• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worried there is no job for me HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
Here's my question: Why do you want to be an Officer?

If you want to be one because you think a piece of paper will make you one, then no.

If you want to be one because you want to lead and take charge, then yes.

If you lack the confidence to even apply how will you deal with an overbearing chief? With your first classes taking over and deciding what they want to do instead of doing what you know needs to get done? with your 3rd classes refusing to listen to you when you tell them something because they know that you wont follow through and do anything to them (or worse, disrespect you because you cant handle anything and always have to run to your boss to handle things)?

Beyond the piece of paper what do you have to offer the Navy and that community? What are your goals? What is driving you to be an Officer? You really need to be able to answer these questions if you want a commission.

And yes, you can enlist with a OCS package pending or apply to OCS while in DEP. Not the preferred method in all cases, but if all you're looking for is a job then it's semi-desireable, and with year long waits to ship to boot a way to be ready in either case.

worldtraveler

Ha the coast guard never got back to me. I'm in pretty much a difficult situation though because I had jaw surgery so I needed to get paperwork from my doctors which took forever, I am still waiting on a statement from my doc saying everything is OK. I am going to talk to the officer recruiter on monday about the whole dual process. I was talking to this other girl who is in that program, and she is waiting to hear back to see if she made it in. I am doing dual process because waiting to hear if you made it in as an officer is a long wait and I am afraid that if I wait so long and don't hear anything that pushes back the time I can go in the military and everything. Overall I would be ok doing enlisted because I am very interested in cryptology. I was also interested in air traffic control, but I need 20/200 uncorrected(I have 20/400 uncorrected) so ya that cancels that one out haha. As far as all the officer jobs though they seem extremely technical and I was looking at the public speaking officer job but I see that it's a requirement to have a certain degree. I also heard that this year the navy did not hold all their boards for the officer positions. To answer your question EM1 yes I want to lead, I am a natural leader. In school I would always take the leadership role, not in a mean way, but in a supportive caring way. The recruiter was also telling me that if I was going for my masters or phd i could go into the medical field(since I have a degree in Psychology). But I am not looking to go back to school right now. And, I also don't understand why Psychology isn't considered a technical degree, because I had to take maths and sciences, many actually. But overall it is the big stress with all that is going on. I am married, but actually to the point of divorce and the recruiters told me not to get a divorce because then it will be pending and then i will have to wait to join!!! Also the thing with my jaw like I said is pretty stressful. As far as guarantee to OCS, I will talk to the officer recruiter tomorrow and figure everything out. I feel bad bugging him but at the same time this is my future and I need answers!

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I am doing dual process because waiting to hear if you made it in as an officer is a long wait and I am afraid that if I wait so long and don't hear anything that pushes back the time I can go in the military and everything.

Ok wow. I'm going to try to tackle this a few points at a time. First, sorry to hear about your divorce, that sucks, and I'm not married so I have no idea how you feel or how it might be affecting you. Definitely get your stuff together, as you don't need other gray clouds hanging over your head during this process. However, it might be what you need to get your mind off of it. I don't know, I'll let someone w/ experience in that area chime in there.

The first point about the waiting. Yes waiting sucks, but that is something you will deal with ALL THE TIME in the military. Just because you get in, doesn't mean that things start to magically turn and rotate perfectly to the beat of your life. I'm waiting on certain things related to my career as well right now, but I'm not worried about it. What's the point in that? My job, as far as I'm concerned right now, is to go and do the best I possibly can and try to attain perfection in my manuevers during IFS (Introductory Flight Screening). The Navy is paying me to study, know my stuff, and perform. The application process is somewhat stressful, if you let it be. From the time I started applying to the very day I went to OCS was a full year. I was unemployed, struggling basically the entire time, but I had a goal and my recruiter tried to help me as much as he could....even to the point of offering to lend me money for gas/food if I ever needed. My recruiter was awesome and I def. owe for his hard work because he got me to OCS. Going to boards and not hearing anything for weeks and waiting on pins and needles is all a part of it. Just go take a look at any of the "*insert month* 2010 Boards" threads. Waiting is a part of the game and we all went through it....some to more of an extent than others, but I guarantee that everyone probably has had to wait for the military or Navy to do something related to what they're doing. It's just a part of it man...you take it and deal with it as it comes. If age is a factor, then you have reason to be slightly concerned, but talk to your recruiter about that if it is.

As far as all the officer jobs though they seem extremely technical and I was looking at the public speaking officer job but I see that it's a requirement to have a certain degree
Can I make a suggestion here? Rather than going off your own assumption and assuming that EVERY officer designator is technical, why don't you try to be proactive and talk to your recruiter and try to find some Officers in the jobs you want and interview with them to get a real idea of what they do. It may surprise you. Also, I'm sure someone on here may be able to probably point you in the right direction as well or might know someone. But you've gotta be proactive about it and ask....don't just settle and take the easy way out of assuming that because it says "x, y, and z" that you absolutely need that.

To answer your question EM1 yes I want to lead, I am a natural leader. In school I would always take the leadership role, not in a mean way, but in a supportive caring way.
Disclaimer: I haven't been a DIVO (Division Officer) yet, so take this with a grain of salt. I'm only taking what I learned in my classes thus far. /Disclaimer

If you're a natural leader, why do you doubt yourself. Those two things I feel like can't really co-exist. Maybe they can and if so, then that's something I yet to learn to manage. Also being a Naval Officer (again in my 6+ mo experience so take this as you will), is a different type of leader in some regards. Being supportive and caring is fine, but its a fine line b/w that and trying to also make sure your division respects you and takes you seriously. Again, I'll leave this one to one of the older guys w/ more experience in this regard.

Also the thing with my jaw like I said is pretty stressful. As far as guarantee to OCS, I will talk to the officer recruiter tomorrow and figure everything out. I feel bad bugging him but at the same time this is my future and I need answers!
Good on you for trying to find out what you want. You're right it is your career but you can still be persistent and respectful/tactful w/o coming across in a bad way, which I'm sure you know how to do. I'm going to go back and comment on the confidence thing too along w/ the stress. OCS is not a fun place filled w/ rainbows and sunshine lollipops. You will be tested....repeatedly...and driven to your breaking point....repeatedly. Sometimes that confidence, that motivation, that goal is all you have to hold on to....make sure you search deep to find that and hold on to it. As EM1 said, make sure you're doing this (seeking a commission) for the right reasons.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
If you're a natural leader, why do you doubt yourself. Those two things I feel like can't really co-exist. Maybe they can and if so, then that's something I yet to learn to manage. Also being a Naval Officer (again in my 6+ mo experience so take this as you will), is a different type of leader in some regards. Being supportive and caring is fine, but its a fine line b/w that and trying to also make sure your division respects you and takes you seriously. Again, I'll leave this one to one of the older guys w/ more experience in this regard.
Agreed, especially the first line.

Also, there's a time and place for the supporting, caring leader and the in-your-face about to explode leader. Theres a balance involved. You scream too much and your guys ignore you, never stand up because you're trying to be nice and they'll walk all over you. Some people will shut you off the instant you yell, others wont respond unless you do. Being caring and supportive wont cut it when you have a chief in your face trying to blow you off because you're a lowly JO.

Not saying that's a skill that cant be developed, or that it cant be developed in a short time, but as an Officer you WILL HAVE TO stand up for yourself, be confident in what you do, and be a hard ass when the time is necessary.

PS. Sorry to hear about your impending divorce, that has to hard on you. What your enlisted recruiter was referring to regarding not divorcing is that they wont allow you to ship with legal proceedings pending (that's enlisted, not sure about shipping as an Officer, ask your OR). things have to be settled. If you have kids that makes the situation even more complex. Good luck.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am married, but actually to the point of divorce and the recruiters told me not to get a divorce because then it will be pending and then i will have to wait to join!!!

I suggest you look at the baggage a failed marriage will entail (calling our resident expert MB to weigh in) if you don't end it before you enter the service. Leaving that situation hanging in the air can really be stressful in the military anytime, but moreso in initial training pipeline when you need your full concentration on studies. Flight School is like having finals/orals EVERY DAY. It's not the only pipeline that requires your full attention and having someone outting you down constantly could be a huge liability. You might want to consider reserves until you can sort things out at home and finalize paperwork that isn't easy from afar.

Unlike civilian life, you can't leave your spouse/dependant behind and MB can share how his significant other made his life miserable for a seemingly eternity. Another consideration is the moment you go on active duty, your spouse is your dependent as far as medical benefits, ID card and base privileges, etc. and can get a share of your other benefits (ie pay based on how long you were together while you were on active duty). If this is who is putting you down all the time, you need the weigh the consequences of still having to deal with this person after you go on active duty if he should decide to demand his rights as a dependent (just to harass you if nothing else).

Finally, if you think he knows you are contemplating this course of action and are posting here, you might want to watch what you say. We can also pull this thread from the public eye if needed.

Lucy

Also, while it should not make as much as a difference as it does(referencing the "other girl" word choice), you will be in a group of men and expected to preform the "same". Which if you have ever been in that situation, means exceeding what is often passable for guys, whether physical or command ability. If you are having trouble confidence wise because of always being put down, it will be very difficult to get past the "teasing" you will get, whether you are male or female. You do not want to rush into your Navy career, or even your 4 years. As has been sugested take some time and get your head in the right place so that when things get tough you know you can make it.

Lucy

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Tell the enlisted recruiter to take a chill pill. If he gives you a hard time about it, tell him to call me. Regarding your qualifications, it sounds like you have a confidence problem. If this is the case, being a navy or marine corps officer may not be the best fit for you. The Coast Guard would probably be a much better option.
Well, our recruiters have orders to:
1. Never return phone calls of those with confidence problems, or
2. Send those with serious confidence issues across town to Navy recruiters...prime for being a black shoe, or reservist. ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
worldtraveler said:
So ... I am looking at the officer jobs ....
So ...

The Navy: it's not just 'the officer jobs' ... it's also an adventure.

Why is it so many people these days ... people who don't know what else to do/where else to go ... come looking to the U.S. military when times/jobs are tight in the civilian sector ... for 'the officer jobs' ... you know, people who don't know what else to do when all they find in civvie-street is 'no thank you' and 'sorry-- you're overqualified' ???

People who never considered a military CAREER prior?

And the rent is comin' due ... :eek:

This last ditch, desperation attempt to 'look at the officer jobs' (or is it really just to escape ones present situation??) does NOT bode well for a commitment to military service ... and it is not what the U.S. military is looking for in the Officer corps, either.

If you're just tryin' to 'escape' your lot in civvie-street ... why not try the Légion étrangère ... I hear they're 'hiring' ... ???

worldtraveler

Yes everyone going through a failed marriage is stressful beyond words because with paperwork if he does not sign the paperwork then you have to go to court and he can demand money, etc. And in New York State everything is split 50/50 so he could get my money. And, if he knows I am becoming an officer he WILL get a portion of my money. He is in the army(enlisted) but he's getting out in about a year, and right now I am getting 700 a month from him because I am entitled to it, so he might try to get that money from officer. So right now, I am starting to think that the officer program is too much to have on my plate right now with everything going on. I am thinking I may just go in enlisted get the divorce and everything and then really figure out what I want if I want to go officer or stay enlisted. Is there that option, like once you sign up enlisted and decide that you want to become an officer is that an option or no? I'm just confused because I know you have 4 year contract and everything. And yes he is part of the reason I am/was insecure, he was physically abusive but now I am much stronger. I don't know if I want to be an officer I feel confused, I am mixed. The officer recruiter already wants me to choose my jobs and he has not given me a description of the jobs only the requirements and I feel like that is not fair! And I know it sounds weird that I'm a leader but insecure but it's not weird. Actually, I like to be a leader, as far as schooling, but as far as the military I have no idea..I am thinking I would be better off in the enlisted route. I want to do cryptology or atc so bad

Oh and to Hercdriver, actually the recruiter is very kind to me and does return my phone calls, so guess I don't have confidence issues! And, I would not label myself "serious" confidence issues. It's quite funny that someone who doesn't even know me is judging me. And, to A4sforever, if you actually read all the posts I made you will see that I want to join the protect and serve my country, not just to do something because it's a job. Actually I have my teaching degree and could be teaching right now, but I actually want to fight for my country enlisted or officer. I am very humble in that aspect. And, I would not call myself insecure at all, I just have my doubts because I do not know what officer programs entail, but I think right now before I make a decision I will take my time and look into enlisted first.

Oh and to hercdriver, I filled out a dinky little message online to the coast guard, it was nothing they could get "confidence" issues from. And it was for enlisted I believe. But, I don't really care, I'm going navy not coast guard:)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
worldtraveler said:
.... And, to A4sforever, if you actually read all the posts I made you will see that I want to join the protect and serve my country, not just to do something because it's a job...
I read all the posts -- but sorry -- I'm not buyin' what you're sellin' ... the military doesn't need 'projects'.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
This is more touchy-feely than my normal advice, but here are my thoughts for you:
1) don't worry about coming back and defending your post. Some of the things you posted are a little out there, so I would take a step back for the time being.

2) research all the jobs you want to do in the military thoroughly, and if possible, talk to officers or enlisted people with those actual jobs so you can see if they line up with your abilities. This board is a good place to do that, as long as you arm yourself with background info and ask informed questions. Don't just pick something that sounds cool.

3) if you are currently going through a bad divorce, including physical abuse, I would absolutely recommend NOT joining the military until you are in an OK place legally and emotionally. Staying married to your abusive spouse just so you can ship to boot camp faster is not the answer. Life, particularly in the military, is not going to stop or slow down for you to catch up once you put yourself on this path.

If this is hard to deal with now, how will you cope when you are at boot camp or OCS, out to sea, being sent to Japan, etc?

Pretty much anything you do in the military will be demanding and exhausting at times, plus you will be moving a lot, diminishing both your emotional and legal resources. You will fail at whatever it is you pick if you don't take the time to deal with this now.

I see people every day in the Navy wrestling with child custody issues, divorces, legal suits, husband/wife problems, and I can't imagine joining the Navy with all of those issues right out the gate. Don't think that being on sea duty, having a physically demanding and potentially deadly round-the-clock job, or living in a small isolated town far from family helps any of those problems at all.

As expensive as it may be, and as condescending as this might sound, I mean it honestly - beg and borrow the money to get a good lawyer and a therapist before you consider joining any branch of the military. Until then, please understand that the Navy is not where you need to be, for your sake and the Navy's sake.

worldtraveler

A4sforever, you are totally not even getting a response for that one, judging someone you don't even know is quite humorous to me. Hercdriver I appreciate your private message you just sent me. As for everyone else, I've had enough of this post and I am now officially done posting on here. I ask for advice, and yes some people give me advice and actually answer my questions. But overall, only I can figure out if I want to be an officer or enlisted. Thank you to those who actually gave great advice I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.