• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worst Pre-TBS civilian jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fongabonga

pilot
Ok, since misery loves company, I'm just wondering what other crappy jobs you've guys had during the wait for TBS. I was commissioned late in May and don't report until Oct, current occupation: Transportation Security Administration... in other words, I check bags and passengers at the airport. The worst part is definately the uniform and explaining why a 2ndLT of Marines is there waving a metal detector around. What about you guys?? Tell me I'm not alone =(

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I worked groundscrew at a golf course, good job all in all but 6 bucks an hour sucked. Thouhgt I was going to TBS in Nov got moved to Sept so I had to shave off the gotee (rebelion after military school) really quickly and try to even out the tan on my face before reporting. Seriously though take some time and enjoy yourself before you go.

Nikki

Air Force...hahaha...oh before that?? Telemarketing and belly dancing..there's a visual! At&t would like to offer....(sound of bells shaking in the distance).

Taxman2A

War were declared.
I delivered pizza for papa johns as an Officer of Marines. Out-****ing-standing.
That's what I get for being honest about leaving for TBS in 4 months at about 3 different job interviews.

To be honest I had a great time with my pizza delivery job anyways. Definetely the second best job I ever had.

Killer2

TRONS!
None
All these wonderful stories, I guess that is why I am trying to graduate in DEC so I can minimize my wait time. Anybody out there worked at there OSO's office, also do you start getting paid then or you just a civilian still.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Killer2 said:
All these wonderful stories, I guess that is why I am trying to graduate in DEC so I can minimize my wait time. Anybody out there worked at there OSO's office, also do you start getting paid then or you just a civilian still.

I tried to work at my OSO's office. You get paid like a regular Lt doing this job, and it also counts as time off your active duty obligation (if you are a ground contract, if you are air, then it doesn't unless you are already winged). The reason why it's tough to get an OSO office job is that the money to pay your salary comes out of the OSO's annual fiscal allotment. If the office doesn't have the leftover funds, they can't hire you.

Dustball

2nd LT
I dig irrigation trenches and pound concrete off trucks with a sledge hammer. I just keep thinking "only three more months". As for explaining to people why a Marine officer is doing such crappy work, I tell them I'm a super secret Marine commando learning the deadly art of the sledge hammer.

KBayDog

Dustball said:
I dig irrigation trenches and pound concrete off trucks with a sledge hammer. I just keep thinking "only three more months".

Sounds like Mike Company :icon_tong

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I worked on a 35,000 acre ranch, working cattle, welding, and predator/hog control. It only paid $50 a day, but I got to hunt all I wanted (plus it was part of my job) fed me all I wanted, gased my pickup, and gave me a steer to slaughter every year. So that $50 a day wasn't too bad, especially since my wife and I ate on a steer for 10-12 months.

Ok Ok, it's wasn't a bad job, just thought I'd share it.

orthaj

I was a pizza guy too. word of advice for the dec grad, graduating early doesn't get you to tbs any earlier, not in my case or anybody else's case that i heard of while i was there.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I too delivered pizzas for Papa Johns. I quit my job because I was told I would be reporting to TBS in August. Well, the weekend before I moved (just as my wife and I finished packing) my OSO called and said I would be reporting in November. Ooops. Got to keep the house, but lost the job. Probably the second best job I've had (not including flying). If I had known how much money I would be making and how little I would have had to work, I would have been delivering pizzas since highschool!

Killer2

TRONS!
None
3231 said:
I was a pizza guy too. word of advice for the dec grad, graduating early doesn't get you to tbs any earlier, not in my case or anybody else's case that i heard of while i was there.
Thanks for the heads up on the grad date info. I will just enjoy that last year here then and find one of those cool jobs like all you guys had.

thumper

If you guys have a summer off, I would recommend wildland firefighting. I did that during college and it keeps you in pretty good shape, pays good, and keeps you outside in some beautiful country (well, in Alaska, anyway).

Just my .01334 cents (adjusted for inflation).

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
thumper said:
If you guys have a summer off, I would recommend wildland firefighting. I did that during college and it keeps you in pretty good shape, pays good, and keeps you outside in some beautiful country (well, in Alaska, anyway).

I second that, all through college I was part of the Volunteer Fire/Rescue Dept of our little town (pop of <800). We have the 5th largest County in Tx, that contain some of the only Mtns in Tx, yes thats right, Mtns in Tx. In other words, a lot of land. I had a blast with the wildland firefighting, and yes it is physically demanding. We had several duece-and-a-halfs and five-tons (with tanks and pumps on them of course) and when we couldn't drive them any further, we got out and walked with bladder packs. I had a blast, made some great friends and learned a ton of stuff. They sent me to 2 different schools.
The only part about the deal I didn't like is working the wrecks (jaws of life, car fires) my worse fear was coming up on a wreck with kids in it. Luckily I never had to do that, worked plenty of wrecks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.