• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Women out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KClegg

hbmortster,
I think one reason my OSO is trying to help me out as much as possible is because he has never had a female get through OCS.
-The male stats about OCS that I have seen is that about 25-35% do not make it. As oppose to the girls where only 25-35% do make it.
cry_125.gif

I think I am going to try for June so we will have to keep in touch.
dog_125.gif

rahall79

Hello there. I am also a female applying for OCS--186. I really hope to get in, and I was really happy to see other females on this website that are applying. What do your parents think about your decision?

My parents don't know yet that I'm trying to get into the marines. They do know that I have applied for the Navy and have not gotten in. But I never told them that I started to look at the Marines instead. I'm not sure I'm going to tell them untill I apply. They were pretty supportive of my going into the Navy, so I'm hopeing they'll be supportive of the Marines too... we'll see.

usanavypilot

Everyone knows that I am applying. I did warm them up by telling them that I was applying for the Navy, that was scary enough. Once they got used to that, I told them about the Marines. I think the worst part is that my mom is just scared of me wanting to be a pilot, any other job she would feel safer with. My dad though is very supportive because his brother was a Major in the Marines. He knows how awesome the service is and what you can get out of it.
You need to stand up to them, it's kinda hard at first when they ask you all these questions you don't know, but if they really have reservations and you really care, have them call your OSO. He can usually straighten any questions out. Good luck with the application process, I hope to see you there!

hoorah2death

why is anyone afraid of telling their parents about joining the Marines. if they are afraid of you getting killed tell them, I can get killed walking down to the store. Come on here, this is your life we are talking about, do what you want to do and dont live by others expectations. My parents didnt want me to join, but I told them, Im joining and there is nothing they can do with it, If you cant stand up to your own parents about being a Marine, then I honestly dont believe you should be one. Im not trying to be mean, but its the truth.

usanavypilot

Dude,
have some compassion. Some families are different than others.
littledancerus, don't worry about it, do it in your own time. I am sure that what they think means a lot to you and that you don't want to let them down. Being a Marine is such a great priviledge they should be thrilled that you want to do this.
Live by your own rules though.

Haha, wow... reading into things a little bit there aren't we? I did not say that I'm going to let my parent's make my choices for me did I? Really, I would like to have their support and I know that I will get them to see it my way eventually, but even if I didn't it wouldn't stop me from doing what I want to do. Obviously I wouldn't give up my dream just because my parent's didn't like the idea. (Not to mention I probably have a greater chance of dieing trying to drive in this west Michigan snow than in the military... lol) But really, I think that I don't want to tell them 'till I'm closer to actully going just because... for one I don't want them to get as nervice as I will be about my getting in... and for two, I just don't have the time for that kind of phone call. So sorry if you think I should be telling my parents this instant, but we all are different and I will do my things my way and you can go ahead and do your things your way.

SemperFitz

Expert in Nameology
Funny story, I went through OCS with an Indian guy (Shakir-I think) who couldn't tell his parents that he was going into the Marine Corps. He told them he was at a boy-scout camp for 6 weeks, and they didn't allow letters! So for 6-weeks, this poor guy didn't get a single letter from his family...for those of you that have been, you know how hardcharging this is. Just a thought for those of you scared to tell your families.

plmtree

Hello Ladies,
I'm a OCC 186 hopeful and a female Marine. I see some of you are very concerned about the drop % of females in OCS and from what I've read, its pretty close to what it is in boot camp on the enlisted side. My boot camp platoon started with 73 and we graduated about 36. And as it was mentioned, it is harder on females than it is on males. We both do the exact same stuff, so physically it is harder, that is why there are so many more injuries compared to the males. Mentally, its tough too, but its only as hard as you want it to be.
Hope to be there with you in june!!

SLU_fly_girl

USMC PLC Srs 2004
Hey all! I just found the site and happen to be looking through it when I found this topic.

I am currently an officer candidate. I am an air contract and was accepted in April of 2003. I completed Jrs last summer and will return for Srs this summer. When I first talked with my OSO about applying, I was pretty worried about the drop rate as well.

Here is my experience. We started out with around 58 females in my platoon. I can't remember the exact number because probably 10 or so were NPQd (not properly qualified) within the first 3 days for medical reasons. (the first 3 days are all paper work and medical check ups). We graduated 39 females. That might not seem like alot, but I would guess about HALF of those females will return for Round 2 aka Srs.

Throughout the 6 weeks, we lost girls for medical reasons, they decided OCS wasn't for them, or they were not adjusting to the structured lifestyle. Stress fractures (in the hips and legs) are the main medical reason females are NPQd. Take your vitamins now!! We had 5 girls who wanted to DOR (drop on request) during week 4 of 6. 4 of them were allowed but did not go home until week 5 (just because you want to go home, doesn't mean they'll send you home....at least for Jrs). The 5th one was finally sent home a day or two before graduation!! Another girl just couldn't handle always being told what to do. She was not adjusting and didn't show a desire to be there. I think she was sent home week 2.

One reason our drop rate was not high was because of the motto for Jrs ("to educate and motivate"). Don't get me wrong, Jrs was the most INTENSE, yet, most REWARDING thing I have accomplished in my life. It's hard to truly explain the intensity and amazing feeling of accomplishment when all is said and done. I look forward to returning for Srs. At the same time, however, I'm scared as hell because I know that the intensity level is AT LEAST 10 times worse! They will NOT hesitate to drop any candidate. That alone motivates me to work my a$$ of now so I'm not that weak candidate.

I'll admit, it's a different game with the 10 week program. You have to be ready from the get-go. I haven't really talked to 10-weekers so I don't know the atmosphere (if they will drop people from the start or if they evaluate you for a few weeks before beginning to drop candidates). I have, however, heard of candidateS being dropped WEEK 10!

About one week after I arrived at OCS, the 10-weekers started. The female platoon started with 63 candidates and graduated around 20 or so (from what I'm told). I'm sure the drops were a combination of lacking the ability to meet standards (PT, academics and leadership) and medical (again, stress fractures!!!).

The best thing you can do is PT like crazy, ask a BUNCH of questions (either your OSO or fellow candidates) and try to get your hands on some warrior knowledge (a "blue monster" if you know any candidates who have already been to OCS). I went in not knowing any knowledge and I was fine, but the more you know going into OCS, the more sleep you will get the night before a test. OCS will be the most intense thing you will do! I can guarantee the first couple of weeks will be filled with yelling (pretty much the entire day), but after that you will be able to settle into a routine of some sort.

Please DO NOT take this as discouragement. OCS CAN BE AND IS COMPLETED BY FEMALES!! Make sure you are physically prepared and NEVER lose sight of the ULTIMATE GOAL: TO SERVE OUR COUNTRY AS A LEADER OF MARINES!!

Oh yea, I forgot to put my disclaimer in..... This is only MY experience. Everyone's experience is different from year to year and even within the company. This is just MY take on the drop rate. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to post! I'll answer anything to the best of my ability!!

SLU_fly_girl

USMC PLC Srs 2004
one more thing, we had a prior enlisted Marine ("prior E") in our platoon. she was definitely LOCKED, COCKED AND READY TO ROCK!! We were all NASTY compared to her!

Plmtree, if you do go in June, expect the other candidates to look to you for advice, suggestions, tips, etc on how to "cut corners" or improve how they do something.

We're looking to send 3 females from my OSS to the 10 week program this summer. Hope they're all accepted!!

Have any of you been accepted or are you still waiting to hear? In any case, GOOD LUCK! :)

rahall79

SLU -- I wanted to know about some of the other "female" aspects of OCS. I should be going in June, and have lots of questions the guys in my applicant group can't answer. If you could message me, AIM, MSN, or ICQ, please do. Thank You.

rahall79

SLU--

Here are a few of the questions I have about females at OCS.

-- Do they "issue" you sports bras, or do we have to bring our own? I saw two were in the bag we purchase, but curious if you could use your own.

-- I know guys get issued BVD's. What do they do for the women? I am picky about underwear I wear when I run. Again, I know on the website says to bring this stuff, but what about inspections and such.

-- I have blonde hair and wanted to know how picky they were about having rubberbands and hairpins for your hair; that are "the same color as your hair"

-- On the website it says to bring cammies and boots, yet some people say you get those things when you arrive. Which is it? :icon_mi_1

I guess that is it for now. Thank you for the info.

SLU_fly_girl

USMC PLC Srs 2004
-- Do they "issue" you sports bras, or do we have to bring our own? I saw two were in the bag we purchase, but curious if you could use your own.

You can definitely use your own. I don't remember how many I brought, but plan on using about 2 a day (one for PT in the morning and one more during the day. hygiene time will be right before you hit the rack). I'm not necessarily saying take 14. We were constantly doing laundry but I did lose one here and there if it wasn't visibily marked. Laundry sharpies are key! Your clothes will come out of the wash still marked so your chances are better of getting your clothes back...things get lost in the craziness. people end up with other people's clothing and either use it or don't return it. Again, this is my experience. I don't know how other female platoons worked.

-- I know guys get issued BVD's. What do they do for the women? I am picky about underwear I wear when I run. Again, I know on the website says to bring this stuff, but what about inspections and such.

BVDs??? I don't know what those are. I was amazed at the variety of underwear some girls showed up with. I was thinking I needed to take all white underwear. Boy was I wrong! There were girls there with bright colors and zebra print. It all depends on what is good for you. Definitely don't take underwear that you know gives you wedgies because they're hard to fix in cammies. I would stay conservative with the underwear, but the staff doesn't care. It's not part of the inspection. The only time they will actually see your underwear is if your foot locker or wall locker are dumped or during hygiene time.

-- I have blonde hair and wanted to know how picky they were about having rubberbands and hairpins for your hair; that are "the same color as your hair"

They were VERY picky with this! I would say either have hair long enough that you can pull it all back into a bun (using the sock trick) or cut it short enough that you can wear it down and it won't be in your face (must be above the collar). I can't tell you the number of periods of instruction we had on how to wear our hair properly. If you are going to keep long hair, hair gel and hairspray are definitely key to making sure it stays in! One of the girls in my platoon was a prior E. She probably only did her hair every 2 or three days. That might seem gross (trust me, after day 2, you won't care), but she used enough gel that it stayed in. It was actually smart because it saved her time. It was one less thing she had to worry about instead she was able to square away her "trash" aka personal belongings for the next day.

-- On the website it says to bring cammies and boots, yet some people say you get those things when you arrive. Which is it?

You get those when you arrive. Candidates returning for Srs bring the cammies and boots they got during Jrs. If you can, start running in boots! I was fortunate enough to not have any real problems with my feet. They gave us time to break our boots in, but we didn't do much running in them. For Srs and the 10 weekers, we'll be lucky if we run in tenny runners/go fasters/tennis shoes more than 5 or 6 times.

Any more questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.