• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Women attending OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

amyg

It's not exactly a journal but it was something that she wrote up about OCS - she was in Class 03-00. She goes over the same information that the Navy gives you to memorize, stuff to bring, other stuff that would be helpful to have that they don't mention, and gives an overview of what to expect each week. It's basically the same stuff the Navy gives you, but with a little more information about what to expect overall while your there. I got it from my recuiter when I did my paperwork. She must have come out of the same recruiting district as me. If you still want to read it your more than welcome to it, let me know.

howlermonkey

stocktok is right about teamwork and pt. helping each other out is the key. most female roommates in ocs work together really well. I've only ever heard of one case of female roommates not getting along, but they still helped each other out anyway. I lucked out and got a bad ass for a roommate, so with hard work and team work we ended up being thought of as hard females rather than retards. help each other out and the experience will go much more smoothly, whether you have one other female or several. and if there aren't any other women, well, the guys are generally really supportive, too. I mentioned it on the other thread, 100% effort is what gets noticed.

bisouss69

What are the showers like? Is it one per hallway (communal)? Are feminine products communal as well? Also, about watches.. is there a rover on the each deck and a post at each door or is there just one to the entrance of the building. How many times will you stand watch? How dreaded is it... do the Di's and officers really grill you at every moment when they come in contact with you on your watch? When you said the guys helped with cleaning your room.. the men were able to enter your room or was it the hall way.. helping out cleaning in the barracks?

huskiealum

stocktok

thanks so much for all your info. that really helps. I was wondering about a few more things, if you don't mind answering more questions. how common is it to be "rolled back" into another class? is it usually for PT reasons? how many of your class graduated in 13 weeks? how much do they tire you out before your in-PRT? I've heard people say that you can only perform at about 80% because of how tired they make you, so you should be performing well above the in-PRT standards when you arrive. is that all true? also, will we be working out each day of the first week, or not until the second week? I don't want to loose any ground on my running speed that first week. thanks again. you are truely a great resource. thank you.

Becca

stocktok

Ok, lots of questions to answer. As far as the showers are concerned, there are about 10 shower heads to each bathroom. For females this is more than enough. The guys were often bitter because there were 50 of them and 10 showerheads, whereas there were only a couple of us on the entire floor. This is an aspect of ocs that was nice. Feminine products are not provided but they can easily be purchased at the NEX by you or your candidate officers, but go in with enough to get you by for the first week or two.

Watches were a pain, but everyone had to do them (except those who held certain billets in the class: i.e. adjutant, class pres., watchbill coordinator, etc. The DIs and class officers really didn't hassle you too much unless you had the 5am shift, but even then, there really wasn't much from them. There are two watchstanders at a time that guard the door and check ids. and make announcements. The people that actually grill you are the candidate officers that check you in and out of watch. It's best to know your gouge before you assume the watch.

As far as guys entering female rooms, as long as a door was kept open when in mixed company, there was nothing wrong with it. Everyone would clean the hallways, but usually each was responsible for their own room.

Ok, now on to huskie's questions. Rolling was one of my biggest fears while at ocs. It could happen for anything from injury, to failing evolutions (inspection, tests, etc.), to severe sickness. This doesn't mean that you will automatically roll, they often give you two chances to pass any evolution. There were 67 people that started out in my class and we ended up with 49. As far as the PT goes the first week, you check in on a sunday but don't PT at all until your In-PRT on Tuesday. The first couple of days are spent at medical and various other places. From then on you will PT Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. I don't really know about the 80% thing, it varies from person to person. Don't worry too much about losing speed that first week. The in requirements are fairly relaxed, but it is still a good idea to go as fast as you can. I can't stress enough how important PT is. Get to the male standards while you are there and you will be greatly helped.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there are further questions,
Kate

bisouss69

Stocktok,

Thanks so much for the info. I have another q though.. did you encounter an prior enlisted folks and how did they do?
-I am enlisted now and I have a few q's about PCSing to OCS with my car and some of my stuff. Were people allowed to get some time to gather their belongings from the PCS or how did people deal with it? I will be coming from Hawaii so I dont know how long it will take for my car to arrive at Pcola. I am just afraid it will be sitting on some dock for 3 months.
-Also what do most do on their liberty time if you get liberty at the end of OCS?

huskiealum

Kate,

thanks again for answering all these questions. I'm feeling a little better about going in only three weeks! yikes! okay, maybe I'm not feeling that much better. but anyway, thanks again, and I'll probably be pestering you with a few more last minute questions soon. actually, I have one now...I've heard a lot about this blanket/sleeping bag instead of sleeping under the sheets. it this really worth the two minutes it takes to make the bed? what will happen if the blanket is found? because my list of things to bring requires a blanket. I'm just confused. thanks a lot!

Becca

bisouss69

Believe me from my experience in bootcamp.. it is totally worth getting a blanket. The Navy blanket takes a bit of time to fold and if you only slept on the top of the sheets.. its a lot easier to get teh hospital corners right. In boot you had two people making your bed from each end to get it perfect.. plus they were bunk beds so it was a little harder and you had to do that all in 2 mins. Thats why I asked about the blanket.. when you dont have anytime.. anything will help. YOu will see that.. there are no hollywood showers or prepare time.. its go go go..

stocktok

Bisouss is right. Definitely bring a blanket, though you won't have it for the first week so keep it in your car or buy one at the exchange. Believe me, it's worth it. Don't worry about getting caught, as long as you remember to lock up your stuff. DI's love to rummage through unlocked lockers and have fun with the contents. One of the guys in our class found his sleeping bag in the toilet after leaving his locker open by mistake. Trust me, do not leave your stuff unlocked. Nothing good will ensue.

Bisouss, I am not entirely sure how to answer your question. What I know about PCS moves is they will automatically put your stuff into storage if you are not around to sign for it. I have no clue about your car though. You should definitely call personal property on your base and the one here to arrange it with them. I understand your concerns. As far as having priors in my class, yes we had 8 or so. Most of them did well and for the most part were a good source of information about military quirks.

Liberty was spent mostly sleeping, relaxing, studying (if needed), and occasionally going out. A lot of people got hotel rooms to get off base for awhile on the weekends they had liberty. I'd recommend getting off base when you can, if only for just a meal.

Becca, good luck in a few weeks. Have confidence in yourself and just know that in the big scheme of things, three months isn't that long. You'll do fine. Feel free to ask any questions, I don't mind.

satin_patriot

amyg

i'd love to see the female "journal" or whatever it is. is there any way i can get it? I'm still waiting for my date, but have SO MANY questions (oh, and my OPO is retiring, so he's not much help.)

NavyNCSU

My best advice to females at OCS:
Pull your weight, don't complain any more than the guys do, don't get catty with eachother (or the guys), and don't make an issue out of being female.

I am the type of person who can get along with anyone and everyone, but there were some girls at OCS who were just about unbearable. Please don't be a know-it-all, don't be "above" sweepers duties, and PLEASE don't see how many of your classmates you can date and/or sleep with. (I actually knew a girl who tried to sex her way out of sweepers, watches, etc.)

The most important thing to remember about being a female at OCS is that your actions reflect on all the other females in your class, since there will never be more than a handful of you. Believe me, it's bad when the guys you thought you were friends with start saying "The girls are always dodging work, always just trying to get laid, or whatever" all because of one girl who isn't pulling her weight in the right ways. :)

I had a weird mix of females in my original class: two were know-it-all priors who never listened to anyone and argued with each other all the time; two were normal and nice; and one was there to meet a husband. Sometimes it was worse than a sorority house. It's funny now, but it wasn't so funny then!! Do everyone a favor and go with the flow, blend in, and just try to be friends with everyone and keep the peace. That is what I did, and I made friends for life.

stocktok

I definitely agree! Fortunately, (depending on how you look at it) there was only one other girl in my class and neither of us concerned ourselves with anything but doing well and getting through. The only thing worse about the nasty rumors that go around (and believe me, they are worse than those in a sorority house) are if they are actually true. It is important to remember why you are there and stick to that.

amyg

satin_patriot,

I'd be happy to share those journals with you, they go into a little more detail about what to expect from week to week. I hope you get a class date soon, e-mail me and we can figure out how to get them to you.

amyg

stocktok (or anybody)

I saw that you graduated from OCS last April and was wondering if you could help me out with a few concerns I have - if you don't mind. I'm scheduled to report 18 Oct, and would appreciate any help. Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.