• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worst parts of Naval Aviation

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep. To add to this, most of those other professions don't give you nearly as much paid leave as the military does - but don't expect to use it all.
No, but I don't have to use my "leave" if I take vacations over weekends and holidays either. I can take a 10 day vacation over two weekends (one being a 3 day) and only burn 5 days of vacation time.

Renegade One

None
Non-Flying Staff tours:
Trying to imagine the groans and moans were this to be a part of today's "compulsory training".

I did note one instance of unreported "unwelcome physical contact" early-on on the part of Miss Dimple. I'm shocked…shocked to find out…"

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
These are moot. They both apply to the civilian world too for any career oriented profession

This to anyone looking to break the $40k-50k/year blue-collar union worker barrier or entry-level cubicle warrior.

No, but I don't have to use my "leave" if I take vacations over weekends and holidays either. I can take a 10 day vacation over two weekends (one being a 3 day) and only burn 5 days of vacation time.
This was one of the 'what they don't tell you...' things when joining the military. I understand why it is the way it is, but it's frustrating having to burn 10 days of leave to get off from Fri afternoon to the following Mon where civilians would use 5 days of vacation. 'Then there are a lot of times where you can't even use leave. It kind of takes the whole 'whoa 30 days vacation a year that's a lot!' perk in perspective. You want a weekend off where no one is going to call you? Want to travel farther than a few hours from your PDS? Use 2-3 days of leave.

What's even more frustrating is having to burn leave during PCS moves partly because you need the time to get organized and partly because you've saved up so many days that this is your only time to use it. Your life is generally in too much disarray to use that time for a legitimate vacation outside of sight-seeing in a x-country drive. Instead, you use it to clean and reorganize your new home/apt, set up cable, harass the landlord about fixing the broken appliances, etc.

On the upside, we were lucky enough to be inport during the holidays where everyone goes on stand-down, which means you get to take a week of leave around Christmas or New Year's. When I was a civilian I always worked on Christmas, albeit for double-time and a half.

CAVU

just livin' the dream...
None
When talking about personal leave (not federal holiday leave), we really need to do a comparison of leave starting points and leave growth. Join the military and you start earning paid leave at a rate of 30 days per year and it remains flat. Corporate (blue and white collar) is different. Some companies provide few if any personal paid leave at first. Some start at 5-10 days and it takes 5-10 years to build up to 20 days per year which is roughly equivalent to the 30 seen on active duty. Someone entering in at the executive level can usually negotiate a higher personal leave starting point.

Now add Federal holidays to the discussion. For military it really depends on what the command's mission is and your job. Yes I missed a good number of federal holidays at certain periods of time. Some companies don't provide paid days for Federal holidays. Some companies do and some companies it's just another work day.

Sick leave. Never heard of anyone having to take personal leave in the military when they were sick. You were sent home SIQ which is absolutely the right thing to do. Corporate. Some companies have sick leave ,some do not, some provide you a higher initial leave starting point.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Sick leave. Never heard of anyone having to take personal leave in the military when they were sick. You were sent home SIQ which is absolutely the right thing to do. Corporate. Some companies have sick leave ,some do not, some provide you a higher initial leave starting point.
In corporate, if you wake up with a 102 deg fever or were up all night puking your brains out, you call in and use a sick day and get back in bed. It may or may not be a paid day (usually paid if full-time, not if part time/retail). In the military, you drag your butt to medical at 0600 to sit there for 1-3 hours until a HM3 signs off on you being SIQ and hands you a container of 800mg Ibuprofen (or on sea duty you just go to work until your DH/XO feels bad enough to send you home).

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Every job in life has good and bad. Two years ago, I was on a cross country with a student in the T-45C Goshawk and we stopped for fuel at an FBO. It was Friday and very busy this day, lots of civilian aircraft and crew lounging, sitting around. There were probably 15 civilian pilots wearing their black pants, white shirt, epaulets, etc. So it was time to walk and as we suited up, a civilian jet...Gulfstream I think, landed and a family exited the aircraft, walked inside. By this time, we had our gear on and as the family had walked in, there was a very, very attractive girl who looked in her early 20's...maybe the daughter. Anyway, she is eyeballing the student like you read about, I saw here give him the "look", a hard long stare actually.

So as we walked out to the clown jet, I asked the student if he noticed the girl staring at him. He said he did, he was surprised as she was way hot. I told him it's easy to understand. You see I told him, she was looking at you because you had the flight gear on, you were the military pilot, you looked the part of a jet pilot while all the civilian pilots wore cheesy uniforms. Because of that, she was looking at you, wanted you because you had a COCK and they all had pee-pee's :)

Being a Naval Aviator, regardless of what you fly, the good outweighs the bad. Next question?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.......In the military, you drag your butt to medical at 0600 to sit there for 1-3 hours until a HM3 signs off on you being SIQ and hands you a container of 800mg Ibuprofen (or on sea duty you just go to work until your DH/XO feels bad enough to send you home).

Yeah, not so much in aviation squadrons. If I was sick I called in and followed up with the doc later, as long as it wasn't abused this was the standard in all my squadrons.

As for the OP, this has been posted numerous times here on AW but I figure it it wouldn't hurt to do it again for this thread:

Your goal of becoming a fighter pilot is impressive and a fine way to serve your country. As you requested, I'd be happy to share some insight into which service would be the best choice. Each service has a distinctly different culture. You need to ask yourself "Which one am I more likely to thrive in?"

USAF Snapshot: The USAF is exceptionally well organized and well run. Their training programs are terrific. All pilots are groomed to meet high standards for knowledge and professionalism. Their aircraft are top-notch and extremely well maintained. Their facilities are excellent. Their enlisted personnel are the brightest and the best trained. The USAF is homogenous and macro. No matter where you go, you'll know what to expect, what is expected of you, and you'll be given the training & tools you need to meet those expectations. You will never be put in a situation over your head. Over a 20-year career, you will be home for most important family events. Your Mom would want you to be an Air Force pilot...so would your wife. Your Dad would want your sister to marry one.

Navy Snapshot: Aviators are part of the Navy, but so are Black Shoes (surface warfare) and Bubble Heads (submariners). Furthermore, the Navy is split into two distinctly different Fleets (West and East Coast). The Navy is heterogeneous and micro. Your squadron is your home; it may be great, average, or awful. A squadron can go from one extreme to the other before you know it. You will spend months preparing for cruise and months on cruise. The quality of the aircraft varies directly with the availability of parts. Senior Navy enlisted are salt of the earth; you'll be proud if you earn their respect. Junior enlisted vary from terrific to the troubled kid the judge made join the service. You will be given the opportunity to lead these people during your career; you will be humbled and get your hands dirty. The quality of your training will vary and sometimes you will be over your head. You will miss many important family events. There will be long stretches of tedious duty aboard ship. You will fly in very bad weather and/or at night and you will be scared many times. You will fly with legends in the Navy and they will kick your ass until you become a lethal force. And some days - when the scheduling Gods have smiled upon you - your jet will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it. The hottest girl in the bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator. That bar is in Singapore.

Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask...pack warm & good luck in Colorado.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Yep, this....

Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask...pack warm & good luck in Colorado.

Every job in life has good and bad. Two years ago, I was on a cross country with a student in the T-45C Goshawk and we stopped for fuel at an FBO. It was Friday and very busy this day, lots of civilian aircraft and crew lounging, sitting around. There were probably 15 civilian pilots wearing their black pants, white shirt, epaulets, etc. So it was time to walk and as we suited up, a civilian jet...Gulfstream I think, landed and a family exited the aircraft, walked inside. By this time, we had our gear on and as the family had walked in, there was a very, very attractive girl who looked in her early 20's...maybe the daughter. Anyway, she is eyeballing the student like you read about, I saw here give him the "look", a hard long stare actually.

So as we walked out to the clown jet, I asked the student if he noticed the girl staring at him. He said he did, he was surprised as she was way hot. I told him it's easy to understand. You see I told him, she was looking at you because you had the flight gear on, you were the military pilot, you looked the part of a jet pilot while all the civilian pilots wore cheesy uniforms. Because of that, she was looking at you, wanted you because you had a COCK and they all had pee-pee's :)

Being a Naval Aviator, regardless of what you fly, the good outweighs the bad. Next question?

Hot chick coming out of a Gulfstream eyeballing him? I hope he got her number.

jtmedli

pilot
As someone who is still 'young' in Naval Aviation:
-Good: Working with people who are some of the best on the planet.
-Bad: Working with people who have a terrible attitude and should probably be doing something else (from E-1s to O-whatever).

-Good: Flying a/c that are 10x more badass and powerful than your civilian counterparts will ever touch.
-Bad: Getting your ass kicked in said a/c day after day because you do 10x more of "that pilot shit" than your civilian counterparts ever will.

-Good: Getting your ass kicked in the a/c and becoming a better pilot.
-Bad: Getting your ass kicked is never fun.

-Good: Being a part of something that most people consider awesome in every sense of the word.
-Bad: Trying to explain to said people (who can't go a day without internet or air conditioning) what it's like.

-Good: Knowing you've undergone some of the best training to get those wings in the world and are still learning how to kill bad guys day in and day out.
-Bad: That training can be incredibly painful and eye-opening at times.

-Good: Girls at bars LOVE a Naval Aviator.​
-Bad: Choosing can be difficult at times.​
Naval Aviation can be painful at times. Dont ever let anyone tell you it's all roses and sunshine. It's not. BUT there will days when you get paid to fly a multi-million $ a/c and make it do things that most people don't even realize are possible.​