• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Working and going school > going to school with a parental umbillical

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The picklets are lucky to have good parents :).

Personally, I'm very grateful for the opportunity my parents afforded me in college and for a couple years after. They could've just said "gtfo!," and I would've been up shit's creek paying a $500+/mo for private student loans. I also would've been faced with the choice of moving to an entirely different location with no family support and no job, or trying to afford an apartment in an area where BAH is more than an O-1 salary after taxes on a $40k/year salary.

But they didn't do that. They knew how much a private loan would be, so they made up what federal loans wouldn't cover, which keeps my student loan payments to $100/mo. They knew how insanely expensive rent is on LI, so they let me live at home until I made enough money to move out. Because of that, I was able to afford furniture for my apartment when I did move out, instead of borrow more money to do it. I can also put away money for retirement and my kids. Point being, there are people in this world who can acknowledge that they lucked out, and can be fully-functional and independent adults after having help with college finances.

Like Hal's parents, all they ask is that I work hard and do the same for my kids, whenever I may have them.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not a kid who has to climb Mount Everest in order to graduate college just to set you straight as well. I'm just arguing a point and it's working out nicely.

Oh really? Check your reputation* lately? It's going down faster than the stock market!

This what you call working out nicely? If so, is your intent to be a troll inciting discord?

Reputation for TrueAce said:
(Page 1/1) | There are 7 comments (all negative)

12:49, 7th Mar 2009 You need to watch your tone, newbie
12:41, 7th Mar 2009 You sound like a douchebag...stop digging the hole
12:38, 7th Mar 2009 stop
12:36, 7th Mar 2009 Learn to STFU
12:29, 7th Mar 2009
12:26, 7th Mar 2009 You're coming across like a tool
09:57, 7th Mar 2009 The holier than thou bit just doesn't play

I figured people in the military would be a bit tougher than your average joe, so if a little spirited debate feels like an attack to you guys then I apologize. I still don't see how I've been that grossly out of line. I'm debating hard IMO, so there's no need to turn it into a immature cry baby contest. When all are done saying their points, then it'll be over.

This stance indicates you aren't even understanding what they are telling you. This needs to stop since you can't go into receive mode and decipher what is being said to you.

AJB37

First of all, you're making a major assumption of what kind of help I've received or how much I had to work through college. Where did I ever say in my posts what my situation was? My conclusions come off observing my peers in general, not my specific situation.

Some people that wouldn't even have to work choose to do so to keep themselves busy. Other people that don't have to work, choose not to in order to have more time for social activities. In my experience, the friends that I have that don't work, party more and do leisurely things much more so than invest this extra time for more studying. So how is this really "focusing on your education.", as people seem to claim? As I asked Hal, how could you have survived in college without changing your lifestyle if it wasn't for your parents providing everything for you? Without doing so you would starve, therefore you fit the profile of an umbilical cord college baby.

I didn't make the first post about the subject. Someone said "cut the umbilical cord", Hal came on and said knock it off, then I posted my opinion that in many cases college students are still attached to their parents by a cord whether you like to admit it or not.

You fit the profile perfectly. If my statements had no truth, then obviously they wouldn't have struck enough of a nerve for you to reply. I think we have another umbilical cord baby here in denial!

As far as posting evidence which you ask me to provide, where's your's refuting your claim that you weren't an umbilical cord college baby? Lets get real, we aren't going to court over this Christ. It's funny how people always ask where's your evidence, then state a counter claim without providing any themselves.

There's no reason to get upset over this debate unless you're feeling guilty. Sometimes the truth hurts. :D You're the one clearly become defensive by claiming I'm calling you "a worse student" or a bad person. I'm not, it's clear though that these few posts have possibly given you enough of a rise to have to come out and defend yourself against a claim that wasn't even directed towards you.

1. I qualified for FAFSA loans, because I was raised by a single parent. I didn't take them because my mother didn't want me take on unnecessary debt when she could afford to pay for college. I also worked 15 to 20 hours a week to pay for what she didn't cover. It wasn't a hard or high paying job, but it was still a job. I was also an athlete, so I had more demands on my time than a student working their way through college, due to the amount of time I had to invest in lacrosse.

2. I'm not feeling guilty, or upset about this "debate". I am simply annoyed when people state generalizations based off of small samples of a community.

young money talks said:
Over 30% of college students leave after the first year and almost 50% never graduate, according to the Department of Education. The leading reason for this problem seems to be a lack of money.
http://www.youngmoneytalks.com/blog/index.php?p=25

Then there is this: Pie Chart: "Reasons Cited Amongst The 19% of 4 Yr College Undergrads Who Dropped Out" - 38% Financial pressure
- 28% Academic disqualification
- 4% Distance from home
- 5% Health problem
- 3% Mental / emotional issues
- 9% Family support
- 13% Poor social fit

http://www.duck9.com/College-Student-Drop-Out-Rates.htm

Seattle Pi said:
Many in the next generation of workers will be so debt-burdened that they will have to delay home purchases, limit vacations, even eat out less to pay loans off on time.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/333818_studentloans01.html

So please explain to me how paying for my college was an umbilical cord. Maybe my mother didn't want me to drop out of college, seeing as financial reasons are the number one cause of dropouts. I think that is called trying to set your child up for success. If she was helping with my homework, then got me my first job, then that would be an umbilical cord. But you know what, you're right, maybe it would be better if instead of using money I could be saving for retirement or buying a house, if I used that money to pay down student loans. That would be awesome.

4. This is your profile of an umbilical cord student: Procrastination, spends spare time parting, drinking, etc., and chases random girls around. Hmm now, I'll have to go back and reread my previous post, but I'm pretty sure I didn't mention any of those traits.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Well I see this thread has progressed nicely since last night.....

TrueAss (Mind if I borrow that Pickle? I like it!),

You basically accused me of pulling rank here. Just know if I had, you'd be gone from the site. Banned. Probably forever. Or I could have also hammered you with the negative rep. My rep hits are stronger then most - 100 rep power. I've done neither. I've never said anything about being a retired officer, a site Moderator or threatened your access to this site in any way.

As others have said, it's the tone and know-it-all attitude of your posts that show just what an arrogant idiot fuck-tard you are. You're not debating, your labeling people based off your vast life experiences as a 20-something year old who has never been a parent or done anything significant. You sound like a jealous whinny brat.

While I will not use my Mod powers to make you go away, feel free to disappear on your own. No one will miss you.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
holy shit, I haven't really taken much of a look at the thread that spawned this split, but my umbilical comment has spawned a shit ton of redass all over the place...

it wasn't even meant to be about paying for college... i was talking about after the college /commission and once the paychecks start rolling in, the kid will be fine and can take care of himself. If you wanna cut them off then, it would be an appropriate time. I was just using my example that even with significant college debt (which will be paid down well before the end of the terms on the loans) i had plenty of discretionary spending...

damn.

and trueace...that thing jammed in your mouth? that's your own foot. try to remove it.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I can't say I really looked at this thread until now, but TruceAce, man you're coming off on a pretty high horse dude.
Your example fits the definition of "pathetic" if you want to get down to it. The people who receive a full scholarship to the Academy, any one of them for that matter, have to repay what they are given with a service obligation. This sacrifice, sometimes ends up costing them their lives. How is your example even similar or relevant? I know you know that, but you're the one who brought up the example which might work on a 10 year old but not a "20 something college punk."

I'm at USNA right now and yeah, I incur a service obligation, but so do the NROTC guys... sure theirs is one year shorter assuming they go SWO, Marines, (and maybe subs and SEALs... not sure?) but they still do have a service obligation just like I do. I don't know what "scholarship" to the Academy you're talking about - we all go here for no tuition. there are 2 actual costs incurred by MIDN here - the upfront initial issue cost and some fee you pay when entering which is about $5000 (and I think that's even changed) and I think now both are all a loan which can be paid off by parents and/or paid off as deductions from our pay as active duty MIDN.

With that said NROTC guys often have to pay full room and board, and I know when I looked at going to Penn State room and board would've been a little over $12,000 over the course of 4 years assuming constant cost and that's no chump change. Add in food costs and I'm sure we're talking somewhere over $17,000 now. My parents would've footed that bill because they knew that I would be working hard being a Mid in the NROTC unit at PSU and because they loved me and wanted to provide me some help in getting me to succeed. Instead, in coming to USNA, they paid that initial issue cost of ~,$5000 for the same reason. I would say I'm not on their "umbilical" cord and I'm quite independent of them but I appreciate their help.

Forgive me if my post doesn't have a point, I lost some sleep in the time shift and I'm on a boring watch right now at 5:09 my time. At least this watch affords a PC. I guess all I'm saying is that NROTC Mids I'm sure have a lot of time consumed by their duties as a Mid and it'd be much harder for them to foot the bill for room and board without taking a loan and they too receive a service obligation similar to any Academy Mid who received a "full scholarship" too.

Just face it, in three years TrueAce will be commissioned, in the Helo FRS, and post on here often as a valued contributer to the site (having undergone about a dozen screen name changes).

Classic. +1.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Just face it, in three years TrueAce will be commissioned, in the Helo FRS, and post on here often as a valued contributer to the site (having undergone about a dozen screen name changes).

Touche'.

Well played, sir.

BTW... it seems like back when I was joboy, I was alone and unafraid being the resident fucktard. Why is it that there seems to be SOO many retards posting on here lately?

MasterBates

Because forum retrardedness is viral.. One becomes two, two becomes four, and the next thing we know we're overrun.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Touche'.

Well played, sir.

BTW... it seems like back when I was joboy, I was alone and unafraid being the resident fucktard. Why is it that there seems to be SOO many retards posting on here lately?

Who says you're still not the resident fucktard?

I keed, I keed of course. :D

TrueAce

Banned
My opinion hasn't changed much, but I'll take "TrueAss, THole, or TAss" for my call sign if it makes you guys feel any better. I doubt I'll ever be selected, but just incase I make it that far.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
My opinion hasn't changed much, but I'll take "TrueAss, THole, or TAss" for my call sign if it makes you guys feel any better. I doubt I'll ever be selected, but just incase I make it that far.

It's your username...call signs are for aviators...