• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Women issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If you're talking about pregnancy during the time which the candidate would be going to OCS, my guess would be the same thing that would happen to anyone else who had a temporary situation (non-permanent injury) which would prevent their commencing training: Their OCS date would be delayed until they were fit for training again. If you're talking about while still in college....probably not much, other than maybe missing a PRT. Contact a recruiter is my suggestion....or don't get pregnant (if this is, in fact, a hypothetical question).

soccermaniac723

I was just curious because I know that training will be for around 2 years and my fiancee and I would like to have children but I don't want to wait and have to take a break from flying later on. I figured having one now before graduating college would actually be easier for everyone. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be dropped from the program.

MSkinsATC

pilot
I would think that having a child at home at such a needy age while you are going through OCS, API, Primary, Advanced, and FRS would be much more painful for both of you than waiting till after, but thats MHO...plus flight school is a blast dont piss it away!!! Someone with some experience with children and flight school feel free to weigh in!

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
At some point before you are 30 you will most likely have a non-flying job. I think an infant at home while you are going through the SNA (or SNFO) pipeline is an added stress you can do without.

Speaking as an "older" dad (first kids at 38, never planned it that way, just the way it worked out), there will be plenty of time for children down the road.

We DO need some folks with direct experience to chime in, though.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
You can easily do a nonflying job for your first shore tour. I'd seriously consider waiting till then.

soccermaniac723

So waiting until the training pipeline is over would be better than having a child now? I'm 27 and don't want to wait until I'm 35 to have children but I definitely don't want to leave an infant behind with my fiancee either. Thanks for the advice and I guess knowing that my first tour can be non-flying helps me make that decision. Wait, can my first tour be non-flying or would I have to wait until a shore tour came up?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Your first shore tour. Your first sea tour will be flying. You will do a sea tour before you do a shore tour.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
As a new father myself, I see how much work it can be for a mother. You are the one who supplies everything that kid needs - sure dad is there for burping, changing, feeding the occasional bottle of pumped milk, but the baby needs mom.

Likewise, as a student I see how much work going through primary and advanced can be. This is where almost all of my attention goes right now. I do what I can at home to help mom, but we have an understanding on who does what (I go to work, she is always at 'work').

As for doing both at the same time????? I would not recommend it. Does it mean it cannot be done, of course not. Both things seem to demand just about 100% of ones attention. While I would not want a co-pilot or another pilot in a flight to be distracted, I would never want to see a kid get not get the attention they need - and for those early years mom is the one who they need, IMO.

soccermaniac723

So it would be around 5 years before I could even get around to having a kid? I think that's why I would have one now. My fiancee (luckily) is understanding to whichever path I want to take and now I'm finding it difficult to either take a career path that I really want or become a mother which is also something I really want. I wish men could have babies since it seems like it never disturbs their careers or biologial clock. I also don't want to be seen as a "typical woman" who uses pregnancy to get out of doing something or an excuse to take a shore tour instead of a sea tour. Why must it be so dang difficult for women?

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
^^^:D. I was thinking the same thing, I'm surprised he hasn't already. He's probably crafting a gem as we speak...

So it would be around 5 years before I could even get around to having a kid? I think that's why I would have one now. My fiancee (luckily) is understanding to whichever path I want to take and now I'm finding it difficult to either take a career path that I really want or become a mother which is also something I really want. I wish men could have babies since it seems like it never disturbs their careers or biologial clock. I also don't want to be seen as a "typical woman" who uses pregnancy to get out of doing something or an excuse to take a shore tour instead of a sea tour. Why must it be so dang difficult for women?

Why must it be so dang difficult for women????

Sounds like you need a lesson in biology, maybe the Navy isn't your best career path. You claim you're an enlisted Navy reservists, can I assume you mean SAR and not a TAR? If you are a SAR trust me on this, you're clueless on how the Navy really is. It isn't getting permission to go to the commissary or exchange.
Accountants and nurses make good money and they also can have kids without problems. The social experiment politicians forced on the military years ago is a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.