• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Winging Watch

Casual

Jammin'
None
citizen-eco-drive-skyhawk-a-t-watch-2.jpg

Like a couple people have said, the Citizen Eco-Drive is great. I've got the Skyhawk-AT model. It's got the whiz wheel on there, and also updates itself to the atomic clock every day. You'll never use the whiz wheel, but it looks cool. Don't buy it in a store, it'll cost you around $600. Should be able to pick it up online for around $400. The bigger your watch, the cooler you are. ;)

Pags

N/A
pilot
On another note, I don't know if this is still flightschool talking, but I don't mind using a CR-2 and carry one with me on every flight. I can figure things out pretty quick and think it would be a nice feature on a watch. Are things about to change once I hit the "real navy"?

Or you can use that dreaded skill known as "math in public". (not to hard for the 60...10lbs/mi, 20lbs/min, 2mi/min, etc, etc).

Or the whiz wheel that's required to be in every nav bag.

Or the GPS/Magic Computer that the fleet helicopter will have.

You WILL be mocked if you use your CR-2 on your watch. A buddy of mine on cruise spent about 30min telling me and another friend about how awesome his watch was because it was also a whiz wheel. We laughed at him for days. And then his 2P hid the whiz wheel from the nav bag.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Like a couple people have said, the Citizen Eco-Drive is great. I've got the Skyhawk-AT model. It's got the whiz wheel on there, and also updates itself to the atomic clock every day. You'll never use the whiz wheel, but it looks cool. Don't buy it in a store, it'll cost you around $600. Should be able to pick it up online for around $400. The bigger your watch, the cooler you are. ;)

I'm a fan of the Eco Drive. Never needs batteries, keeps great time, can switch time zones without losing synch, and shows Zulu time. Got mine (Titanium) on Ebay for $250; so hot it burned my fingers, but it was a good deal....

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_dm....m270.l1313&_odkw=citizen+eco+drive&_osacat=0

Ribida

I think the eco-drive is probably where I'll end up. The price is a bit more in my range, but still has the feature/style that I'm looking for.

The two I'm looking at right now are:

ATD53-2861.jpg
ATD53-2902.jpg

The only concern i have is scratching the glass. I know it's going to get beat up, but the omega's and a few higher end watches have the materials that is resistant to abuse, how do the citizens match up? Or is this more along the lines of, you can just replace it in a year or two because its cheaper?

Casual

Jammin'
None
The only concern i have is scratching the glass. I know it's going to get beat up, but the omega's and a few higher end watches have the materials that is resistant to abuse, how do the citizens match up? Or is this more along the lines of, you can just replace it in a year or two because its cheaper?

The glass is actually crystal, so I think it's pretty scratch resistant. The steel (or Titanium, especially) will scratch somewhat, but unless you really hit it against something, it should be fine.

Personally, I'd get one that has a stop watch feature. Can be pretty convenient. The Skyhawk models have the small analog window that can display the time, date, stop watch, timer, or alarm function.

phrogpilot73

I have the Citizen Nighthawk. I only use the whiz wheel when I show someone - "check it out, it's got a whiz wheel". It does get a bit banged up, but the Citizen service centers can replace the crystal easily and quickly.

bj7000-52e-b.jpg

Casual

Jammin'
None
I have the Citizen Nighthawk. I only use the whiz wheel when I show someone - "check it out, it's got a whiz wheel". It does get a bit banged up, but the Citizen service centers can replace the crystal easily and quickly.

Do you know how much they charge for that?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The bigger your watch, the cooler you are. ;)

Hard saying in VF-101 Hard saying log from Skipper when he overheard two LTJGs talking about biggest/coolest watches "The only people you're going to impress are other studs and boy scouts at airshows".

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Just throwing my .02 out there..
My Citizen watch's bracelet is terrible. I have sent it in to be fixed several times, yet pins that are not even removable (like 3rd from the case) still try to break free, or break period. They have even replaced the entire bracelet (free of charge I might add), with the same problems. I probably will never buy another Citizen watch again.

Re: loadtoad's two picks, the Omega X-33, and SeaMaster; The X-33 you have to be already winged when ordering, if you are, definitely jump in on it. The SeaMaster did not impress me in person at all, I had a blue one very shortly and returned it.

I'll second the Rolex GMT Master II (don't own one), and the previously mentioned Breitlings and Tags. If you have a Tourneau store nearby go to there and see what you like, they will usually make a pretty good deal if you ask.

For your price range ($600), the Tissot T-Touch might be a good call, and if you buy it from AAFES you can likely get a pretty good price when they have those coupons/sales going.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
That's weird. Not doubting your claim, but for most people the Citizen's are well made, reliable and tough watches.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
For your price range ($600), the Tissot T-Touch might be a good call

If you're really insistent on doing the watch thing and not supporting the history and tradition of Naval Aviation by buying AWGs, I'll second the Tissot recommendation.

T17_1_486_34.jpg

I have this one - the PRS200. It's a dive watch, so you won't be able to impress all the boy scouts with almost-as-fast-as-doing-it-in-your-head fuel burn calculations, but I'm one of those crazies who uses a watch to tell what time it is...old fashioned, I know.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
I've read that the Omega X-33 is open to purchase by astronauts, military pilots, and aircrew. Does that mean I would be able to pick one up with AC wings engraved on the back or do they strictly mean officers? Also, I read that there is a minimum purchase of 10 per order. Is there a group buy coming up that anyone is aware of?