• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Working Before TBS

occhi69b

I graduated OCS this past summer (PLC combined). I've got an air contract and I graduate college May 2006. My OSO says that the earliest I can go to TBS is November 2007. He says its all backed up right now. Can I work somewhere for those 6 months like at a squadron or something? Or am I out of luck until TBS? Any help would be great.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Your OSO would probably know best. I know some guys that were in a similar situation who were occasionally helping out at one of the F-18 RAGs. Nothing full-time, but something. Ask your OSO.

phrogpilot73

I've known of people that stash at different units, but really... You'll have enough time there as it is. Go to Mike company, and try and avoid all working parties. Then go out and party all the time. Don't go to the fleet until you have to, enjoy it now while you can.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I've known of people that stash at different units, but really... You'll have enough time there as it is. Go to Mike company, and try and avoid all working parties. Then go out and party all the time. Don't go to the fleet until you have to, enjoy it now while you can.
There is a good chance you might get to do IFS a few months before your TBS company (sounds like its gonna be Alpha) picks up. Thats what Im doing now. Listen to phrogpilot, and enjoy the time back in your college town before you get here too.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Once you get your orders to go to TBS (or IFS) you can go on PTAD (Permissive Temporary Active Duty). I think (although I'm not absolutely sure about this) you can start once you're within 60 days of going on active. There are usually a few recently commissioned LT's working at my OSO's office between graduation and TBS. Ask your OSO. Also, if you do a thread search for PTAD, there are a few threads on similar topics.

VAmookie

Once you get your orders to go to TBS (or IFS) you can go on PTAD (Permissive Temporary Active Duty). I think (although I'm not absolutely sure about this) you can start once you're within 60 days of going on active. There are usually a few recently commissioned LT's working at my OSO's office between graduation and TBS. Ask your OSO. Also, if you do a thread search for PTAD, there are a few threads on similar topics.

its Permissive temporary "additional" duty and you can start 70 days prior to going active but you can only work for 60 of them (ie. 10 day vacation to travel and whatnot before you go active)

Patriot

Before TBS

I'm looking to go to OCC Combined this summer and will graduate next December. From your experiences since TBS is backed up now will it probably be backed up then?

Also I dont understand how pay works. Lets say I make it through OCC and graduate in Dec and get commisioned, until I get to TBS or IFS would I be allowed to work somewhere outside the Corps to make money during the wait if I can not get an assignment such as an OSO? In short my question is if you are waiting for TBS what do you do for income?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I'm looking to go to OCC Combined this summer and will graduate next December. From your experiences since TBS is backed up now will it probably be backed up then?

Also I dont understand how pay works. Lets say I make it through OCC and graduate in Dec and get commisioned, until I get to TBS or IFS would I be allowed to work somewhere outside the Corps to make money during the wait if I can not get an assignment such as an OSO? In short my question is if you are waiting for TBS what do you do for income?

While you are waiting to be ordered to Active Duty you are on your own to find money. That means that you can get an outside job if you want or try to set something up with your OSO. its all up to you. TBS has been "backed up" like this for over a year and odds are it will be for another. Either way you will find out before any of us.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Backed up or not, if you go to OCC in the Summer, there will be a spot for you in Fox Co. Usually the backups are the PLC guys waiting to class up after graduation. The Summer classes get priority for Fox, so you should be good to go. If only flight school were the same...sigh.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Backed up or not, if you go to OCC in the Summer, there will be a spot for you in Fox Co. Usually the backups are the PLC guys waiting to class up after graduation. The Summer classes get priority for Fox, so you should be good to go. If only flight school were the same...sigh.

I believe he said he was going OCC combined and then graduating in Dec...that leads me to assume that he is in fact a PLC guy. I could be wrong but yes the OCC guys get priority for FOX.