• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

will plantar warts get me npq'd?

krchris

Yes. Plantar warts are permanently disqualifying for all of the services. Have fun in the civilian world.

(Kindler, Gentler KBayDog: If it were me reporting to OCS with asymptomatic plantar warts, I'd treat them like ingrown hairs or a skinned knee...But that's just me ;) I'll leave it at that.

p.s. - By the end of OCS, your feet will be callused stumps anyway...)

My recruiters tell me that you can get disqualified, but the Navy typically overturns it.

Raptor2216

My recruiters tell me that you can get disqualified, but the Navy typically overturns it.

Like I said above. I showed up at MEPS with them and they just told me to get them removed and come back. I did and here I am today, in flight school.

phrogpilot73

I agree, just head to a podiatrist. Rather than the liquid nitrogen treatment, ask them to go straight to the liquid helium treatment. I got plantar warts when I was a midshipman, and they froze them every week for 2 months with nitrogen. No luck. Then they broke out the liquid helium (the application method is a lot weirder than liquid nitrogen), and one shot felt like they had frozen my entire leg up to the hip. Two days later, the wart fell out. Problem solved.

krchris

I agree, just head to a podiatrist. Rather than the liquid nitrogen treatment, ask them to go straight to the liquid helium treatment. I got plantar warts when I was a midshipman, and they froze them every week for 2 months with nitrogen. No luck. Then they broke out the liquid helium (the application method is a lot weirder than liquid nitrogen), and one shot felt like they had frozen my entire leg up to the hip. Two days later, the wart fell out. Problem solved.

Liquid Helium is one I have never heard of. That sounds better than what I ended up doing. I had them cut the plantar's out. I have now had a hole in the ball of my foot for the past month. I go to MEPS on Wednesday. I hope I can perform all their routines okay with this thing.

phrogpilot73

Liquid Helium is one I have never heard of. That sounds better than what I ended up doing.
It was pretty weird... It was a long metal probe, with some sort of trigger mechanism. They lubed up the end, and put one of those finger condoms on it (I'm thinking "where are you planning on putting that?"). Apparently, it's much colder than liquid nitrogen, so the probe can't make contact with bare skin. He held the probe against the plantars wart (on my heel), pulls the trigger for about 1 sec, and now I say "YEOW! I think my balls are frozen!" That was it. Two days later it fell out. I don't know how many people use liquid helium, but it definitely worked better than nitrogen.

Raptor2216

It was pretty weird... It was a long metal probe, with some sort of trigger mechanism. They lubed up the end, and put one of those finger condoms on it (I'm thinking "where are you planning on putting that?"). Apparently, it's much colder than liquid nitrogen, so the probe can't make contact with bare skin. He held the probe against the plantars wart (on my heel), pulls the trigger for about 1 sec, and now I say "YEOW! I think my balls are frozen!" That was it. Two days later it fell out. I don't know how many people use liquid helium, but it definitely worked better than nitrogen.

Not to sound nerdy or anything but I was watching NOVA on PBS the other day and the topic was "absolute 0". They basically talked about the evolution of cold and how scientists have managed to get extremely close to absolute zero over the centuries. Reason I mention this is because liquid helium is one of the coldest liquid known to mankind and it has some very weird properties when in the liquid form. For example, it can creep up and out of a bowl and even drip right though a glass beaker. Before this becomes any more nerdy,I'll do ahead and end it. I just thought you might be interested in knowing why your balls almost froze solid as its application. Here is more info on wikipedia if you are interested in reading about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium