• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Working out at OCS

Tom

pilot
Contributor
As for making a name for yourself on the internet prior to OCS, it's bad. I know one DI who knew he had a Marine coming to his class. I wonder how he's doing with the special attention so far? DI's, Chiefs and Officers all enjoy scoping out the fresh meat.

nugget81

pilot
Tom....you lost me...:D;)

What is it?...recognize direction of spin
ailerons neutral
full rudder in opposite direction of spin
elevators briskly forward
recover from dive

assuming a spin has been encountered

Tom is saying that a falling leaf is not anything like a spin, unless you f*ck it up.

WARNING: Application of spin recovery inputs when not in a steady state spin will further aggravate the out of control flight condition.

What were we talking about again?

bosaviator79

Tom is saying that a falling leaf is not anything like a spin, unless you f*ck it up.

WARNING: Application of spin recovery inputs when not in a steady state spin will further aggravate the out of control flight condition.

What were we talking about again?

Yes I know, that is why I said "assuming a spin has been entered".

bosaviator79

Found this

If You Don't Use It, Will You Lose It?

Printable PDF

If you've been sidelined by an injury, or you're considering taking a break from exercise, you might wonder if you'll lose your hard-earned strength and endurance. Some loss of fitness is inevitable, but there are ways to help minimize it.
Here's what happens to your body when you take a break from exercise.
Matters of the heart
The degree to which cardiovascular fitness declines during a period of de-training depends upon what kind of shape you were in to begin with. Individuals who are extremely fit, such as highly trained athletes, experience a rapid drop in fitness during the first three weeks of detraining, which then tapers off.
A significant level of fitness - higher than that of an untrained person - is retained for about 12 weeks. Individuals with low-to-moderate fitness levels show little change in cardiovascular fitness within the first few weeks, but their ability rapidly declines in the weeks immediately following.
Performance jitters
The ability to perform a given sport or activity, whether it involves swinging a bat in softball or running 10Ks, invariably declines when the sport is abandoned for any length of time. One study found that marathoners experienced a 25-percent decrease in endurance time during a maximal aerobic treadmill test after just 15 days of inactivity.
Another showed that swimmer's arm strength declined by more than 13 percent within four weeks of abandoning their regular training regimen.
Numerous variables come into play when analyzing the ability to perform a particular sport-specific skill, making it difficult to analyze the effects of detraining. Some are like riding a bike - you never forget how - while others, such as the ability to deliver an accurate serve in tennis, for example, involve specific timing and well-trained muscles.
Speaking of muscles...
With the exception of a genetically blessed few, most of us have to work at it building strength through formal or informal strength-training workouts. Again, well-trained athletes have the edge, because the positive effects of training remain evident weeks, sometimes even months, after ending training.
Lesser-trained individuals can expect to see their muscle strength and conditioning decline at a slightly faster rate, though not at the levels seen in sedentary individuals.
Stem the de-training tide
Experts agree that the best way to avoid losing much of the health and fitness benefits you've worked so hard to achieve is to do something. If you can't find the motivation to run for a few weeks or longer, try walking instead. Cross training became popular because it is a viable means of maintaining, even increasing, one's fitness level.
Runners can give their knees a break by switching to cycling, swimmers can work their legs on a stair stepper, and aerobics enthusiasts can take their workout outdoors by hiking through a local park or reserve.
If an injury is keeping you from your favorite activities, take your worries to the pool. Of course, it's always advisable to check with your physician before resuming exercise after an injury. Regardless of which activity you choose, be sure to progress gradually.
If boredom is the problem, now's the time to try that sport you've been considering for so long. In-line skating, tai chi, boot-camp workouts - whatever strikes your fancy. The key is to keep your heart and muscles challenged in order to minimize the detraining effects that come when taking a break from your usual routine.

phrogpilot73

Use the Angle of Attack vs Coefficient of Lift graph for physical shape in OCS for an average candidate. One starts low, gets in great shape, but after the 8th to 9th week stalls out. Proper stall recovery procedures are not used and a falling leaf stall occurs.
What is it?...recognize direction of spin
ailerons neutral
full rudder in opposite direction of spin
elevators briskly forward
recover from dive

assuming a spin has been encountered
You're both nerds.

How the #$%^ would you know? Back in your hole junior. I understand that you "heard this"...but individual mileage may vary...
I agree. I have no experience with OCS, only USMC boot camp and USNA. So I personally wouldn't pass on second hand knowledges.

I would say that my opinion is that it should be harder. Two different purposes - one is to make a basically trained Marine/Sailor. The other is to make/evaluate an officer to lead said Marines/Sailors. If it was easier, that wouldn't make sense now would it?

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
There is a small gym that I know of, but you have to have permission to use it. We were denied. You get plenty of PT time however...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
How the #$%^ would you know? Back in your hole junior. I understand that you "heard this"...but individual mileage may vary...

You also have no idea how serious about strength training this guy is. If he is serious, he will lose muscle mass and strength...

You're right. I don't know. -1 for headwork. I should have prefaced it with a WARNING: SECONDHAND GOUGE. That was just gouge from almost all the priors I spoke with (Marine Corps and Navy priors). Our class was probably around 30%-40% priors and this seemed to be the consensus, but regardless, I shouldn't have made the claim as if I know.

I'll go climb back in my hole now.:D

MasterBates

Not to defend Bogey, but the consensus in my OCS class among priors was indeed that OCS sucked more.

One wannabe marine turned Navy SNA stated that Marine OCS was harder physically, but Navy OCS sucked more.