• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wisdom Teeth

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
I got my wisdom teeth out at the hospital in Pensacola. It was a fairly good experience. The dentists were competent and they let me use general anesthetic and I don't remember anything.
I got them out because they were borderline and I was going on deployment and didn't want them to be an issue then.
I am glad I picked a time when I had little else to do to have them out. My whole face was swollen and I was constantly taking Lortab for the pain and unable to eat, so it was nice to have more time off than would have been given to me.
If you have to get them out, I definitely agree with picking a time when you have lots of free days off work, not a time when going med down or having someone nickle and dime you on SIQ days will be an issue.

sickboy

pilot
I had two Navy dentists tell me I should get my wisdom teeth taken out. Once at bootcamp, and then again at my flight physical. I had them taken out in 11th grade.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I had two Navy dentists tell me I should get my wisdom teeth taken out. Once at bootcamp, and then again at my flight physical. I had them taken out in 11th grade.

Wow, that just annihilated any confidence I had in Navy dentistry...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Just remember, they're not Doctors, they're dentists... (Jerry Seinfeld)

machodiesel

My research has showed up with mixed answers so I thought I would ask this question here for someone qualified or with expeience in this field to answer.

Situation: I have my wisdom teeth and have been told countless times in the past that they were soon going to need to come out although they don't hurt. Is this an instant disqualifier at a flight physical? If so, they only time I can schedule an appointment to get them removed is 3 days before the flight physical , is that too close? And if I do go and get DQ'd can I come home and get them taken out and just submit the paperwork for approval? What's the course of action I should take.

Lucy

Not sure about qualifying, but for sanities sake, do it more than 3 days in advanced, and if you can't, just wait. Mine went great by anyones accounts, but you should not be doing that much talking that soon after. It'll only set you up for pain later and the meds will likely mess up any blood/urine screening.

Real kicker was getting two molars removed in 5th with local only at a welfare (sp) dentist. Talk about horrible. That was just for braces. 7 years later, after getting the braces off, I had to get my wisdom teeth out. Bottom teeth were impacted and top already was too short on room. Went great, discovered I am highly resistant to anesthetic (good to know!), and that anything other than advil/ibprofen/etc makes me sick.

As for speaking about waiting, once they do hurt it gets bad quick, at least in my case.

Good luck!

machodiesel

Thank you for your information. Now that that option is out of the question, does anyone know if wisdom teeth are an instant dq? And if so are you allowed to get them done after the physical and just submit paperwork?