• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wisdom Teeth

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Mods: I'm not sure if this should go here or in the A-pool forum. Move it as you see fit.

I just wanted to leave a little note for future/current A-Poolers. Get your wisdom teeth taken out in A-Pool. There's a really great Captain who does it over at NATTC and he told me that there were a couple of great reasons to get it done in Pcola. First, he made a self-deprecating joke about his age and pointed out that he had lots of experience and if you waited until your next duty station you'd be likely to find a less experienced surgeon. Second, he was telling me about how the carrier has six dentists and one maxillofacial surgeon...and you don't want to be the guy getting your teeth pulled on deployment. Apparently not many of his patients had fun with that -- especially since they can only do a local anesthetic on the carrier and can't put you to sleep. He mentioned something about the recovery process and getting sea sick, but I'm not sure if he was pulling my leg.

And if you're wondering...the top two don't hurt so much, but the bottom two aren't very much fun. I'm not going to say I enjoyed the process, but the Captain and his enlisted guys over there did a really great job and made it as painless and easy as possible.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I got mine done in College during BDCP. I was knocked the FUCK out, time travelled, and woke up to an ass-load of vicodin pills. Vicodin didn't work so well, but I tried my best to heed the warning on the label of "Avoid taking pills with alcohol". I avoided it for about 5 hours and then relented. Good times!

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I'll take my chances.

Of not getting them done until told to?

Mine are borderline, have been since high school. Not perpendicular to the other teeth to the point where they impact the roots. Almost vertical, but not quite. I'll have to wait and see what big navy says. Every other dentist would give me different advice. Some would say get them out and be done with it, others say if they haven't moved for 6 years and aren't painful, no point in surgery.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I know I only have three, but according to the dentists they haven't moved. They're just kinda hanging out where they are, yet every Navy dentist I run into tells me to make an appointment to have them taken out. To which I say 'Aye aye, sir' and walk right past the receptionist. Maybe I'll get them done before Advanced (hah), but going med down again during Primary would not be fun.

What's so bad about the bottom ones? Do they just hurt more after the fact?

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I got mine done in College during BDCP. I was knocked the FUCK out, time travelled, and woke up to an ass-load of vicodin pills. Vicodin didn't work so well, but I tried my best to heed the warning on the label of "Avoid taking pills with alcohol". I avoided it for about 5 hours and then relented. Good times!

Yeah, there was a guy in our program who was a prior. Do you remember Bob? He was space track. Anyways, he got discharged after falling down a couple decks on his CVN. He takes like four of those things a few times a day. I went drinking with him one time and saw him down four or five pills with copious amounts of alcohol.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had mine out before I enlisted with the benefit of a general anesthetic. If you do it in the Navy, you're going to have some dude coming at you with a chisel and pliars while you're awake and you'll probably have to be treated for PTSD.

Brett

Mos

None
I had mine out before I enlisted with the benefit of a general anesthetic. If you do it in the Navy, you're going to have some dude coming at you with a chisel and pliars while you're awake and you'll probably have to be treated for PTSD.

Brett

I think I know what you mean. I had mine done at OCS under local, and it was probably the worst memory from my time there. Can't imagine doing that at sea.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I know I only have three, but according to the dentists they haven't moved. They're just kinda hanging out where they are, yet every Navy dentist I run into tells me to make an appointment to have them taken out. To which I say 'Aye aye, sir' and walk right past the receptionist. Maybe I'll get them done before Advanced (hah), but going med down again during Primary would not be fun.

What's so bad about the bottom ones? Do they just hurt more after the fact?

The doctor told me the bottom ones hurt because they have to cut into the bone to get them out. Then you have to wait until the tissue covers up the bone again before it stops hurting. There is also the SWEET perk of getting to have medicated strips of gauze (tastes like awful peppermint medicine ALL the time) stuffed into the holes until the tissue heals over. I had my strips taken out on Monday only to discover by Monday night that my bone is still exposed (apparently different people heal at different rates depending on the level of bacteria and pH). Monday night was filled with lots of vicodin and pain (and yes Otto, the beer did help!!). Needless to say I had the strips put back in the following morning. I had fresh ones inserted today. Fun! :tongue2_1

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor

Brett

The two options they provide at NATTC are local anesthetic or general anesthesia. I chose the latter and I can't remember anything.

The doctor told me the other day that I said one of the funniest things he has ever heard in the recovery room. I asked him what it was that I said since I have no memory of it. Apparently he informed me that the procedure was complete and I said "Sir, with all due respect, I don't believe you."

:confused:

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Brett

I did my first two in school with local because the dentist didn't like to do general. It was like someone hitting side of my head with a hammer and chisel because it was exactly that. Once I recovered, I found a dentist who would do last two with a general. Only way to go in my book!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I had mine out right after college with a local. The Doc gave me a choice and I asked if he could position a mirror so I could watch if I took the local. He said sure and I did. It was really cool. Watched him cut an X in the teeth, stick an X shaped pry bar in the X, and pull. Cracked those suckers right into fourths that he easily pulled out. Digging for the roots was the interesting part. I could feel the pressures but no pain. Interesting experience.

Now later on at home when the local wore off - there was most definitely pain. Especially when the clot fell out of one of the empty sockets. The pain meds didn't help a lot.

Reconjoe

The only thing on my flight physical that stopped me from commissioning was my wisdom teeth so I had to pull em before they would send my RFA. Found a local dental surgeon who knocked me out for the op, but he did it with pills....no joke just 2 pink pills an hour before the operation, and then he gave me one more right before I blanked out to be sure......i'm starting to think thats what a roofie must be because I didn't remember a damn thing, it all felt like a jacked up dream....thus no trauma....but damn did it hurt afterwards.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... Get your wisdom teeth taken out in A-Pool....
Or ... don't.

If there's no GOOD reason to get them out ... why do it just so the dentists -- :eek::eek: NAVY DENTISTS :eek::eek: -- can 'practice' ??? The ONLY problem I ever had w/ a tooth in the past 30+ years was as a result of a :eek::eek: NAVY DENTIST :eek::eek: tellin' me: "you know, we REALLY SHOULD replace that filling ... "

He was wrong.

I've been told for over 40 years by dentists of various sizes, shapes, uniforms, and competencies: ... "You know, you really should have those wisdom teeth removed ... "

O.K., fine ... I declined. The result: no cavities in 'em, zero problems in 'em ... I've still got 32 teeth ... or 31 if you insist on considering the one in front I lost in high school baseball ... it's a crown. :fight_125