• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Working for the holidays...

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
Anyone else working today and tomorrow? I work all the holidays (I'm the FNG, soooo I'm never able to get coverage for holidays.) Currently I'm watching planes go around on runway 13 at KBNA due to some pretty high winds. All my friends have gone home for Christmas....so here I am for the next couple of days. What is work like for everyone else these couple of days?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Everyone in a COMBAT ZONE is working tomorrow including those on ships at sea.

-ea6bflyr ;)

H60Gunner

Contributor
Everyone in a COMBAT ZONE is working tomorrow including those on ships at sea.-ea6bflyr ;)

Ya those folks are the ones making a sacrifice if you will. I remember all too well the holidays deployed, not too bad, but still not the same as being with family or at least INCONUS.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I always took duty when I wasn't married, now I fix the big dinner for mine and the wife’s family every year. I'm 1/3 into a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 while the in-laws argue over the snow flurries.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Anyone else working today and tomorrow? I work all the holidays (I'm the FNG, soooo I'm never able to get coverage for holidays.) Currently I'm watching planes go around on runway 13 at KBNA due to some pretty high winds. All my friends have gone home for Christmas....so here I am for the next couple of days. What is work like for everyone else these couple of days?

I've got duty on Saturday with MATSG-21. So I get to spend the holiday with the wife. It's actually kind of nice, no family bullshit, no travel bullshit, and I get to sleep in my own bed with my wife. Much better than the 2nd Lt who is in the defense in Now Zad.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ya those folks are the ones making a sacrifice if you will. I remember all too well the holidays deployed, not too bad, but still not the same as being with family or at least INCONUS.

Its like Groundhog Day, except maybe for some decorations and whatever spouse send to try to liven things up. Like others have said, not even close to being at home. At least there is typically some kind of connectivity these days instead of the ~two week cycle time for mail as primary means of communication. Talk about feeling disconnected!

KBayDog

At least there is typically some kind of connectivity these days instead of the ~two week cycle time for mail as primary means of communication. Talk about feeling disconnected!

No joke. We've actually got it pretty easy, as far as that is concerned. Damn good connectivity feet dry, and the opportunity for at least daily e-mail on Das Boat. A two + week turnaround for snail mail puts the inconvenience of a few hours of HERO or River City in perspective.

Anyway, OP, be thankful that you've got a job.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Got a nice view of downtown Baghdad this evening... yeah, I'm "working" tomorrow night too... 2nd year in a row.

And Merry Christmas to you too, KBay...

H60Gunner

Contributor
2 week mail delay

Once upon a time Gunner was deployed to the sand box.

We flew into Bahrain, for whatever reason, and while poking around the flight line, me and my trusty second crewman discovered a literal mound of mail piled up in a hangar. To our surprise it was "our" mail all addressed to USS Homeplate. We stuffed our helo with as much as would fit while some dude not from the ship protested in vain. On our way back to USS Homeplate we reveled in the glory of making the call "Loosefoot 61X inbound with xxxxlbs of Pony". And were heroes for 30 whole seconds.

Mail is a huge morale booster!

exhelodrvr

pilot
Its like Groundhog Day, except maybe for some decorations and whatever spouse send to try to liven things up. Like others have said, not even close to being at home. At least there is typically some kind of connectivity these days instead of the ~two week cycle time for mail as primary means of communication. Talk about feeling disconnected!

Yes, it was different - numbering the letters so that you read them in order ... paying $90 for a five minute phone call each time you were in port ... and then I think about the military in WWII!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'm enjoying my time off now, knowing that Christmas holidays in my near future may likely be spent on a big grey boat....does that count?

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Rare 21, I'll be in SB on Monday or Tuesday next week, maybe we can meet and I can buy you a beer.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's funny actually, comparing the military world with the civilian corps. Civilians are shocked if you work a full day on Xmas Eve. Most just don't have the same perspective.

KBayDog

It's funny actually, comparing the military world with the civilian corps. Civilians are shocked if you work a full day on Xmas Eve. Most just don't have the same perspective.

"Full day" is another different perspective. Eight hours is a very, very short day for any of us in uniform!