• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worried there is no job for me HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

worldtraveler

So I am looking at the officer jobs, and the officer recruiter sent me an application asking me to put down my three choices but I don't know what I want to do. Here's the thing, my degree is in Psychology and most of the jobs say Math or Science degrees preferred. Do I even stand a chance? Not to mention I suck at both math and science:( I can do the artithmetic and general science but I am no physics calc. whiz. I have a degree in Psychology can you all please tell me what navy officer jobs would be right for me?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So I am looking at the officer jobs, and the officer recruiter sent me an application asking me to put down my three choices but I don't know what I want to do. Here's the thing, my degree is in Psychology and most of the jobs say Math or Science degrees preferred. Do I even stand a chance? Not to mention I suck at both math and science:( I can do the artithmetic and general science but I am no physics calc. whiz. I have a degree in Psychology can you all please tell me what navy officer jobs would be right for me?

1 "Preferred" does not mean required so stop worrying about aligning a warfare specialty or accession program to your degree unless you want to be a Psychologist (Navy has both Clinical and Laboratory Psychologists)

2 Nobody can possibly tell you what is right for you and if you can't decide based on your desire/motivation to serve as an officer in a variety of options, your package will likely be surpassed by those who want to fly or serve in any of the choices. This will come out in your interview or motivational statement.

3 Take advantage of this forum and see if any of the threads on various communities interest you and then dig into the ones that do. If you're just in search of a job like the title indicates, you've set yourself for wasting your time as those who really want to serve will blow right by you. It's a seller's market right now so they can afford to be highly selective.

worldtraveler

well..W

Well I have done researching and looked at all the jobs. Looking at the jobs honestly, even though it says preferred I am pretty sure they will choose someone with the preferred degree over me. I am not choosing "any" job. I was very interested in the cryptology and intelligence but looking at the "preferred" it sounds like I may not be qualified. Even if I have a strong packet I am sure they will pick someone who has that degree they "prefer."

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well I have done researching and looked at all the jobs. Looking at the jobs honestly, even though it says preferred I am pretty sure they will choose someone with the preferred degree over me. I am not choosing "any" job. I was very interested in the cryptology and intelligence but looking at the "preferred" it sounds like I may not be qualified. Even if I have a strong packet I am sure they will pick someone who has that degree they "prefer."

Read the threads related to Cryptology and Intelligence and see what people's packages look like before you draw conclusions like that. In all communities, they look for whole person package so you may have test scores or other attributes that trump or offset a science degree (ie obscure language proficiency).

jtmedli

pilot

Are you even sure that you're looking into the right branch? If nothing 'Navy' interests you then maybe you should look into the Marine Corps/Army/Air Force for jobs that are more interesting to you. They are all different and have varying MOS's for officers. See what else is out there and if there's something you could really get into.

worldtraveler

hi

Thank you heyjoe. I was getting worried because I was looking at the requirements the officer recruiter sent me plus someone i was talking to told me I had a 0 shot with a nontechnical degree(psychology). I feel a bit better now but know that I must do extremely well on the astb. If not, I am ok just doing enlisted. My enlisted recruiter is trying to get me to do Dual Process where I go in enlisted then become an officer.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thank you heyjoe. I was getting worried because I was looking at the requirements the officer recruiter sent me plus someone i was talking to told me I had a 0 shot with a nontechnical degree(psychology). I feel a bit better now but know that I must do extremely well on the astb. If not, I am ok just doing enlisted. My enlisted recruiter is trying to get me to do Dual Process where I go in enlisted then become an officer.

We have a slew of Info Dominance Officers on Air Warriors including the detailer so why not post on those boards and chat directly with them? You might even want to consider the SWO route with guaranteed transition to a specialty.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

If you have a degree, apply any that you are interested in. Your major should not matter that much. They look at your total package. DO NOT enlist right off the bat if your goal is to become an officer and you already have your degree. The road to become an officer is no easier, or quicker, applying to OCS from the enlisted ranks.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor

Agreeing and echoing what everyone else has told you thus far. I'm going to take a different route. Obviously you came to this forum because you wanted advice and you have SOME interest in being a Naval Officer. For some reason, since you don't have a technical degree or one that is "preferred", you are automatically doubting yourself and having this "I won't get picked, someone will get picked over me" attitude bs. I believe someone did say it earlier, but how do you expect a board to have confidence in you and your package, when you don't even have confidence in yourself. Not saying you are, but it sounds like you are trying to throw yourself a pity party and waiting for that "oh it will be okay, don't worry about it" pat on the behind feeling.

No one knows their chances against the boards, even those whom you feel have the "preferred" degrees and would get picked over you. I'm flying down here in Pensacola in IFS with another Officer who has an Art History background. Do you think he looks at his plane before his preflight or while chair flying his manuevers goes, "Man, I wish I had an aviation, aerospace, *insert random flying degree here* etc, degree." No he doesn't and no one else cares what his degree is in....all his instructors care about is if he is ready for his flight and how he flies. I know someone said the board looks at the WHOLE package or whole person concept, and they're absolutely right. Your degree is only a small part, so stop getting all flustered over it. If you feel like you wanna make up your package because your degree isn't that strong, then have some more leadership, extracurricular, volunteer stuff in there.

No one knows how the board chooses people and the people they choose each time always seems like a surprise to those applicants in the pool. The ones that thought they had it made and were shoe-ins, aren't the ones that got picked and vice versa. Not the case everytime, but you get the picture. If this is something you really want, then go after it. If you walk in there with a defeated attitude everytime and in interviews, like the line I bolded, then no you will find yourself on the outside looking in everytime. Your attitude you take in regards to your application and this process can do wonders for you down the road. If you show them how badly you want it, it will come across that way and you may find yourself getting selected over the "preferred."

worldtraveler

thank you

Thank you so much everyone who had input whether positive or negative haha. I am going to apply for it and do the enlisted as a backup because I know that no matter what happens I want to be in the military(navy). Redfive I appreciate your input and really do need to work on my confidence. It is because of being put down all the time that I must work on that. As far as pity plea, no I do not expect that, I just expect everyone to be honest with me. I am a realist and a planner, and not knowing what will happen scares me, so at least doing the dual process I will be ok. Aside from that I need to get great references. The officer recruiter told me to use congressmen and assemblymen but they don't call me back or anything. Who are the references you all used? And Heyjoe, excuse my ignorance but what is SWO?:( Sorry I am new at all these terms:/

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
SWO is Surface Warfare Officer = The officers who operate and navigate the ships.

I don't know how much you really understand about what it means to enlist, but I wouldn't consider that to be a backup plan. It's great for a lot of people and we have a lot of fine sailors in the Navy, but it's fundamentally different than being an officer. What rate (enlisted job) interests you the most? Tell us and I'm sure somebody here can tell you all about it.

OCS will definitely boost your confidence levels if you make it through -- I know when I went through, we all felt like a million bucks at the end. That said, it's not going to change who you are. You need to work on your confidence. A large part of your job will be taking care of your troops and I would say it's the toughest part. If I was an 18 year old seaman, I would want to think that my officer knows what the hell he's doing -- whether it's true or not.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tell the enlisted recruiter to take a chill pill. If he gives you a hard time about it, tell him to call me. Regarding your qualifications, it sounds like you have a confidence problem. If this is the case, being a navy or marine corps officer may not be the best fit for you. The Coast Guard would probably be a much better option.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Tell the enlisted recruiter to take a chill pill. If he gives you a hard time about it, tell him to call me. Regarding your qualifications, it sounds like you have a confidence problem. If this is the case, being a navy or marine corps officer may not be the best fit for you. The Coast Guard would probably be a much better option.

So there is an official name, "Dual Process"? Does the recruiter guarantee that enlisting will lead to OCS? First off, you shouldn't even be talking to an Enlisted Recruiter is you want a commission. Kinda like going to used car lot when you really want a new car. That salesman (and recruiters have quotas to meet) will not willingly let to go to the other lot if he thinks he can get you to buy his product.

Redfive I appreciate your input and really do need to work on my confidence. It is because of being put down all the time that I must work on that. As far as pity plea, no I do not expect that, I just expect everyone to be honest with me. I am a realist and a planner, and not knowing what will happen scares me, so at least doing the dual process I will be ok.

If you will be happy serving as an enlisted member of the Navy, then you will be OK as you state above, but if you want to go to OCS, then you may not be as there are NO guarantees of that. If confidence is an issue and people do put you down all the time....it is because you need new friends or coworkers or to separate from family member(s) who subject you to that? Or is it you that feel a lack of confidence. I daresay OCS is not the next step until you get over that. Maybe enlisting in the reserves to build it up will help. Who knows. Steve recommends Coast Guard likely to more collegial environment. Ne c'est pas?

Status
Not open for further replies.