• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Would like help in writing a short story about Naval Aviators.

ZekeBathory

Doe-eyed Hopeful
Gentlemen,

This is much more helpful material than I could have thought to ask for. Yes, even the picture of Falkor and Dragon Wars -- they're there to remind me to filter out as much hokiness as possible.

I've read books like "Bogeys and Bandits" and, as I said, served for four years as an enlisted Marine, but I wanted your input as officers and aviators and I've got to thank you for all the thought you've put into it so far. This will seriously cut down on the fruitless Googling I would probably put myself through. Not to mention, I won't be one of those hack writers polluting the general public's already mutated perception of combat pilots.

Thanks a million, guys! If you have anything else to add or suggest, I'll still be checking in.

-ZB

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reading Scoob's post, I see much of this story playing out in mundane squadron affairs. You'll have to make the politics engaging. I'm thinking along the lines of the "King's Blades" series by Dave Duncan or the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Yes, there's action involved, cool jets, and scaly monsters, but the politics and the people are what make it worthwhile . . .

And there it is; out with it. I'M A HUGE NERD, I KNOW ALREADY!

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I seem to recall most of the "action" of Punk's War revolving around personality clashes, ready room drama, shitty skippers, and a lot of mundane stuff as well. Not a whole lot of seat of your pants flying scenes.....unless you count the part where the jet runs out of gas and crashes short of the runway in the desert. Good read though.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If this is made into a movie, dibbs on the starring role.

You want to play a dragon???

dragon.gif

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
1st: WTF did this thread turn into?? :eek:

2nd: Puff the Magic Dragon was about a kid smoking weed.