• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will Someone Please Tell Me What's Going on With Scholarships??

meggg

Will someone please tell me what's going on with scholarships? No one I have talked to has any valid information for me to work with. I'm a freshman in college, and as a college programmer for NROTC, it is frustrating not knowing if I have a chance at getting a scholarship at all. I really wish someone had information on this. Did Navy just give up on college program kids? What is the deal?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Will someone please tell me what's going on with scholarships? No one I have talked to has any valid information for me to work with. I'm a freshman in college, and as a college programmer for NROTC, it is frustrating not knowing if I have a chance at getting a scholarship at all. I really wish someone had information on this. Did Navy just give up on college program kids? What is the deal?

Your best source of information regarding scholarships at your unit will most likely be your unit staff...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What's a "college programmer for NROTC"?

Somone not on scholarship but still participating in all the ROTC activities. They can participate while competing for a scholarship. If they don't pick one up by their Junior year, they can still take the classes, but aren't "officially" part of ROTC anymore.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Somone not on scholarship but still participating in all the ROTC activities. They can participate while competing for a scholarship. If they don't pick one up by their Junior year, they can still take the classes, but aren't "officially" part of ROTC anymore.

Thanks for the enlightenment

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
However, college programmers will still get a commission upon graduation if they complete all of the required Naval Science stuff...they just had to pay for it out of their own pockets. At our unit, they are still considered part of ROTC, even if they don't get picked up for the free money. Basically, they saved themselves a trip to OCS...a couple of years ago (when money was growing on trees) MOST college programmers got picked up for a 2 or 4-year scholarship, if they didn't, they probably weren't cutting it in the program anyway.

meggg

Your best source of information regarding scholarships at your unit will most likely be your unit staff...

They have no information whatsoever. But I had heard that there will be no scholarships given at all until 2015. Rumor or not? I have no idea, but if it is, it looks like I'd better enlist...

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But that's only if they get permission from big Navy to stay in as college programmers. After sophomore year if you haven't acquired a scholarship yet you have to get approved for advanced standing in order to get a commission through NROTC. No approval for that and you're out. Nothing at that point could stop someone from taking naval science classes or, if the unit is OK with it, doing activities with the battalion, but you could only get commissioned if you applied for OCS then.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
... it looks like I'd better enlist...

So instead of taking out loans to finish school you would enlist? Why did you start school in the first place if your goal wasn't to get a degree but to have someone else pay for it?

Immy

I was told directly by the CO, as well as my company officer, that the only scholarships available for college programmers for this fiscal year are the PNS and the Tweedale (For engineering/math/etc) and that it is unlikely to change next year but they didn't know for sure. So, no national 2/3/3.5 year scholarships.

The staff at my unit seemed as baffled by the scholarship situation as any of the mids. One drill period back in October, the staff called the local officer recruiter and he came in and gave all the college programmers a brief on BDCP and NUPOC. It was very informative, and being a non-technical major I'm now looking towards that route.

WEGL12

VT-28
"I was told directly by the CO, as well as my company officer, that the only scholarships available for college programmers for this fiscal year are the PNS and the Tweedale (For engineering/math/etc) and that it is unlikely to change next year but they didn't know for sure."

When did you hear about those being available? I'm not sure if those scholarships are available. I applied for the Tweedale about two weeks ago and was nominated for it. This past Friday, the CO informed me that the package had been submitted but he told me to not plan on NETC approving the funding. He said that no scholarships are available this year and that it will be very hard for the funding to be approved. I am hoping that I get lucky and have it approved but I am not expecting it. I am going to start my BDCP, NUPOC, and PLC applications this upcoming week.

WEGL12

VT-28
However, college programmers will still get a commission upon graduation if they complete all of the required Naval Science stuff...they just had to pay for it out of their own pockets. At our unit, they are still considered part of ROTC, even if they don't get picked up for the free money. Basically, they saved themselves a trip to OCS...a couple of years ago (when money was growing on trees) MOST college programmers got picked up for a 2 or 4-year scholarship, if they didn't, they probably weren't cutting it in the program anyway.

I have heard of people doing this at military schools such as Citadel, VMI, and A&M and thought it would work at any unit. But I asked about paying my own way through because I'm really only concerned about the commission. I was told that all midshipmen have to be approved by NETC before commissioning. So without advance standing I don't think this method will work anymore. But maybe some units will still allow midshipmen to pay their way through and hope to be approved by NETC.

meggg

So instead of taking out loans to finish school you would enlist? Why did you start school in the first place if your goal wasn't to get a degree but to have someone else pay for it?

Why would I want to go into debt. Of course my goal is to get a degree, but not if I can't straight up afford it. I already have taken out multiple loans, and life as an officer is completely unsure. I have heard that recently commissioned mids from the Academy didn't even get to serve their 5 years, but we're told to get out after only 2 years. So why go into debt if paying it off isn't a guarantee?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I already have taken out multiple loans, and life as an officer is completely unsure. I have heard that recently commissioned mids from the Academy didn't even get to serve their 5 years, but we're told to get out after only 2 years. So why go into debt if paying it off isn't a guarantee?

You need to do a little more research instead of believing every bit of hearsay you come across. Officers aren't generally released before their Minimum Service Requirement is up without some sort of extenuating circumstance. If you chose to enlist to serve, or for college money (through the GI bill) fine, but make sure you do your homework and understand what you are getting into. It has been said before on this site many times, but do not enlist to become an Officer.