• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why Pilots Get Flight Pay.

Skeeterman

Banned
An interesting carrier landing in the '60s. (No Photoshop here) Is it a good landing if you can swim away from it?

Check these sequences, with a landing speed of about 125Kts (140MPH) from touch down to ejection is about 3 seconds, traveling at over 200 ft/sec. All the pilot had to do in this 3 seconds was see the fire, realize he had flamed out (no power), let go of the controls and reach for the face curtain and pull it 18" to fire the seat. No telling what he did in his spare time.

This occurred on the aircraft carrier, FDR south of the Dominican Republic.The aircraft was an F8U-1 assigned to VF-11, and piloted by Ltjg. Terry Kryway.

Ripper Jim Roberts: I recall it clearly (*in my dreams*) , having flown that same day (*when donkeys fly*) . The state of the sea was really crappy, and when Terry made his landing, I was in the ready room watching his landing on the PLAT (*if I had only-really-positively been there*). It could have happened to any of us flying the Crusader aboard the Roosevelt that day. The deck was moving all over the place, and with only a 12 foot hook-to-ramp clearance, there was NO room for error coming aboard. Thus, but for the grace of God, any of us could have taken the same ride. ........ I think it should also be pointed out that Terry was and is an outstanding pilot. He was a member of the flight demo team, and that single event should not detract from our view of his piloting ability.

The aircraft hit hard on the stbd main mount and broke off the wheel. The wheel bounced up into the wheel well and ruptured the main fuel line, which is the cloud of fuel you see in the first picture. Take a look.
kryway001aqm9.jpg

The scraping of the bare main strut pulled the nose to the right, imposing an asymmetrical load on the tailhook, ripping it out (movies from the starboard quarter showed this). The fuel caught fire, and the rest is as you see it.
kryway002apn0.jpg

kryway003aqx7.jpg

kryway004anr4.jpg

kryway005aak0.jpg

The movies showed a 5-foot diameter vapor donut for an instant just in front of the intake at the moment the engine flamed out. Terry cobbed the throttle and felt nothing so he "read the instructions"* as the nose passed over the end of the angle.

*"Reading the instructions" is an euphemism for pulling the face curtain to fire the ejection seat There are no instructions printed there, but if there were, one could read them.... if you read really fast.

You can see him reaching for the curtain.
kryway006axb4.jpg

kryway007ako1.jpg

kryway008axg0.jpg

kryway009ahe3.jpg

Look Maw, no chute! We didn't have 0/0 (Zero altitude, Zero speed) ejection seats in those days (*if I had not been 3 years old then*) and his chute did not have time to fully deploy. He got a small abrasion on his neck from his harness -- and was wet, but that was all. Whew.

And you think you had a bad day?

The two worst Navy aircraft to fly... The F7U Cutlass and the F8U Crusader. We had more crashes with these two, than any other variant of the Navy.

(* ... at least that's what I've heard and read ... as I've never flown any of the above aircraft*)

C-Mike

Nope, can't view the pics either. I logged in to my yahoo account, altered the cookies setting on my computer, still no pics.

Skeeter, can you repost somewhere else?
Thx.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I think these are the correct pictures. I had them on my computer.
(See Above - nittany03)
To two worst Navy aircraft to fy... The F7U Cutlass and the F8U Crusader. We had more crashed with these two, than any other varriet of the Navy.

Speaking of the F7U, I have this video of one with a nasty landing. I think him and the LSO didn't get along too well....

video

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
you can copy and paste the links (go to "quote") to your story line. I can't edit your post.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To two worst Navy aircraft to fy... The F7U Cutlass and the F8U Crusader. We had more crashed with these two, than any other varriet of the Navy.
CDR John Moore (Ret.) has an entire chapter devoted to how badly the Cutlass sucked in his memoirs The Wrong Stuff. Apparently, he crashed several. Some of the stuff he describes is simultaneously scary for the action and side-splittingly hilarious the way he describes it. Well worth the read.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pics transferred . . . I also took the liberty of bringing the font down to readable size . . . if I infringed on anyone's artistic license feel free to change it back . . .

Skeeterman

Banned
nattany03, Thanks for the transfer of the photo's.
I'm no computer guru. Might learn one day on how to do all the necessary things on one.

gaetabob

pilot
Skeeterman, were there any specifics to the designs that made the F7Us and F8Us crash as much as they did? or was it just the aircraft in general? I've read that the design of the "flaps" for the F8U made carrier landings interesting when they failed...