• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Working out at OCS

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I don't know if it's changed in the past couple of years, but there were people in my class who would go to the gym/track before the candi-o phase. For us, PT really dropped off in intensity and duration after our mid-PFT (bad weather, various holidays, and a lot of other random crap that I really don't specifically remember) and there were a lot of guys who worked out on their own.

OUT-PFA was typically worse for many candidates. PT DOES drop off...

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I was one of the fat asses that lost over 30lbs at OCS. I lost a lot of strength as far as how much weight I could throw around in the gym after commissioning but was better conditioned overall from all the running.

bosaviator79

Oh how wrong you are. I've known Marines who went through basic and later went to Navy OCS. It doesn't compare because it is much different (I got this statement from DI's at OCS). Believe whatever you want though.

I'm not sure what he was getting at, but my concern is losing conditioning. I'm a tri/biathlete, and competitive runner in 10k-half marathons. I run 50-60 miles a week, swim 2500 meters 4 times a week and cycle up wards of 400 miles a month. Needless to same I'm not the guy that runs an 8min/mile for 4 miles 3 times a week, not that theres anything wrong with that, I'm just really involved with my fitness. That being said the effects of work outs at OCS sound slightly subjective based on the participants fitness level. I mean I think if you've never worked out religiously and 3-4 mile runs 3 times a week are an accomplishement, outstanding. But for mid to long distance runners we lose conditioning with shorter and slower runs. So maybe that is his concern as well. From all that I've heard concerning the workouts, its alot less than I do myself, so I can understand what he is saying, if that is indeed what he is saying.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Use the Angle of Attack vs Coefficient of Lift graph for physical shape in OCS for an average candidate. One starts low, gets in great shape, but after the 8th to 9th week stalls out. Proper stall recovery procedures are not used and a falling leaf stall occurs.

bosaviator79

Use the Angle of Attack vs Coefficient of Lift graph for physical shape in OCS for an average candidate. One starts low, gets in great shape, but after the 8th to 9th week stalls out. Proper stall recovery procedures are not used and a falling leaf stall occurs.

What is it?...recognize direction of spin
ailerons neutral
full rudder in opposite direction of spin
elevators briskly forward
recover from dive

assuming a spin has been encountered

red_ryder

None
I'm not sure what he was getting at, but my concern is losing conditioning. I'm a tri/biathlete, and competitive runner in 10k-half marathons. I run 50-60 miles a week, swim 2500 meters 4 times a week and cycle up wards of 400 miles a month. Needless to same I'm not the guy that runs an 8min/mile for 4 miles 3 times a week, not that theres anything wrong with that, I'm just really involved with my fitness. That being said the effects of work outs at OCS sound slightly subjective based on the participants fitness level. I mean I think if you've never worked out religiously and 3-4 mile runs 3 times a week are an accomplishement, outstanding. But for mid to long distance runners we lose conditioning with shorter and slower runs. So maybe that is his concern as well. From all that I've heard concerning the workouts, its alot less than I do myself, so I can understand what he is saying, if that is indeed what he is saying.

Man, that sucks that you won't be able to run a full 60 miles a week at OCS and will probably have some catching up to do after graduation. We all have to make those BIG sacrifices, man. ;)

bosaviator79

Man, that sucks that you won't be able to run a full 60 miles a week at OCS and will probably have some catching up to do after graduation. We all have to make those BIG sacrifices, man. ;)

As disheartening as it is, I will face reality and place true human limitations on myself. Wait...can't I just run around the formation? or Maybe sing the "The Wild Blue Yonder" and be forced to do lapse?:icon_mi_1

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Hi guys,

Just a quick question for those that have gone through Navy OCS. I'm prior Marine Corps and go to the gym everday. I know in Marine boot camp we never had any chance to go to the gym, but we also never had liberty and weren't allowed to stash things in our vehicles. Does anyone know if we have a chance to go to the gym and if we can bring supplements? I think I'm going to in the first class in March 2008. Thanks.

I understand your concern. I'm a USMC OCC-196 grad and have spent the last two months getting back to my fitness level pre-OCS. Yes, my run time improved - a whole 20 seconds, but my strength levels dramatically fell off.

In the big picture though, what is two months for a career? Not much in my opinion.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Oh, and from MANY prior-enlisted marines: the PT may not be the same as boot camp, but OCS sucks WAY more than boot camp.

How the #$%^ would you know? Back in your hole junior. I understand that you "heard this"...but individual mileage may vary...

You also have no idea how serious about strength training this guy is. If he is serious, he will lose muscle mass and strength...