• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WSJ Journalist lands on Carrier...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I wanna watch the Chinese Carquals.......
Probably gonna' look a lot like this .... at least there's always hope .... :)

chinesecqsn1.jpg

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rear Adm. Bill Gortney said:
We don't think of this as a dangerous business. It's just a terribly unforgiving one.
Naval aviation isn't dangerous?

Brett Stephens said:
The pilots are low-key and self-effacing. The women in their lives, so to speak, are often their fellow pilots...
It's not gay if it's underway.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Naval aviation isn't dangerous?

That's what I've always been told, it's not that it's dangerous per-se, just unforgiving of mistakes.

Best example I can give is with reductions gears from the main turbine on a boat. Granted, it'd be almost impossible for a wrench to get left in there, but say one did, the reductions gears break and the ship coasts to a stop.

However, leave a wrench (or even a nut) in the freewheeling unit of a helo and it's now a big, expensive lawn dart.

Both are mistakes, but in the former, no one dies, just maybe loses a job, the latter there's gonna be several funerals, since it's less "forgiving" of making said mistake.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
That's what I've always been told, it's not that it's dangerous per-se, just unforgiving of mistakes.

Isn't that sort of the definition of dangerous? Kind of like saying base jumping isn't dangerous, its just very unforgiving of mistakes...

"If at first you don't succeed, base jumping isn't for you..."

Best example I can give is with reductions gears from the main turbine on a boat. Granted, it'd be almost impossible for a wrench to get left in there, but say one did, the reductions gears break and the ship coasts to a stop.

However, leave a wrench (or even a nut) in the freewheeling unit of a helo and it's now a big, expensive lawn dart.

Both are mistakes, but in the former, no one dies, just maybe loses a job, the latter there's gonna be several funerals, since it's less "forgiving" of making said mistake.

Wouldn't that make riding in a helo more dangerous than riding on a ship?

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
Isn't that sort of the definition of dangerous? Kind of like saying base jumping isn't dangerous, its just very unforgiving of mistakes...

I'd argue that BASE jumping is quite safe done properly.

Wouldn't that make riding in a helo more dangerous than riding on a ship?

Not the way I interpreted it. We may be splitting hairs on this, but my take is hey, I can ride in a helicopter all day long and be safe and sound. The mere act of riding in a helo isn't unsafe. Make a mistake (leave that nut in the FWU) and your not gonna have much chance to rectify that.

Most mishaps in Naval Aviation are human error, but if most of the mishaps were due to our aircraft breaking, a.k.a. mechanical error, then I'd be one to say it's "dangerous". Just my $.02

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Most mishaps in Naval Aviation are human error, but if most of the mishaps were due to our aircraft breaking, a.k.a. mechanical error, then I'd be one to say it's "dangerous".
If there is a human error or mechanical breakage in a helo or any aircraft, the chances of someone getting hurt or killed are much higher than if it occured on a ship.

Human errors and mechanical breakage occurs all the time.

So yes, it is more dangerous.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... ....I'd be one to say it's "dangerous".
*sigh* ...... When will they ever learn ... when will they E-E-E-E-ver learn ... (with apologies to the Kingston Trio).

INSANE ---- You obviously didn't get this brief:

Iceman: You're everyone's problem. That's because every time you go up in the air, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous.

Maverick: That's right! Ice... man. I am dangerous.

topgunaw5.jpg

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
*sigh* ...... When will they ever learn ... when will they E-E-E-E-ver learn ... (with apologies to the Kingston Trio).

INSANE ---- You obviously didn't get this brief....

Haha, good point.

I suppose there is a reason people called "insane" when I used to race downhill on mtn bikes. :D