• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Women attending OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdunn

Just out of curiosity, are there any females viewing this sight who are attending, or have already attended OCS? If so, can you enlighten me on some of your experiences?

jaznups

I haven't gone through OCS yet but I think that you will find there are quite a few women who are on this site. I'm not to sure how many return after they get done with OCS but there are some women who have friends that have given them some hints.

Have you checked out the post "Where are the women" I think that's what it was called? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Jaz

When are u shipping out?

Clarity comes when the confusion is gone.

moestud

I went through OCS, but it was 5 years ago. I have ask around the squadron and not much seems to have changed, so I will answer any questions you have, if I don't have the answer, I am sure I can find it out for you. -moe

stocktok

I graduated OCS in april and am in the holding pattern right now for API, shoot me any questions you have

cjp03

For those that have gone through OCS,
how many women were in your class and
what were the living arrangements like the first week.

I leave 01/03/04, two weeks after graduation.

CJ

stocktok

i graduated ocs in april and for me there were two of us. i started around the time you will (january) but it varies from class to class. i've known of classes having zero or one, and i've also seen classes with as many as 11 females. i'd say that going in january you will probably see a class with few females, as opposed to going in the peak of summer when there are a lot more college graduates. this, however, is only my speculation.

huskiealum

okay I have some questions for you ladies. I will be going to OCS on Sept 6, and I was wondering how short they will cut our hair. I know it's not really important, and I'm sure we'll all look stupid together, but I've heard everything from "above the shoulders" to "the ugliest pixie cut you've ever seen." also, I've heard that we're divided up into running groups by speed. is that also by sex? are there longer runs where everyone is together? also, what products are allowed and what are seen as excessive? moisturizer with SPF? shaving gel? conditioner? I want to bring just what I need to feel comfortable, but I understand that the DIs are there to make you uncomfortable. and I'd like to stay under the radar as much as possible.

thanks so much

Becca

Meridiani

Somewhere around here there's another thread about women in OCS, and the hair issue was brought up there. The upshot is that no matter how short you cut your hair, the barbers at OCS will cut it and make it as hideous as possible. Expect it to be butchered to a length of 2-3 inches all around. Take a look at some of the pictures people have posted in the gallery, and you'll see that the females' hair is above the ears in a boyish cut.

stocktok

I wouldn't bother cutting your hair before you go, unless you want to. they cut it hideously short (about 3 inches on top and 1 inch in the back). it's alright though, all the females look the same. you will stick out, however, there are definitely more baldies than people with hair. i remember the first week one of the guys in our class thought "why do those GUYS get to keep their hair?" apparently not the brightest bunch, but it turned out ok.

as far as running goes, they do have some specialized group runs. this means that you will be put into a group that runs similarly to you. for example, those who run an 11 minute mile will be in the 10-11 group. it's not divided by sex and in fact they didn't happen very often in my experience. there are long runs (max. 5 miles, average: 2.5miles) in formation (as a class or group of classes) so be prepared to shorten your stride.

as far as products are concerned, all those things you mentioned are acceptable. you will be allowed a toiletries bag that can contain everything you need to feel as comfortable as possible (which isn't much). no meds though. self-medication is definitely not acceptable when you are there.

staying under the radar is impossible for females. you automatically stick out due to the hair factor, so prepare yourself for the unwanted attention. one way to lessen this is to make sure you can PT well. work as hard as you can to meet the guys' standards. my roommate and i did this in our class and our drill instructor left us alone.

let me know if there are more questions

jaznups

Stocktok,

Having only 2 of you in the room how was 4th week inspection? Did you get help from the guys or did you have to suck it up and clean the room 2 people shy of a full room?

Thanks,
Jaz

stocktok

this wasn't a problem at all. in fact we helped eachother out alot in addition to helping most of the guys in our class. the cleaning part was never an issue. when we did need help though, the guys were there to give it.

the inspections were really no different than what it would have been like with 4 people. the benefit was that they were done with our room faster because of the fewer amount of people.

amyg

I have a question for the girls that already graduated OCS....

I was looking over a journal that a girl wrote about while she was at OCS, she graduate a little while ago. I know that during the first week everybody gets a medical exam, and that the flight guys go through another exam in addition to that one. I was just wondering if these exams were the same ones you do to submit with your packet for acceptance to OCS (the one where they check your eyes, hearing, gyn exam, make you walk duck, etc...) or something different? Also what's the differnce between the exam everybody gets and the one the flight people get? (I mean other than the obvious eye exam)

Also I heard you do tons of paperwork during the first few days, wouldn't all that stuff have been done when you signed all your paperwork and was sworn in?

Thanks

Meridiani

Amy, where did you find an OCS journal written by a woman? I have never seen one. Would you be willing to share? I'd sure appreciate it!
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.