• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will Someone Please Tell Me What's Going on With Scholarships??

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Undergraduate student loan debt is about the safest, easiest debt to handle. I don't get people who say "if I can't afford it outright, I'll just not go!"

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Why would I want to go into debt.

To get a degree and get a better paying job so that you can make more money in the long run, even after paying off your education loans. This is a no brainer. Plus, one of the most stable employment environments today has got to be as a newly commissioned active duty officer in the U.S. military.

Immy

If you're worried about debt and are at a private or out of state school, transfer somewhere in state. If you're at an in state public, your debt after graduation should be more than manageable.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Why would I want to go into debt. Of course my goal is to get a degree, but not if I can't straight up afford it. I already have taken out multiple loans, and life as an officer is completely unsure. I have heard that recently commissioned mids from the Academy didn't even get to serve their 5 years, but we're told to get out after only 2 years. So why go into debt if paying it off isn't a guarantee?

Where did you hear that? It's extremely uncommon to be commissioned, only to be told to pack sand. Anyone who left before their obligation was up was either a special circumstance or left the service due to failure to achieve quals (SWO in 24 months i believe, subs in however long it takes, Aviation attrite etc) and didn't re-designate. And as far as school debt goes, I can't imagine going through college without a job lined up out of the gate with a ton of debt...good thing after you get commissioned, you'll have a steady paycheck. I have about 35k in school debt...it's not hard to pay down and pay down fast. I double or triple up all of my monthly payments (they're really effing low) and will avoid paying any interest at all on them if I keep at it at this rate.