• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wow!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
As cool as "guns" were, the weps pattern had me puckering more! Seems like the studs were screwing it up more...and I flew with the same group of people for both. Maybe when I was in guns my SA was so low that I didn't realize how close I was coming to augering in.

airwinger

pilot
Jboomer, plus going into the clouds at El Centro doing the 30degree pattern has this wierd way of making your S.A vanish, maybe it's just coz I'm a horrible pilot, a better pilot would make it the T-45C(AW) bomber

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
airwinger said:
.......El Centro doing the 30degree pattern .....

Is that what is taught, now? 30 degrees? Or was that just a "low" pattern because of the clag mentioned in your post? Do you guys still strafe and rocket --- or just Mk76's ... ?

mk76_practice_bomb.jpg
untitled1yl.png

:)icon_mi_1 do you like my watch, sailor-man ??? :icon_mi_1 )

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
30 20 and 10 degree patterns are what they teach now. Although on most flights you only see 30 and 10. Blue death only.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
jboomer said:
30 20 and 10 degree patterns are what they teach now. Although on most flights you only see 30 and 10. Blue death only.

*Sigh* Amazing ... 45 degree dives used to be the standard. 60 degrees when you were scared and roaring down the chute with a bad attitude and max - Mk82's under the wing -- good hits, though. That's the nice thing about "real" iron bombs --- they go where you have the pipper -- unlike the Mk76's. Not as "wind" effected. 'Course, you boys can say the same thing about PGM's -- wish we had 'em, back then.

Even so, I did achieve (once) a "Bull's-Eye" CEP, iron sight (what else?) with 6 x Mk76's @ the target in Texas -- west of NAS Chase, can't remember the designation --- I think the guys from Kingsville used it also. Do you only do Weps Dets @ El Centro in the TRACOM nowdays ???

:)) smiles = good hits)

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Do you only do Weps Dets @ El Centro in the TRACOM nowdays ???

I want to say they go to Salina, KS occassionally too, but don't hold me to it. Someone had a 15 CEP the other day, not too shabby.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Singer6 said:
Dixie or Yankee. They still use it. We do the 45 degree pattern in the hornet too.

O.K. ... roger that, now the old man's mem's are coming back. Yankee for Chase --- Dixie for K-Ville .... sometimes we shared when the ranges were down for maint, range fires, what have you.

Yankee was right-hand racetrack pattern -- can't remember pattern altitude .... and Dixie ???

Chase_TX_gate.jpg
Chase_TX_tower.jpg
small_Img_8482.jpg

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Mefesto said:
With or without CCIP?

On the last flight you can drop CCIP if you've earned an "E" up to that point in that flight, but bombs dropped CCIP don't count toward an "E".

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Mefesto said:
With or without CCIP?

jboomer said:
On the last flight you can drop CCIP ....

O.K. I give up. Did a Google on "CCIP" and all I get back is some stuff in French and "Continuously Computed Impact Point" . Sooooo ..... what is it? Sounds like some kind of HUD/computer generated spot where the bombs are suppose to go on the ground? Or an IP point for when to pickle?? Give me the 25 words or less version --- I don't build 'em -- just fly 'em. I doubt that it's classified -- we are talking the Goshawk, right?

Computer bombing in the TRACOM?? Have you guys no shame .... ???

(have you enough smiles ?? :) :) = good hits)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
yep, the goshawk has a RUDIMENTARY CCIP system... rudimentary meaning that no one I've talked to has any idea how it actually calculates the impact point b/c the plane doesn't really "know where it is in the bombing triangle." to give you an idea of how 'good' the CCIP is in the A model... the last bombing hop is done on it (all others with the sight) and that was by far my worst CEP. even when it drops 250 long, and you correct by aiming 300 short, it still dropped 200 long. I've heard the Charlie is a tighter system b/c of the INS/GPS, but I have no firsthand experience with it.

From what the IPs tell us, pretty much all the dumb bombing in the fleet is CCIP/CCRP these days, but those systems actually work.

/more than 25 words

for a visual, here -
snap42.gif

some screencap off a game.... essentially, the line is the fall of the bomb and the dot/cross is where the bomb will impact if released at that moment. no idea what game thats off of or what plane it's supposed to represent (or why the idiot has his gear down on a bombing run at only 16 degrees)... very generic

Status
Not open for further replies.