• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Women out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usanavypilot

Are there any women out there who are applying for MC OCS or who already got commissioned? I was wondering how things are for the females...if the SIs are harder on us or what. I also heard from my OSO that only about 25% of the females who go to OCS actually make it out. Is that true? It would be nice to hear from some of you.

-hbmortster

usanavypilot

Littledancerus,
I am applying for a Pilot slot for this June. I know that since women can't do many fun things on the ground side, it is better to apply for aviation if you want to get combat experience. Otherwise, you could be in finance or supply, something that requires sitting behind a desk all day.

Cowbar, thanks for the info; do you know why most of them didn't finish?

hbmortster

Are these girls all quiting or do they get kicked out? I can't imagine just up and quiting. Are they dropping because of the PT or 'cause of the mental stress? I'm looking to go NFO or aviation command and control. Public affairs if I have to, but hopefully not.

stevew

I know someone who went PLC-C last summer and he said there was a girl there that whenever the SI's yelled at her she would start to cry. So they made a game of it and would keep on yelling at her until she shed tears. Needless to say she ended dropping. Just to give you an idea of why some girls drop.

usanavypilot

stevew,

That female that started crying should never have even thought about joining the MC, maybe the airforce
boggled_125.gif
I hope that there are some women out there who are tougher than the guys and can make it through with just as much trouble as everyone else gets.

crowbar,
again thanks for the insight.

If there are any females reading this that are going to June OCC or are hoping to, we need to talk so that we know what we are getting ourselves into.

Yea, I'm trying to go this summer. I graduate in April!! Working on it :) You're going hbmortster? Good luck! Maybe I'll be there with ya.

usanavypilot

littledancer

I am applying for this summer's OCC too. I graduated last May and decided the civilian world wasn't my cup of tea. Hopefully I will find out if I make it soon. When do you find out?

Originally posted by littledancerus
Yea, I'm trying to go this summer. I graduate in April!! Working on it :) You're going hbmortster? Good luck! Maybe I'll be there with ya.

KClegg

I am a female currently in the application process right now for OCS. My OSO said that I could get into the June class depending on how fast I want to do things. I am graduating The end of April and I don't know if I want a little more time inbetween or just start training.
These are my own theories about women at OCS from talking to people there and being a woman; nothing scientific.
I think women need to prepare themselves mentally more so than guys and need to be more confident in themselves. At OCS they want to see you defend your answers whether they are right or wrong. Also, be prepared for failure; everyone fails there billets, don't dwell on it, just move on.
It is great to meet some other girls out there. I would to talk some more.

usanavypilot

KClegg,

I would think that going right into OCS would be the good thing, that way you don't get all lazy just sitting on your A$$ the whole day. I don't know about you, but I am tempted to do that when I am not really busy. Was your OSO really gungho about getting things done for OCC 186? cause mine was. He was also very confident about getting in as a female. Was yours? It's nice to see another friendly female here.

frenchco

I am in the process of waiting for my PRK waiver and then I am applying for PLC-Jrs. I am hoping to get an air contract and become a pilot. Already took the ASTB and passed. I would make the best of any job I get though.
It is rather shocking to see how many females don't make it through OCS. I would be interested in knowing how this compares to the males stats. I personally couldn't imagine willingly dropping out. Ive invested way to much(time and money) into making this my future.
My OSO is very excited to get me contracted and shipped out. He is also confident that I will get accepted because I am female and want to go air.

usanavypilot

frenchco,

Yea, my OSO is the same way. Although I am OCC which I know is hard to get into, he thinks is excited that I am a female that wants to go air too. It would be interesting to know what the male stats are.
Good luck on that waiver, I only know of a handful of people who didn't get pilot after having it done.

My OSO is the same way too. I am also OCC, but he seems really optimistic. I am applying now and I'm already sooo excited. I can't see myself dropping out because this is something I've wanted so bad for so long and I would really feel really bad if I somehow felt I couldn't take it... I just can't see it happening. Maybe we'll be there together!!

Status
Not open for further replies.