• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worth Wild?

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
At least get far enough away that you can go home over a three day weekend, but the parents can't swing by when you throw a huge kegger!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
breastfeeding05.jpg

Enough said.
How pleasant.

USN99

USN99
None
Spot's got it right

At least get far enough away that you can go home over a three day weekend, but the parents can't swing by when you throw a huge kegger!

I went out of state to get away from the home front after high school. But now that I have a college graduate off-spring, I would say Spot's formula is highly reasonable. :icon_smil The logistical conveniences of a one-day car ride from home are pretty solid. There's just enough geography to allow both sides to take a well deserved break from each other - parents and off-spring. :eek:

But frankly, go to the college that has the degree program or NROTC unit that you are interested in first, make some geographical ajustments to come in accord with Spot's Formula, second, and go for it.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Many of my collegues here are from Houston and Dallas, far enough to avoid their parents every weekend but close enough to see them once or twice a month.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a toss up decision. You're going to live all over the place in the Navy, so if you want to stay in-state for college, it's not a big deal. I stayed in-state (mostly because I didn't have the money to visit colleges around the country). That being said, DON'T live at home during college. What a waste.

Personal philosophy:

People need to leave their hometowns. The worst thing a person can do in America is never branch out and live elsewhere. You can always re-settle in your hometown if you want to return.

JMMH

Ugh.
I agree with Spot- I went about 3 1/2 hours away and out-of-state for the exact reason. I was close enough to go home if I needed, but there wouldn't be a surprise pop-in from my parents.
Also, I went to a college with only 1 other person from my high school class. I was forced to branch out and make new friends with people from all over the country- rather than hang out with the same people from high school/ hometown.
And... this applies to the variety of girls as well. There's more than Mary Jane from 3rd grade. (No offense to Mary Jane, of course.)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well I live in Georgia and I have a accepted letter for Arizona State and University of Arizona as well as a few in California and I just didn't really how it would be having to fly home for all holidays and then the first drive out there.

And you want to go into the military? Better get used to it and missing holidays and major events as well. You're not the first to face this situation. Tens of thousands of students do it.

MasterBates

Cut the fucking cord people!!!

Jesus! The "I miss my mommy" shit starts before you even go to college? What the hell is with you people? You are about to become an adult. It is best to get your head around that, and soon.

I love my parents, but when I was 16 I was ready to move the hell out. So I went to college 14 hours away. You do realize that the USN/USMC WILL send you to the far corners of the earth for long periods of time?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cut the fucking cord people!!!

Jesus! The "I miss my mommy" shit starts before you even go to college? What the hell is with you people? You are about to become an adult. It is best to get your head around that, and soon.

I love my parents, but when I was 16 I was ready to move the hell out. So I went to college 14 hours away. You do realize that the USN/USMC WILL send you to the far corners of the earth for long periods of time?

But how will they eat? How will the laundry get done? Who will pat them on the head and reassure them that everything is going to be alright?

Brett

MasterBates

I swear, this country is turning into a bunch of panty-waste touchy-feely emo metro(homo?)sexals..

I thought I would be at least 65 and a grumpy old man before I said that in all seriousness.. Which I just did.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Coming from a guy who was raised knowing that I couldn't apply in-state...Going from Maryland (suburbian DC) to Georgia Tech was a godsend. As Steve/heyjoe said before...if you are hesitant on breakin' off the breast now...do you want the first time to be playing in the Sand Box 8 time zones ahead of GA?

Also, join a fraternity while your at it. And have sex with lots of women:

alan-arkin.jpg