• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why the Marines don't fly the A-10?

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
The Harrier is not a fast jet by any means of the imagination

And the prowler is a fast jet? Jk, jk, but I do know that the harrier can accelerate like a bat outta hell to like .9 Mach or something....

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
The Harrier is not a fast jet by any means of the imagination.

You don't know what the fvck you're talking about.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Whoops, sorry guys, didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch.

A Harrier is not the fastEST jet by any means of the imagination.

yes squeeze, I know how fast the thing can accelerate

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
brd2881 said:
And the prowler is a fast jet? Jk, jk, but I do know that the harrier can accelerate like a bat outta hell to like .9 Mach or something....

hey man, our top rated speed is Mach .99, so there

so the T-45 is faster, big whoop, wanna fight about it

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Before someone busts a vein or shorts out a fuse .... it's all about money.

It's ALWAYS about the money and politics when you are talking military procurement.

Period. ALOHA .....

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Before someone busts a vein or shorts out a fuse .... it's all about money.

It's ALWAYS about the money and politics when you are talking military procurement.

Period. ALOHA .....

What if the price comparison between the two? Honest question

B

Blutonski816

What if the price comparison between the two? Honest question

Notice the second word... politics...
if you get an influential senator (and a busload of his buddies) on you side, you win... if he turns to the other side... you're fvcked...
simple as that...

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
ghost119 said:
To put hinges of the wings to enable them to fold up for carrier use would make it a little less solid....

...I am not sure of the specifics, but I believe the A-10 should still be flyable with the outer half of each wing gone...

It's all a moot point, like A4s said, though. There's a 'master plan' behind every service's top brass, and the Marine Corps leadership bought into V/STOL hook, line, and sinker...

Lawman

None
Im honestly getting really raw when it comes to the Hero worship of some aircraft. The Tomcat has it, the P-51 has it, and by god the A-10 has it. Yes it has a whole lot of gun, yes it can take much more punishment then any other aircraft flying that mission, but it has its share of defficencys.

1. Its slow, if its not either A. Loitering in an area, or B. At a very forward base it wont get to a fight quick enough to be effective in making the fight go the way of our men and women on the ground. Id personally not care whats dropping the bombs if it was my head in the dirt getting shot at, I just want the thing here NOW!

2. Its armor only means it can take a bunch of punishment, however there is a differnt train of thought of, get out of the threat area and you wont take as much punishment. Its speed and the fact that it doesnt have the ability to carry a load high (I.E. no JDAMs from the stratosphere in high sam areas) are getting to be a problem. 30 years ago it was a very survivable platform, but now its starting to catch up to them.

3. In order to fix some of these defficiencys you need to put money back into the platform. Well that kinda negates its original purpose of be tough, be survivable, and be clean of gold plated crap so if you do loose one its ok. An expensive A-10 is an annacronism.

There, just trying to show things in a differnt perspective.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
emot-words.gif

1. XCAS

2. The AF lost (1) A-10 due to enemy fire "this trip to the sandbox" and (6) during Desert Storm. I'm no math major or anything, but I'm pretty sure 6 is a bigger number than 1.

3. At less than $10m a copy, even doubling the price makes it FAR cheaper than anything else we field for the most part.

...if there's one thing you should have learned by now reading this forum, it's that people who blather on about something they have no knowledge of will be made to look stupid. case in point.

Lawman

None
1. XCAS

2. The AF lost (1) A-10 due to enemy fire "this trip to the sandbox" and (6) during Desert Storm. I'm no math major or anything, but I'm pretty sure 6 is a bigger number than 1.

3. At less than $10m a copy, even doubling the price makes it FAR cheaper than anything else we field for the most part.
QUOTE]

Alright Squeeze, Im not trying to have a "My ____ is bigger then yours" arguement with anybody here Im just trying to get something out of this thread other then Hey lets all post about what an invincible aircraft the A-10 is. Maybe stimulate a good point counter point discussion on just how good the aircraft is. Its like every time anybody says anything about "Maybe its time....." Hes jumped on as if he just suggested to put your dog down or something. I mean you've got guys in here argueing the merits of putting wing folds on a 30 year old design to try and custom fit it to Marine Corp operations. So seriously, Id like to hear your take since yes I am just an aviation enthusiest with a goal towards Marine Air and you and many others are already in the community.

Ok your right, I rechecked a much better source and yeah my numbers were off. Now lets look at the one loss though, the single loss we took to enemy fire in OIF was and A-10. *(Im not counting the helicopters) So maybe there is some weight to this arguement that if you dont get hit you dont need armor? And that number didnt say how many came home shot up and were down while they had to be fixed. Some of them may have come home with battle damage that a 16 or 18 wouldnt have. However would the 16 or 18 been coming home with the same battle damage at all?

Two, Im unfamiliar with the exact specifics of XCAS but I understand the concept. Does the A-10 really do this job any better then another aircraft in the inventory. How much area can an A-10 reliably be responcible for as apose to a faster aircraft.

Yes its cheaper, even with the C upgrade. But heres the thing, now we've got an A-10 with an expanded PGM capability. Ok, we already have aircraft doing that job, and doing it well. At what point do you finally just say, no you dont need more money for a mission that the other jets do really well already.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anything they can do I can do better and I dont shoot as many friendlies-East Coast guys aside.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just for the record, I've had my Prowler close to 1.2 plenty of times. :D

Brett