• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Working and going school > going to school with a parental umbillical

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
TrueAce said:
Now if you're having everything paid for and a hundred dollar a week stipend from your parents It's a f***** umbilical cord come on now. (again there's nothing wrong with it, but that's what it is, and anyone who can say with a straight face they aren't still attached to their mom by an umbilical cord is a d*** liar) Case closed.:D
I can say it with a straight face. I was not attached to my Mom by an umbilical cord. I'm sorry your parents couldn't or wouldn't do it for you.

Again....get older, gain more life experience and have a kid. Then we'll have this conversation again.

Until then - get over it.

Daisy

HAL Pilot said:
The deal with my parents was that I'd do the same for my kid. Which I will. They also know that I will take care of them if needed just like I know they will take care of me if ever needed. It's called family.
Nicely put. You said it better than I could.

UpstateSouthPaw said:
I know a bunch of people that received scholarships other than just the NROTC scholarship which helped them out a lot. In short, having an NROTC scholarship doesn't make you exempt from receiving others.

Yes, thanks for mentioning that - I tend to forget about those opportunities.

TrueAce

Banned
I can say it with a straight face. I was not attached to my Mom by an umbilical cord. I'm sorry your parents couldn't or wouldn't do it for you.

Again....get older, gain more life experience and have a kid. Then we'll have this conversation again.

Until then - get over it.

Well it's understandable if you're in denial. Obviously you weren't attached in a literal sense, but how could you have survived without them unless you changed the lifestyle you lived in college? That fits the definition of an umbilical pretty well. You already said you had everything paid for and just had to work a bit for your beer money, which probably isn't even 100% true.

To echo one of your statements, the kids who would never admit they were attached to their parents by an umbilical cord, tend to be the ones who have everything paid for. You need to at least give a fair analysis of the situation when you want to make one sided statements. If you honestly think that living on your own in a college dorm with all expenses paid isn't an umbilical cord, not in a literal sense, then you and I just see things different.

Again...there's nothing wrong with having everything paid for, but how can you sit here and say just because you're living own you're own that you basically aren't still attached to your parents (without them you would starve or not be able to function, which signifies the umbilical cord) and depend on them? Ok maybe calling it an umbilical cord is a bit derogatory, but what would you call it then?

I plan on helping my kids with college. That doesn't change the fact that if I'm paying for everything they will still be basically attached to my wife and I by an umbilical cord. If they don't follow the rules and perform, then it'll be severed.

Since you like to keep saying I'm sorry you parents couldn't help you. I'm sorry you're bitter you really know that you were still attached by an umbilical throughout college. Get over it....college was the easiest four years of your life and you know it..:p

AJB37

Well it's understandable if you're in denial. Obviously you weren't attached in a literal sense, but how could you have survived without them unless you changed the lifestyle you lived in college? That fits the definition of an umbilical pretty well. You already said you had everything paid for and just had to work a bit for your beer money, which probably isn't even 100% true.

To echo one of your statements, the kids who would never admit they were attached to their parents by an umbilical cord, tend to be the ones who have everything paid for. You need to at least give a fair analysis of the situation when you want to make one sided statements. If you honestly think that living on your own in a college dorm with all expenses paid isn't an umbilical cord, not in a literal sense, then you and I just see things different.

Again...there's nothing wrong with having everything paid for, but how can you sit here and say just because you're living own you're own that you basically aren't still attached to your parents (without them you would starve or not be able to function, which signifies the umbilical cord) and depend on them? Ok maybe calling it an umbilical cord is a bit derogatory, but what would you call it then?

I plan on helping my kids with college. That doesn't change the fact that if I'm paying for everything they will still be basically attached to my wife and I by an umbilical cord. If they don't follow the rules and perform, then it'll be severed.

Since you like to keep saying I'm sorry you parents couldn't help you. I'm sorry you're bitter you really know that you were still attached by an umbilical throughout college. Get over it....college was the easiest four years of your life and you know it..:p

Paying for a child to live in college is not an umbilical cord (and yes, I know your speaking metaphorically, you don't have to clarify that as you did in a previous post.) You really need to step down off your high horse, maybe just long enough to cite something other than anecdotal evidence. It sucks that you had to pay for your own college, work, take on debt, or whatever, but you really shouldn't come post on a random internet site that students who were supported by their parents were really just leeches suckling at the tit of their parents well past their time. You are completely entitled to your opinion and its great that you want to play the victim because you had to watch your friends go out and party on their parents dime while you were forced to work 2 jobs that you had to walk to, in the snow, uphill both ways. So what I guess this rant is trying to say is, unless you can actually show me some hard evidence that because I took money from my mom to pay for school, books, room, and food, that I am somehow a worse student than you or somebody else that paid their way through college, you should really just sit down and keep your thoughts to your self. But what do I know, I was apparently busy partying, drinking, and banging random girls with my mom's money.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
TrueAce

By your logic, I guess those that attend the Navy Academy have an umbilical tied to the Navy's uterus. After all the Navy is paying for their every need.

You're a 20 something know-it-all punk kid that isn't out of college and hasn't proved a damn thing in life except for thinking you know more than people with years or even decades more life experience than you. Your lecturing me is both pathetic and humorous.

Have fun carrying that big chip on your shoulder. Be careful so the burden doesn't overwhelm you.

TrueAce

Banned
Paying for a child to live in college is not an umbilical cord (and yes, I know your speaking metaphorically, you don't have to clarify that as you did in a previous post.) You really need to step down off your high horse, maybe just long enough to cite something other than anecdotal evidence. It sucks that you had to pay for your own college, work, take on debt, or whatever, but you really shouldn't come post on a random internet site that students who were supported by their parents were really just leeches suckling at the tit of their parents well past their time. You are completely entitled to your opinion and its great that you want to play the victim because you had to watch your friends go out and party on their parents dime while you were forced to work 2 jobs that you had to walk to, in the snow, uphill both ways. So what I guess this rant is trying to say is, unless you can actually show me some hard evidence that because I took money from my mom to pay for school, books, room, and food, that I am somehow a worse student than you or somebody else that paid their way through college, you should really just sit down and keep your thoughts to your self. But what do I know, I was apparently busy partying, drinking, and banging random girls with my mom's money.

First of all, you're making a major assumption of what kind of help I've received or how much I had to work through college. Where did I ever say in my posts what my situation was? My conclusions come off observing my peers in general, not my specific situation.

Some people that wouldn't even have to work choose to do so to keep themselves busy. Other people that don't have to work, choose not to in order to have more time for social activities. In my experience, the friends that I have that don't work, party more and do leisurely things much more so than invest this extra time for more studying. So how is this really "focusing on your education.", as people seem to claim? As I asked Hal, how could you have survived in college without changing your lifestyle if it wasn't for your parents providing everything for you? Without doing so you would starve, therefore you fit the profile of an umbilical cord college baby.

I didn't make the first post about the subject. Someone said "cut the umbilical cord", Hal came on and said knock it off, then I posted my opinion that in many cases college students are still attached to their parents by a cord whether you like to admit it or not.

You fit the profile perfectly. If my statements had no truth, then obviously they wouldn't have struck enough of a nerve for you to reply. I think we have another umbilical cord baby here in denial!

As far as posting evidence which you ask me to provide, where's your's refuting your claim that you weren't an umbilical cord college baby? Lets get real, we aren't going to court over this Christ. It's funny how people always ask where's your evidence, then state a counter claim without providing any themselves.

There's no reason to get upset over this debate unless you're feeling guilty. Sometimes the truth hurts. :D You're the one clearly become defensive by claiming I'm calling you "a worse student" or a bad person. I'm not, it's clear though that these few posts have possibly given you enough of a rise to have to come out and defend yourself against a claim that wasn't even directed towards you.

TrueAce

By your logic, I guess those that attend the Navy Academy have an umbilical tied to the Navy's uterus. After all the Navy is paying for their every need.

You're a 20 something know-it-all punk kid that isn't out of college and hasn't proved a damn thing in life except for thinking you know more than people with years or even decades more life experience than you. Your lecturing me is both pathetic and humorous.

Have fun carrying that big chip on your shoulder. Be careful so the burden doesn't overwhelm you.

Hal, I have in no way attacked your character or was ever even lecturing you. I've been stating my opinion that's all. I'm sorry if all you like to here is "Yes Sir." If I was under your command, that's how it would be, but I'm a civilian. Obviously no one will defend me on here as I don't really care if they do or not, but if people go through and read the whole thread they'll see you're the one stepping out of line. You're supposed to be the one with experience and professionalism yet you call me "a know it all punk kid" over a harmless debate.

Your example fits the definition of "pathetic" if you want to get down to it. The people who receive a full scholarship to the Academy, any one of them for that matter, have to repay what they are given with a service obligation. This sacrifice, sometimes ends up costing them their lives. How is your example even similar or relevant? I know you know that, but you're the one who brought up the example which might work on a 10 year old but not a "20 something college punk."

I guess in some cases, you could be right though. The kids who are accepted to the academies for their connections, and not their outstanding achievements, fit the definition of an umbilical cord baby very well just in a slightly different way. :)

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
TrueAce said:
words.... :)
Smiley faces don't detract from your underlying tone. You are coming across as one of those better than thou folks. There are times to debate and then there are times to STFU. If you don't know what pecking order is, look it up. Oh, and you may be a civilian now, but I take it since you're on this forum that you eventually WANT to be in the military. Act accordingly.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You fit the profile perfectly. If my statements had no truth, then obviously they wouldn't have struck enough of a nerve for you to reply. I think we have another umbilical cord baby here in denial!
Right. By your logic, if you claimed that the Earth was flat, and someone told you stfu you're an idiot, you're automatically right because you got a response.

Your posts are extremely condescending. The phrase "Umbilical cord college baby" has a strong negative connotation, so you should understand that some people might be offended for calling them that. This is especially true of people who have established careers, or might have raised kids of their own. What you're communicating when you say that is that the individual has no capability to take care of himself.

TrueAce

Banned
Smiley faces don't detract from your underlying tone. You are coming across as one of those better than thou folks. There are times to debate and then there are times to STFU. If you don't know what pecking order is, look it up. Oh, and you may be a civilian now, but I take it since you're on this forum that you eventually WANT to be in the military. Act accordingly.

I'm not a kid who has to climb Mount Everest in order to graduate college just to set you straight as well. I'm just arguing a point and it's working out nicely.

I figured people in the military would be a bit tougher than your average joe, so if a little spirited debate feels like an attack to you guys then I apologize. I still don't see how I've been that grossly out of line. I'm debating hard IMO, so there's no need to turn it into a immature cry baby contest. When all are done saying their points, then it'll be over.

Reactions: m26

m26

Contributor
I'm just arguing a point and it's working out nicely.

I figured people in the military would be a bit tougher than your average joe, so if a little spirited debate feels like an attack to you guys then I apologize. I still don't see how I've been that grossly out of line. I'm debating hard IMO.

For the love of God stop.

This was the end of it:

Calling it a "crutch" or "booster seat" is what those whose parents didn't pay or help pay for their college usually say. I'm sorry your parents either would not or could not do it for you, but that doesn't mean you have more character or are a better person. That's just the breaks. It sucks for you.

22 year old getting help from his parents for college - perfectly accepted and even expected. Why do you think the military, federal government and most good corporate jobs extend dependent benefits to child under 23 if they are enrolled full-time in school?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I figured people in the military would be a bit tougher than your average joe, so if a little spirited debate...
It's not the debate that's pissing people off, it's your attitude, tone, and insults.

TrueAce

Banned
Right. By your logic, if you claimed that the Earth was flat, and someone told you stfu you're an idiot, you're automatically right because you got a response.

Your posts are extremely condescending. The phrase "Umbilical cord college baby" has a strong negative connotation, so you should understand that some people might be offended for calling them that. This is especially true of people who have established careers, or might have raised kids of their own. What you're communicating when you say that is that the individual has no capability to take care of himself.

Where did I ever say they had no capability? I'm saying exactly what it is in some cases at the current moment. Someone who is living in college on their own, yet has all expenses paid for by their parents plus a living stipend basically still fits the definition of a dependent. Ok umbilical cord college baby is a big derogatory, but will some of you admit that there are kids out there like that? I know no one would ever own up personally, but maybe we can agree that it definitely fits the description of some. Then on top of that, the kids think they're full grown adults out living on their own. That's where the pathetic part comes in. I mean just admit what the case really is and that you're totally reliant upon your parents for your survival therefore you're basically still a baby IMO or young child whatever you want to call it. It doesn't mean you always will be or can't change, but you are the moment. I don't know how much more friendly you want to put it.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The only problem I find with your theory is people that work have to work while attending school are more disciplined and trained to handle a higher workload which is a valuable asset in itself. The people who have their parents pay for everything, which there is nothing wrong with, don't really focus on their education anymore than someone who works IMO (99%), they just have more time to party. So someone who takes 15 hours per semester and doesn't work isn't being taxed nearly as much, nor really educating themselves anymore in most cases than someone who works 20-30 per week and is taking 12 credit hours.

TrueAss,

This is what I came out of college with:

Iowa Loan Servicing:

Balance
2004-03-05SUBSIDIZED CONSOLIDATION LOAN $23,419.58
2002-01-09PLP1 $2,113.69
2001-09-12PLP1 $8,047.29
2000-08-14PLP1 $6,411.26
1999-08-18PLP1 $6,818.81
1998-08-14PLP1 $5,181.61
Total Current Balance: $51,992.24

I worked my ass off through all of college to pay for my tuition/room/board/beer/books/pussy. I took anywhere from 15 to 21 credits EVERY semester I was there save my last one. I also worked anywhere from 18 hours to 42 hours a week during school. I worked at food service (the worst job known to man) the dairy farm, refereed hockey, trained horses, washed glassware at a lab, and scooped horseshit to pay for my school. I did all this while being active in several clubs/student government. I worked every single summer of college. I have never been to spring break in my life...ever.

You want to know what my take home lesson was after 5 years of that fun? I am going to pay for my kids college so they can actually enjoy it. I want them to actually get a chance to take classes they want to take, have a chance to do some of the fun shit at college I didn't get a chance to do (you know, go out drinking on a few nights, go overseas for a year, intern somewhere for practically nothing but experience, maybe even rush a godforsaken elitist fraternity/sorority if they so wish)

I don't see that as being on the teat, I see that as my obligation as a parent. My duties as a father don't end the day little pickle-junior-sonofabitch turns 18 (or 17 when I went to college)

My parents watched me go through all that ass-pain...you know what they did when we had our first child? Started a 529 for him so he doesn't have to pay for school...

I came out of school with a 3.02 and $52k in debt...God only knows how much farther along in life I could be if I didn't have to go to college on my own...

Stop being bitter at the kids with the "rich daddy" and trying to tell those of us with kids and plans for those kids we are wrong for giving them a chance to be better than us. I was there once too...I realized I was wrong and grew up when I brought my little ankle-biters into the world. Hopefully you will too.

Pickle

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Where did I ever say they had no capability?
That's what the damn phrase means. Can a fetus in the womb survive on its own? No. If you cut the cord, it dies. If you didn't mean that, you should choose your words better, especially before accusing others of being one.

Since you keep saying that you're not one of the bitter people whose parents would/could not help with college: Are you even aware of what a private loan payment for $50,000 (and that's on the low side) would be for an 18-22 year old student who has no credit and no co-signer? Are you aware of what the average starting salary of a 22 year old college grad is?

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
As the wife to the infamous Pickle, I will have to add that, in addition to his loans, he is also paying back MY LOANS ($65K). Marriage was a decision at this point in our life, just as having children (we have 2, by the way) was.

I have no desire for my kids to go through what Pickle and I are going through right now. (see above post about Pickle and I not living the "JO lifestyle.")

Your tone, especially to HAL is extremely rude. You need to know who you are talking to, and what your tone implies. I know there wouldn't be a snowball's chance in hell that you would speak to a veteran like that to his face.

You aren't married, you don't have kids, you aren't even in the military. You need to SIT DOWN and shut the f%^k up.

p.s. pickle- don't call our 2 year old "little pickle sonofabitch." He'll end up with a complex, and turn out like you...