will make no sense....
I haven't; but it does -- make sense ... and it's an interesting prop for a safety brief.

The 3 most dangerous things in Aviation:

1. A pilot making investments.

2. A doctor (also insert dentist or lawyer) in a Piper Arrow.

3. A female flight attendant with a chipped front tooth ....

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
I see your point, but repeated over 1000 trials, they're much the same. Eventually a mistake will be made, and unless safeguards are in place, someone will die. That's why you see the "swiss cheese" model in safety classes. Every pilot will make a dangerous error eventually, but a procedure, or automation, or a system, will stop the holes in the cheese from all lining up.

I've seen the swiss cheese model, and that kind of explains my point of view. You say pilots make dangerous errors, but procedures/systems/etc prevents the holes in the cheese from lining up. So, even if the pilot's action is "dangerous", is it truly dangerous if the systems/etc keep something from happening?

By your analogy, tightrope walking accross the Grand Canyon isn't dangerous, because it will be fine as long as he makes 0 mistakes.

Again, illustrates my point of view. Tightroping across the Grand Canyon, yeah, probably pretty dangerous, but that's due to external influences, i.e., wind, birds, whatever pushing him off. However, tightrope that same distance at a height of 2 feet, would you still say it's dangerous? So, tightroping in itself isn't "dangerous".

It's dangerous because there are no safeguards--it's very unforgiving of mistakes.

Right, no safeguards. Would you still consider tightroping across the Grand Canyon dangerous if the guy wore a parachute?

Don't fleet helicopters have double and triple redundancies on hydraulic systems? Those safeguards reduce the risk to a level that if you lose all of your hydraulic systems, either you're just one unlucky dude or some serious mistake was made, since you have to have hydraulics to fly a 60. The odds of all pumps failing, pretty slim, so something more than likely would have to been done wrong to cause them to fail, be it wrong hydraulic fluid or improper maintenance. So, the helicopter itself is safe to fly but unforgiving if you do something wrong.

Here's a question for A4's and the rest of the tailhookers. Is it dangerous to land on a boat if you fly exactly what the LSO tells you to do, and you fly a perfect ball all the way to a 3 wire? I'd argue no, but it's unforgiving if said pilot ignores the LSO, spots the deck and decides to pull power and ends up landing hard on a 1 wire, maybe even pancaking the plane. What caused the 1 wire? It wasn't anything with the plane going wrong, it was a mistake by the pilot and flying wrong. So, unforgiving of a bad approach. Obviously, I'll defer to someone who has actually trapped, but I think that's a relevant example.

The way I look at it is, why does Naval Aviation label incidents as "mishaps" instead of "accidents"? Again, maybe semantics, but I think it illustrates the differences between dangerous and unforgiving. I still think that something is dangerous if it's something that's a result of being outside of your control, but it's unforgiving if it's a result of a mistake you make on your own.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Here's a question for A4's and the rest of the tailhookers. Is it dangerous to land on a boat if you fly exactly what the LSO tells you to do...
Yes ... it's always dangerous ... and I have the stained U-Trou to prove it. At least I used to ... mabey I burned 'em ... :)

The flight deck of a carrier is the most dangerous (arguable) place in the world, even when everyone does EXACTLY what they are supposed to ... in your trap example: hook skips, hook point failures, wires breaking, noise, missed LSO calls, engine failures, darkness, not enough wind, too much wind, heck, even the burble is different every day and sometimes every recovery, and many mechanical failures that are no big deal at the field become a HUGE deal at the ship ... it's always "different" and that makes it "dangerous".

If your example pilot "ignores" the LSO and/or "pulls power" he's done for a while. Maybe permanently depending on his history and the circumstances ... it should never happen. Dangerous? Sure. Stupid? Definitely ...

Example of dangerous/stupid/preventable: I tried to pull a guy's Wings once. He was a Fleet Aviator with 1/2 cruise in the books. "They" said I was being too hard on him. Six months later he was dead, an airplane was destroyed, and he took a stashed Ensign with him .... was that -- the board's decision to continue him -- "dangerous" -- and "acceptable" -- or "induced" ... ??? :) The losses COULD have been prevented.

Just when you think something "shouldn't happen" ... it does. It's "dangerous" just crossing the street.

That's the nature of the game.

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
Yes ... it's always dangerous ... and I have the stained U-Trou to prove it. At least I used to ... mabey I burned 'em ... :)

The flight deck of a carrier is the most dangerous (arguable) place in the world, even when everyone does EXACTLY what they are supposed to ... in your trap example: hook skips, hook point failures, wires breaking, noise, missed LSO calls, engine failures, darkness, not enough wind, too much wind, heck, even the burble is different every day and sometimes every recovery, and many mechanical failures that are no big deal at the field become a HUGE deal at the ship ... it's always "different" and that makes it "dangerous".

If your example pilot "ignores" the LSO and/or "pulls power" he's done for a while. Maybe permanently depending on his history and the circumstances ... it should never happen. Dangerous? Sure. Stupid? Definitely ...

Example of dangerous/stupid/preventable: I tried to pull a guy's Wings once. He was a Fleet Aviator with 1/2 cruise in the books. "They" said I was being too hard on him. Six months later he was dead, an airplane was destroyed, and he took a stashed Ensign with him .... was that -- the board's decision to continue him -- "dangerous" -- and "acceptable" -- or "induced" ... ??? :) The losses COULD have been prevented.

Just when you think something "shouldn't happen" ... it does. It's "dangerous" just crossing the street.

That's the nature of the game.

Yes, and that all makes perfect sense. But that highlights all of the danger working on the deck, but what about the act of flying the plane. Granted, the flight deck is aviation related, but it's not flying a plane.

My dad and I were just talking about this, and he brought up a good point. Is an aircraft sitting on the ground dangerous at all? No, but then introduce the human element. Still not dangerous. The odds of mechanical failure in flight are small (~20%-25%), which, yes, is dangerous. However, the pilot while in flight makes a procedural error, flips the wrong switch, maneuvers incorrectly. Is the mere act of flipping a switch dangerous? No. But what if it's like the Far Side cartoon and it's the wings fall off switch? Pretty unforgiving of that mistake. Again, procedures. 75-80% of all mishaps are human error. If we were all that dangerous at flying, why give anyone wings? It's mistakes that cause most mishaps, not danger inherent in the aircraft.

Another point from trapping on a carrier, why don't IP's fly in the back when studs CQ in advanced? Is it because they're afraid the airplane can't handle the landing, or is it because they think the stud might make a mistake and kill them both?

I think I just realized I'm an ASO in the making....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...I think I just realized I'm an ASO in the making....
Boy, are you ever. :) And you're overthinking this thing, I suspect.

Something you know well: a firearm, when laid on a table, is not dangerous ... pick it up and it's potentially dangerous ... point it in the "wrong" direction and pull the trigger -- it's dangerous.

But why give out Wings for something that't inherently dangerous ..??? 'Cause man's gotta' fly, bee's gotta' humm, birds gotta' sing ... that's why --- and so it's dangerous -- who cares? That's what you get paid for. It's a job and an adventure. :) Do your job and you'll be holding up your end of the bargain ...

Why do Instructors NOT CQ with their STUDs ... ??? The same reason Instructors do NOT "solo" with their STUDs .... do ya think ... hmmmmm ??? ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The way I look at it is, why does Naval Aviation label incidents as "mishaps" instead of "accidents"?

Decades ago, they were labeled as "accidents" and folded into an overall "accident rate per x hours" (per 10,000 flight hours and later cranked up to 100,000 hours). Then someone correctly observed that an "accident" implies no fault and recommended use of word "mishap" instead. Simple as that as powers that be spend a lot of time figuring out the cause(s) of each mishap.

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor

Let me rephrase, mishap rates are attributed to 20-25% mechanical failure, 75-80% human error. Single component mechanical failure that would not jeopardize flight safety is probably much higher, but the number I gave was broadcast at our last safety AOM.

A4's said:
...guns...

Good point. Ah....the good memories of the range officer flipping out over slides not being locked back.....oh wait, I was the RO :D

Again, I think it's as me and xmid said, it's all probably semantics. I'm just glad I can fly anything. Crashing because it's dangerous or because someone made a mistake is still a crash, and both ways can get you killed.

In my opinion, the wording of saying Naval Aviation is unforgiving of mistakes is a good way of getting people to perk up and realize that they may actually have a good bit more control of what they are doing. That's better than just saying f!ck it, this has a good chance of killing me because of the danger level. I heard a statistic once (can't remember where) that pilots have a higher fatality rate than other warfare specialties, even special warfare (that's for the Navy). Me, I much prefer to be in control of my odds of survival than just leaving it up to random chance.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let me rephrase, mishap rates are attributed to 20-25% mechanical failure, 75-80% human error.

And just for the record, 90% of would-be computer accidents are corrected by human intervention. Source: Dr (and reserve LT) Wiegmann, back in 2001.