• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will a sea dye marker wreck a swimming pool?

zimm17

Retired
pilot
Looking to practical joke wise-ass neighbor. I have a couple of green sea dye markers from my old SV-2 vest. Will one wreck a pool, or will it be hilariously green and then dissapate? I don't want to permanently damage anything...

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Looking to practical joke wise-ass neighbor. I have a couple of green sea dye markers from my old SV-2 vest. Will one wreck a pool, or will it be hilariously green and then dissapate? I don't want to permanently damage anything...
Toss it in and tell us how it goes.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I have a feeling it'd be one of those jokes that is hilarious when it happens, but several months later when there's a green fringe around the pool and colors haven't returned to normal that it wouldn't be so humorous. I think it'd be funny, but it's not my pool.

Lobster

I don't know about the sea dye but I know that we've gotten the fountain on campus a couple times with food coloring, buildings and grounds usually has it back to normal in about a week.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot

I love the fact that this is your 1st post ever to AW.

zimm17

Retired
pilot
I uh... had a "friend"... who sea dyed a hotel hot tub.... was back to normal the next day.

Maybe I should just break a piece off and see how that does before really loading it up. I'd hate to stain the liner and wreck the filter.

Of course I could always upper-deck it into the toilet tank...

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I did such a thing in K-ville Tx my sophmore year of H.S. in 1991.. Dad had an old sea locker from VF-84 full of all sorts of goodies...(including flares and sea dye) in the garage...of course I had to pop the lock. I tossed it in my buddy's smallish, kidney shaped pool. He was hosting a huge party because his folks were out of town. The long and the short of it.....initially, the pool turned this crazy, neon, chartreuse color under the lights....it was a big hit....and then in the morning, it looked like a burnt sienna, whale piss, brown. My buddy, Will, freaked out. We called the pool people and they were able to restore the normal water in about half an hour. There was actually a dude that's a USMC whore-nut puke that was there too...."Genital" Ben Wilson.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I actually recommend the dye marker/smoke flare combo for effect. I guess Mk 124's will work, but MK 13's will completely engulf a pool and the surrounding col-de-sac in mere seconds...allegedly.:icon_tong

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
1/2 sea-dye in the 1000 gallon solo tank at Vance was green for a week before I stopped keeping track. You'll probably have to change out the H2O, but the walls shouldn't stain (much)

Zissou

Banned
The pool will be fine so will the filter. This is a standard at any pool party I attend, never a problem. In fact it requires no clean up. If your sticking around and plan on denying involvement be sure to use disposable surgical gloves so you dont stain your hands.

If the pool has a mediocre filter system it will work the color out in 24-48 hrs.

Get some pictures.

stickygdm

pilot
If sharks spontaneously appear then you may prove one of the longest standing Naval Aviation Urban Myths of all time!

zimm17

Retired
pilot
OK, I think I'll hit it in the morning. My movers will be here, so hard to deny (PCS time). The real reason is because the neighbor was drunk one night and decided to do a 5' across swastika in my yard with round-up weed killer. Real funny. I'm sure any F-18 oceana pilot on the crosswind turn for rwy 7 saw it. I had to get a huge bag of scott's yard patch and cover it all up. Payback is sooooo much fun. Of course he's not military, otherwise that tasteless practical joke would have had some serious issues.

Oh, and I sold my washer and dryer yesterday to a nice asian guy on craigslist and had to explain the whole thing when he saw it..... what a jerk of a neighbor. As long as thing doesn't do permanent damage- it's ON.