• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why Pilots Get Flight Pay.

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
CDR John Moore (Ret.) has an entire chapter devoted to how badly the Cutlass sucked in his memoirs The Wrong Stuff. Apparently, he crashed several. Some of the stuff he describes is simultaneously scary for the action and side-splittingly hilarious the way he describes it. Well worth the read.[/QUOTE]

I met CDR Moore on a Ferry from Bremerton to Seattle. He was a great man to talk to and told some great stories about a wingman he had named Neil Armstrong. I agree, The Wrong Stuff is a great read.

Skeeterman

Banned
gaetabob, Probably twelve good reasons to list the F7U un-flyable.

1. Difficulties with the Westinghouse J34 engines.
2. When the slats were extended, the aircraft would stall. At a low speed such as landing with the slats retracted, the aircraft could go into a non-recoverable spin. This spin, called a post-stall gyration, and the next step was ejection.
3. At the marked carrier approach speed with flaps down, the aircraft would work itself into a float (lumbering), and if you hit the throttles too heavy, there wasn't any thrust to carry you over the ramp.
4. Carrier tests showed the F7U unacceptable for shipboard landings.

The Cutlass had four 20 MM canons mounted over the intakes. They had muzzle blast deflectors to prevent gases from entering the engine intake. Problem was, they were rigidly installed at the factory and we could not boresght the guns! Had a pattern all over the place and we could not get hits! This feature also led to some tubes vibrating loose and we came close to shooting ourselves down.
Carrier work was something called experimental. To begin with, we tried to old tried and true take a cut, high dip, and flare. Problem was the tip of the tailhook would be pointed up and we'd get a hook skip over all the wires. Thankfully, we began CQ with a clear deck because there was no barricade that would stop us.
After figuring out that our nose high attitude was the cause on no traps, we started using a cut further out in the groove, and holding the attitude. This led to float and on one pass, yours truly touched down by the island and had a neat time getting back airborne on burners while skimming the water. I have no recollection of who was the CO on the Hancock at that time but he must have had at least one ulcer.

Chance Vought replaced the J34's with J35's. Their number one problem.. Known to flame-outs in rain.

The "Gutless Cutlass" was also known as, the Ensign Eliminator..

Here is a prime example of a F7U Cutlass approach..

04.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
A4's...Here is one that needs locking
Yeah ... I didn't lock this one as our "Skeeter" was not too egregious with his "heroics" on this thread ... IF we can separate his "landing" on the CV that day from reality .... and it DID include an F-8 landing photo sequence that was .... "real" .... flown by one of the "Brotherhood" .... and I thought perhaps SOMEONE might benefit from it and/or a continuing discussion of Aviators and carriers ...

See ... I really do "think" about this stuff and the ramifications thereof ....

Soooooooooooooooooooo .... (whisper voice) .... should I "unlock" it .... anyone, anyone, anyone ???? :)

O.K. ... by popular demand ... (I got one response) :eek:

unlockedgr3.jpg